I Need A New GPS.

Taff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For the last 5 years I've bee saying that I need to change my GPS; the 13 yr old trusty Garmin 2610 has served me very well and still gets taken on trips abroad, but is now showing its age and probably needs to retire to be replaced. I don't mind paying a bit extra for quality. :thumb2

I have only ever used Garmin (a StreetPoilot III and the 2610) so my tendency is to stick with them as I have never had an issue with Garmin, but I am open minded and if I reckon there is a better GPS I would change. To me the main features needs to be:

• Must be able to be easily transferred between the bike and the car - I have a Migsel Mount and plug on the bike.
  • Should have an internal battery - although I don't mind it having replaceable batteries as back up.
  • The ability to store and play music would be an advantage but certainly isn't essential.
I admit I have totally lost touch with what's available, but I'm sure you will come up trumps again. :D

I have the tomtom 550 Rider. It will do all of that, albeit I dont listen to music when I am riding and in rthe car I use my phone for music. You can get a car mount for it, but I use carplay and google maps, so it's not something I have experience of using. It uses your phone for internet connectivity for traffic and speed cameras which ca be a pain in the arse when it disconnects mid trip (which happens a fair amount for me. Not sure if that is a phone issue, a SatNav issue or a me issue) but when it is connected it's great. If you just wanted A to B advice, it's fine and the rerouting is OK when needed too.

Not the cheapest.

What bike do you have your GPS on at the moment and maybe a picture would help, so much out there but probaly the new Garmin 345 would be a start.
A 1150 GS Adventure with a Migsel Mount.

I have the tomtom 550 Rider. It uses your phone for internet connectivity for traffic and speed cameras which ca be a pain in the arse when it disconnects mid trip (which happens a fair amount for me. Not sure if that is a phone issue, a SatNav issue or a me issue) but when it is connected it's great. If you just wanted A to B advice, it's fine and the rerouting is OK when needed too.
Thanks Auwyn but I would prefer it as a stand-alone GPS rather than it relying on my mobile. Just one more thing to go wrong. :thumb2

I have a BMW Nav iV for sale

lifetime maps - 32gb SD card & a years speedcam subscription on it

It's Garmin based so should feel the same

PM if you want pics and more details

For the last 5 years I've bee saying that I need to change my GPS; the 13 yr old trusty Garmin 2610 has served me very well and still gets taken on trips abroad, but is now showing its age and probably needs to retire to be replaced. I don't mind paying a bit extra for quality. :thumb2

I have only ever used Garmin (a StreetPoilot III and the 2610) so my tendency is to stick with them as I have never had an issue with Garmin, but I am open minded and if I reckon there is a better GPS I would change. To me the main features needs to be:

• Must be able to be easily transferred between the bike and the car - I have a Migsel Mount and plug on the bike.
  • Should have an internal battery - although I don't mind it having replaceable batteries as back up.
  • The ability to store and play music would be an advantage but certainly isn't essential.
I admit I have totally lost touch with what's available, but I'm sure you will come up trumps again. :D

So Taff, here we are two years later, what did you eventually go for?
I'm in the same position of having had my 2610 die, having moved up from a Streetpilot III years ago as well.
On an 1150 Adv too.
So, what did you get after all? And if you don't mind, why? TIA!

I'm in the same position of having had my 2610 die, having moved up from a Streetpilot III years ago as well.
On an 1150 Adv too.

Likewise...................on my 1150's I still use the 2610's and they perform well, with excellent routing for motorcycling

I have a cupboard full of 'em, as spares and backup

However I have just bought the latest Garmin offering - the Zumo XT, for my Tenere 700, mainly because it will do road and offroad routes in Europe and to be honest it's an amazing bit of kit, only tried it in the car so far (bought in Garmin's Black Friday Sale, 3-4 weeks ago)

However the 2610's may well remain on the 1150's

On an 1150 Adv too.

Navigator IV or V or their Garmin equivalents were and still are both very good, well made, devices. You’ll find them on sale here or on the www.

It really depends on the use you make of it.
For general traveling, the XT is a good call - especially if Garmin keeps sorting all the small firmware bugs.

I'm still using a Zumo 550 with nearly 14 year old maps on my bike. It gets me where I want to go.

Car has its own nav system so the Zumo is rarely used in the car.

tom

Thanks guys. My Volvo has its own satnav, so this would mainly be for the bike with occasional use in the VW campervan. I see XT's for sale in a few vendors for £350, so might keep an eye out on the sales coming up - if the sales come up. Thank you!

Thanks guys. My Volvo has its own satnav, so this would mainly be for the bike with occasional use in the VW campervan. I see XT's for sale in a few vendors for £350, so might keep an eye out on the sales coming up - if the sales come up. Thank you!

I managed to bag a new XT in Garmin’s Black Friday sale 3-4 weeks ago for £225

So sales do happen

I got an xt earlier in the year and would also recommend it, not to say it does not have its faults but generally pretty damn good, wife has a tomtom and I much prefer the garmin

It would seem that I have just missed the boat with Garmin.com and their offer of an XT for £350 from Christmas until now. Today on the Garmin.com website it has gone up to £429.99. Hey ho! :blast

Back
Top Bottom