3 Things the 1250 GS needs... !

Boxerlust

Reaction score
3 things I would like to see to keep me happy and upgrade to a new one ;
The easiest improvement first.
- Make the right bag as big as the left one ! Why loose valuable space if it would be so easy to put a pipe under the seat of the GS ? It always urks me if I see how small the right bag is on the inside compared to the left one due to the location of the exhaust pipe...:(
Second improvement would be pretty easy to archive too.
- Increase bore & stroke by 3 mm to 106 / 79 for a full 1400 cc !
150 HP/NM would be enough to keep us from not getting bored...:D The current 1250 is already pretty healthy with good Torque but a little more steam on top for S1000XR levels of acceleration would definitely more than welcome to keep us entertained...:thumby:
The 3rd improvement would be harder to archive because you want the bike still be affordable and solid enough to load up with gear or even passenger & gear.
Let say the current GS with 20 liters in the tank weighs 260 Kg and the Adventure with 30 liters on board as also added crash guards and accessory lights weighs in at 280 Kg wet.
I say 20 liters it 4 liters short and 30 liters is great but you really don't need so much fuel on board.
- I say 20 KG less so 240 KG with 24 liters tank size with 150 HP/NM should be the goal for the next GS,the R1400GS...:thumby:
320 mm brake-rotors and a real key instead of keyless since you need a real key anyways to operate the locks of the bags would be nice,too !
And of course a 17 inch "XR" cast wheel option with the right geometry right from the factory would be appreciated,too...;)
I think this is all to make the GS "perfect" !

No.

The R1250 needs a £5000 price drop

No.

The R1250 needs a £5000 price drop
And rust protection.

In all seriousness I think it needs an extra gear, customisable TFT, bigger alu top case and for the triple black GSA to come with the same gel seat that comes on the regular TB GS. with tinted winglets and screen by default.

3 things

1. looks like a motorbike rather than a two wheeled klingon fighter (see 1150GS or the new Guzzi V85)
2. proper finishing/paintwork that doesn't require engine and/or driveshaft changes after 20k miles
3. as above, drop the price by 5k by offering a basic version without all the unnecessary electrickery and other bollocks

Couldn't give a fuck about 150bhp, I've got other toys for that sort of thing.

This is the first in the series for the 1250. BMW always allow for upgrades in their models, I've suffered from this syndrome many times, but it's a hell of a starting point .... top of the class..... but in two years we'll be seeing tweeks you can bet. you won't be seeing 5 grand back in your pocket tho' any improvement is gonna cost yer.

If you want a 5 grand price drop buy a USED one !
They won't get any cheaper especially if they are getting lighter because lighter materials are more expensive and I would never buy a german product like a BMW Made in China...:(
It is only real if it comes from Germany or Austria which was southern Germany not too long ago...:D
And no I don't no chain driven KTM,either...;)

Heated seat and central locking luggage.

The GS needs to go on a diet. For us mere mortals at 90kg and under 6’ the weight is now getting stupid. Then add 3 Varios which alone weigh, fucking lots, and the overall kerb weight is getting stupid.

3 things I would like to see to keep me happy and upgrade to a new one ;
The easiest improvement first.
- Make the right bag as big as the left one ! Why loose valuable space if it would be so easy to put a pipe under the seat of the GS ? It always urks me if I see how small the right bag is on the inside compared to the left one due to the location of the exhaust pipe...:(

You don't need to put the exhaust under the seat to get equal size bags. Probably wouldn't be practical anyway due to heat dissipation problems and because there is not enough space there without reducing wheel travel. Just lower the exhaust to a sensible angle like I have, and two equal sized bags is then easy.

A6K5-50796-L.jpg

A6K5-50785-L.jpg

1. looks like a motorbike rather than a two wheeled klingon fighter (see 1150GS or the new Guzzi V85)
2. proper finishing/paintwork that doesn't require engine and/or driveshaft changes after 20k miles
3. as above, drop the price by 5k by offering a basic version without all the unnecessary electrickery and other bollocks

Couldn't give a fuck about 150bhp, I've got other toys for that sort of thing.

Re (3), there is already a back to basics / cheaper GS and GSA without the tech, e.g. the base GSA 1250 is about £14400 I believe. That's about £3k cheaper than the TE.

a real key instead of keyless since you need a real key anyways to operate the locks of the bags would be nice,too !

They could install the switch gear and associated baggage buttons off the K1600 which has a central locking button on the right cluster

In all seriousness I think it needs an extra gear, customisable TFT, bigger alu top case

^ this
A 7th gear is definitely needed for long distance road touring. Would be a real game changer on the market too - first 7spd motorbike!

Just sort out the rusty subframe, side stand and centre stand and corrosion and associated paint bubbling on the swinging arm - just got my 1200 sorted under warranty - I can't imagine the 1250 will be any better.

You are buying another 1250 boxerlust ? You rode the one you have to Mexico and it weaves at 137 mph ! Why do you want another ? Or is this the list you want to see before you splash out again ?

Thank God the great majority of GS riders want a GS, not a super sports bike that looks like a GS. It's unfortunate that this forum seems to now have more members of the latter group 😞

99.9999999 ...... of riders on the road, or off-road, don't even come close to using the capabilities of the bikes they own, whatever it is.

The "BMW need to make a 150/200hp GS" brigade are invariably sports bike riders who have jumped on the GS bandwagon, not riders who want a "real, do it all" GS.

^ this
A 7th gear is definitely needed for long distance road touring. Would be a real game changer on the market too - first 7spd motorbike!

Can hardly get past 5th gear now with all the cameras, thank got there are a few bits of the German motorway unlimited, but dwindling by the year, 7th gear welllllllllllllllll

Back
Top Bottom