1100GS centre stand removal

donkeydoo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Been toying with the idea of removing and cleaning centre stand.

The reason is it needs a little nudge to fully retract up when taking off stand, I can live with this as it's been like it for ages but if it;s easy enough will have a go but if it's a real faff will just leave as is...

Cheers

Mine does that too. Any idea why? The movement feels smooth enough. Not had the bike long and thought it was perhaps normal just like older Bm's used to be. But perhaps its not.

Use chain lube on your main and side stands :)

Good idea.. I take it the main stand should retract on its own then unlike my R90 which needs a lift..?

No.

BMW stands are made that way on purpose.
You put the stand down with your foot and it should stay in place while you re-arrange yourself and place your full weight onto the stand so making it easier to lift the bike onto the stand.

1100 models have a lightweight "spigot" sticking out from the main stand which should just be used for lowering the stand, which then stays in place so you can put your foot on the "pad" on the bottom of the stand foot. People use the spigot to try and lift the bike onto the stand, which breaks off or bends. Have a look at how many 1100 models have the spigot broken off by owners who don't know how to use BMW stands. :D

This bmw stand "quirk" has been used on all their models since the 1970's, maybe even on the pre 1970 models.

Thanks Neil..confirms what I originally thought. All is well..

Steptoe another job you have saved me wasting my time on.

God knows what sort of mess I could have gotten into trying to take it off..

Cheers again

glad i read this. My 1150R has just started showing this slow/quiet closing thing when main stand lifts itself and I was going to oil it etc but now I can just drink more! Wicked

Well my stand has always fully retracted whether pushing it down or taking off the stand :)

So did both my 1150s.. my 96 1100 behaves in the old bm way? What year is yours Tim?

Back
Top Bottom