how can you tell if a bike was first registered abroad?

Carlosfandango

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I've got a moto morini, I've searched high and low on the V5 - I cannot see if it was first registered abroad - most morini's were and imported by North Leicester Motors, now that they have closed I have no way of knowing. any way of telling?

just a quick interest why do you need to know, or is it just interest?

I dont think you can tell, If you were or knew the original owner on the log book they could tell you but other than that I dont think you can get the information. Moto Morini may have details of what dealer it was supplied to as new from the frame number but it wont tell you if it was registered by that dealer in that country or sold by them unregistered for import somewhere else, its frowned upon now but it used to go on a lot in the past, some dealers would trawl Europe for models difficult to get here, then buy abroad and bring back sell as a new bike unused and you never knew it was a grey import. Even if there were difference in the spec between UK and Non UK versions there is no guarantee whats been done to the bike in its life time.

I have a Laverda 750 sfc when insuring it, I was asked if it was a factory imported uk model, has it had any modifications? My reply was its a 1976 bike I didnt see it new I have no picutes and I have only had it 1 day having bought it from the widow of the the previous owner who died suddenly so I cant ask him, I dont know, and I cant find out. They didnt like it but had no choice but to accept it.

I’m assuming that’s as you’ve got it for sale on eBay too a prospective eBay buyer has asked the question? If you can’t tell from your V5 then don’t waste your time further , just be honest and tell him you don’t know. I don’t believe in this instance it would make any difference to the bikes value. If he passes then somebody else will buy as you’ve priced it well enough to attract interest :thumb

Depending on how new/old your V5C is, if it's a UK model it will say "Declared new at first registration" or on the newer type of V5C "Date of first registration" above "Date of first registration in UK" which will both be the same.

Imports will say "Previously used/registered abroad" on the earlier type, and naturally on the newer type the two dates will be different.

Hi, I've got a moto morini, I've searched high and low on the V5 - I cannot see if it was first registered abroad - most morini's were and imported by North Leicester Motors, now that they have closed I have no way of knowing. any way of telling?

Only if it starts saying mama mia to you when riding, seriously it has a UK speedo on it, so looks highly likely it came to the UK very early as you hardly have any miles on that bargain bike.

Thanks guys, I should have read the V5 more closely - looks like it is a UK bike as the date first reg in UK is the same as the first reg date

Back
Top Bottom