DCT Rear Brake Conversion

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering a rear brake conversion on my HAT DCT.

Remove my foot brake completely, and add a left handlebar rear brake lever and reservoir.

Anybody else done it? Any advice?

I might be wrong, but I would think you would need fairly strong left hand to apply same strength as the foot pedal, just a thought, but other bikes have it so it must be possible, just get a scooter and be happy....:D

I might be wrong, but I would think you would need fairly strong left hand to apply same strength as the foot pedal, just a thought, but other bikes have it so it must be possible, just get a scooter and be happy....:D

:D It is my scooter

We've had a few customers do the conversion using the X-ADV master cylinder - drop me a line if you need more detail :thumb2

Some benefits of a left hand rear brake lever on a DCT Bike.....

A) Remove rear foot lever so it can't get smashed off, or bent, or catch twigs and crap....

B) Keep both feet planted on pegs with no involvement over brake controls. Ideal for MX Boots and rough ground.

C) Much better control of DCT power delivery over technical terrain, and control whisky throttle.

D) Better rear wheel skid control on trails.

E) Keep both feet planted on the ground and still have full control over front and rear brakes (ideal for hills and adverse cambers) where it becomes tricky.

F) Nobody will ever be able to ride it without killing themselves... so instant Karma for pikeys who try to steal it

I'm seriously considering a rear brake conversion on my HAT DCT.

Remove my foot brake completely, and add a left handlebar rear brake lever and reservoir.

Anybody else done it? Any advice?
So long as you don’t forget yourself and give the “clutch” a good pull! JJH

Don’t suppose there is much enough room for a thumb brake like a lot of top road & Track riders use ?

I jump on my GTS300 and have no problem with using the left lever as a rear brake instead of a clutch, after all most of us have been riding pushbikes for a lot longer than motorcycles, so I don’t think you’d have a problem. I guess it would be easier if you get ride of the AT handbrake first and use a scooter system like on the CT mounted elsewhere on the bars.

I jump on my GTS300 and have no problem with using the left lever as a rear brake instead of a clutch, after all most of us have been riding pushbikes for a lot longer than motorcycles, so I don’t think you’d have a problem. I guess it would be easier if you get ride of the AT handbrake first and use a scooter system like on the CT mounted elsewhere on the bars.

I don't think it'll be a problem either.... but very handy and will go towards solving the DCT weakest link off-road

Im about to do the conversion and rather than tap the rear master cylinder for the additional brake line, can anyone recommend an alternative method.

Im about to do the conversion and rather than tap the rear master cylinder for the additional brake line, can anyone recommend an alternative method.

I've just bought a used rear master brake cylinder off eBay (2017 HAT) for £45 delivered.

So it needn't be expensive, and you needn't damage your own.

This way it can be sorted remotely off the bike first.

Also, what method have you decided on? which components?

Also, what method have you decided on? which components?

Im going with the X-adv rear brake and tap it into the reservoir line-in on the master, id prefer not to have to tap the master so looking for an alternative fix for the banjo. Handbrake wise, I'm going to look at the vfr set-up, theres plenty on ebay otherwise ill just make one from a smaller lever set up.

Back
Top Bottom