Why are the OEM seats on a 1200GS so bloody uncomfortable?

.....no problems with seat comfort, just the peg knee angle lol..

Same here with fitting a stock Sargent to my GSA, the pegs need lowering a bit. I wish I hadn't sold my fastways when I sold my '04 bike.

Can the (expensive) adjustable/lowered BMW pegs for the LC bikes be adapted to fit the hexheads ??
Not cheap at £170 a pair but they look top quality (made by Gilles I think).

I found the seat on my 08 GSA very hard and uncomfortable, a 400 mile tank range ruined by a 100 mile seat range! I am 5ft 11 and 75kg. I had Tony Archer rework front and back seats. Front lowered by an inch and re-upholstered in memory foam, back was re-upholstered in memory foam to allow a pillion to sink in a little more and not to slide around as much. Both were finished in black non slip material rather than the the stock black and grey. Looks so much nicer (to me).
Turn round was about a week and I have no idea how much it cost as it was ages ago, I dont remember being horrified though!
This has transformed the bike, the only downside is the knee angle is now a little tighter, I could fit lower pegs but I am used to it now even with my worn out knees.

Cured my 1200lc te Rallye seat problems
Set of Motoskivees padded shorts and in warm weather a Coolcovers equivalent seat cover to alleviate stickiness from the seat
All day comfort tried other seats and an air hawk no good for me this is an altogether cheaper alternative .350+ miles a day no problems .

I think the real issue with the seat is that it is uniform in firmness meaning pressure ends up on your spine instead of butt cheeks. The Sargent and other seat (mine is Wunderlisch...brilliant) sort this out by having a firmer element under the but relieving pressure on the spine. Also the OEM seat would crush my nuts after a while as it pushes you forward....sorted by tasing the front and lowering the back...but not ideal. Again after market sorts this.

As to the GSA screen mentioned earlier....easily sorted withe the addition of an MRA x creen which removes all buffeting and much noise....90mph cruising visor up....best and cheapest mod I have done.

Back
Top Bottom