Bluetooth in Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fancy Pants

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve read that it’s prohibited to use Bluetooth headsets in Spain...seems ridiculous! Anyone had problems with Police stopping them over this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure it's not a problem for visitors, I'd just say I'm passing through and it's not connected señor
I'm not a regular rider there but planning on a trip this September and I'll be using mine regardless.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It's not bluetooth headsets per se that are illegal, it's the use of any in/on ear device that is not allowed.

A brilliant initiative in my book, why the feck would you want to talk to anybody whilst riding a bike................

Andres

I don't want to talk to anyone either - but i like my GPS instructions and occasional music.

It's not bluetooth headsets per se that are illegal, it's the use of any in/on ear device that is not allowed.

A brilliant initiative in my book, why the feck would you want to talk to anybody whilst riding a bike................

Andres

You obviously do not have the other half pillion.........;) on another note the Guarda Civil are more pissed off with Gopros etc, they do not want their picture taken.................as most coppers here in Germany also they say turn off the recording, when they stop you.

Got stopped last year and while we had comms, it was the ear plugs that they had a problem with. Said they were not allowed on the grounds of safety...
Strange as tinnitus is quite unpleasant.

Will be wearing them again in September

I’ve read it’s illegal to speed in countries. Bluetooth in Spain is the least of your worries.

From what I could find out, having intercom with helmet speakers was fine, having intercom with helmet speakers AND earplugs was fine, but in-ear speakers (I have Ultimate Ear monitors) is not fine. It makes little sense really.

I have no helmet speakers and connect earplugs to intercom unit with the usual cable. I made a point of keeping the cable as short as possible so it wasn't advertising the fact and had no problems, even riding around in areas with lots of police. My plan if challenged was to plead ignorance and revert to normal earplugs and bike speakers for sat nav instructions. I can't ride without any hearing protection - my tinnitus is already a real problem.

As for "who'd want to talk to a pillion" comments: some of us clearly don't see pillions as being a nuisance and actually enjoy talking to our other halves. Would you sit in a car for hours in stony silence?

We find that the ability to chat, confirm direction, point out sights, abuse other road users, remind me to stay on the right etc etc a great boon and adds a whole other dimension for our biking hols. I spend the rest of my biking year on my own, quite happily, but enjoy the comms with my beloved on hols.

Getting excited now....2 weeks today and we'll be in the Princess Seaways Sky Bar!

From what I could find out, having intercom with helmet speakers was fine, having intercom with helmet speakers AND earplugs was fine, but in-ear speakers (I have Ultimate Ear monitors) is not fine. It makes little sense really.

I have no helmet speakers and connect earplugs to intercom unit with the usual cable. I made a point of keeping the cable as short as possible so it wasn't advertising the fact and had no problems, even riding around in areas with lots of police. My plan if challenged was to plead ignorance and revert to normal earplugs and bike speakers for sat nav instructions. I can't ride without any hearing protection - my tinnitus is already a real problem.

As for "who'd want to talk to a pillion" comments: some of us clearly don't see pillions as being a nuisance and actually enjoy talking to our other halves. Would you sit in a car for hours in stony silence?

Thank you for the info, Its nice to know not all men see their other half as some kind of burden when they travel! I don’t ride pillion so the kidney punch and head slap don’t work, and although we don’t chatter on all day it’s nice to have the occasional conversation and it’s handy when I need to pull over for loo or want a coffee

Thank you for the info, Its nice to know not all men see their other half as some kind of burden when they travel! I don’t ride pillion so the kidney punch and head slap don’t work, and although we don’t chatter on all day it’s nice to have the occasional conversation and it’s handy when I need to pull over for loo or want a coffee

My other half does not chatter all day, just makes me jump out of my skin, when she screeches, (did ya see that) in French by the way..............:D

My other half does not chatter all day, just makes me jump out of my skin, when she screeches, (did ya see that) in French by the way..............:D

She’s just making sure you haven’t dozed off and you could forgive a lovely french accent anything

Surely the simple answer, to avoid hassle, is to keep it discreet.

Ride along with you flip helmet open talking shite with a mic on display is bound to attract attention, whether you are legal technically or not. Whether you get a tug to check you out depends on whether the plod/GC can be bothered to look through your docs. Usually not in my experience, unless they have seen other infringements or are spot checking - say for daytime DD.

Thank you for the info, Its nice to know not all men see their other half as some kind of burden when they travel! I...............

Sent from my iPhone using Wankatalk

You're making some very big assumptions there aren't you :nenau

Who said I see the Lovely Amanda as a burden or nuisance :nenau

We've ridden all over Europe together and as far south as Mauritania on the bike but she would no more want an intercom than I would and for very similar reasons.

Yes, of course we talk in the car. But a car is a car isn't it, it's a boring means to an end and you are travelling in a shared space. It's not a bike. The riding bit of riding a bike is essentially a solo, selfish pursuit and as such 'I' enjoy 'being in the moment' on a bike (not to mention having as much of my concentration as possible on the road and traffic). For the very same reason I don't listen to music on a bike either.

Each to their own but don't make such assumptions.

Andres

Just back from two weeks in Spain and Portugal.

Flip front helmet and chatting away with a mate throughout the trip through towns, villages and quite a few Police.

Never had any issue whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom