DCT Rear Brake Conversion

Just another thought.....

On my bike I have a 'Gravel' mode button which makes the throttle more aggressive. It's a physical button that defaults 'Off'

Do you have a Gravel Mode button, and does it default 'Off' or does your bike remember 'Last Settings'

If so, make sure it's turned off.

Thanks again, Warlord. I'm pretty sure G button is off but will check. Once I have the conversion done I will let you know how it goes.

All the best.
Joe

I really should have read this whole thread before I started my other one about the LHRB on my DCT...

But, I think I'm there now with what I'm doing:
- Magura DOT 3/4 hydraulic clutch lever & m/cyl to go on bars (quite an old one, as the newer ones are mineral oil, not brake fluid)
- CRF450 rear brake m/cyl, so that I can then fit an adaptor from Smokn (Alan Buchanan on 01294 605377) to enable front hose to go onto top of m/cyl, whilst rear hose stays in place
- original rear m/cyl wouldn't work, because the top fitting is the wrong size. The banjo on the new front brake hose at the rear m/cyl end has to be 8mm, not 10mm to fit with Alan's adapter

I'll add some pictures when it's all done. I've removed the whole original rear parking brake set-up and fitted a bullet parking brake gizmo on the front brake. I had the Magura and CRF450 rear m/cyl already, as I was going to fit a LHRB to something else, so this exercise shouldn't be too expensive from where I started.

Neil

I said I'd update/add pictures, but obviously never did....
I changed my approach, bought a HoHey Stunt Handbrake Junction Valve Adapter from Moto Madness in the States (as recommended by dean0n0 on another thread). This was expensive for what it was ($60 + delivery) and took a lot of chasing before they sent it. Don't think much of their service. Very slow response to emails.
Anyway, fitted it in conjunction with a long hose from eBay and a front brake m/cylinder and lever from a Honda Silverwing scooter (£14 used off eBay). Hose long enough to avoid having to remove the tank to route it.
This works well for what I wanted, which is something to steady the bike up, not a full-on rear brake (just in case I forget that it's not a clutch and haul on it). Because I still have the foot brake lever, I can use that if I want more rear brake power.
It feels a bit weird if you use both at once, as the pressure pushes back. So, if you have the LHRB engaged and press the foot lever, the bar lever moves out against your fingers.
I can also use the LHRB when backing the bike down my steep drive past the car to the garage. The front brake just locks the wheel and the bike continues to slide back! On a conventionally geared bike, you can have it in gear with the engine off and use the clutch as a back brake.
I've got a Bullet parking brake on the front m/cylinder banjo bolt. Also from the States and also expensive, but their customer service is very good.
The CRF450 rear m/cylinder and Smokin' LHRB set-up went on the GasGas EC300, which has a Rekluse clutch.

This first video must be as far as you can get for simplicity compared to the second video below (and Warlord's good work) but must be useful as a simple 'try it and see' for slow speed techy stuff?

Back
Top Bottom