Another bitch about insurance.

Deleted account 221212001

Reaction score
I’m currently with IAM Surety in Belfast and have been for a good few years now. Renewal date is 1st July and they’ve quoted me £417 including legal cover and NCB protection fort a 68 plate GS Rallye, maybe it’s me just being a tight bastard but that seems steep.
I then try the Meerkat stuff and the annoying opera singer and their quotes make the first one look good.

I’m 54, held a bike licence since I was 17, got 9 years continuous no claims, no convictions, full time employment, bike is garaged all the time, only need SDP inc commuting and doing less than 5k miles per year.

Downside is I live in Bradford, West Yorkshire which I think used to be identified as one of the worst places for uninsured vehicles and fraudulent claims, crash for cash etc.

Anyone know any alternative insurance brokers who are really competitive or am I simply destined to cough up the £417?

I am with IAM, paid £267 last year guess that means mine will go up in July

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a bit older but have just paid Hastings Direct £166, Protected NCD, SDP on a R1200 rs so £417 seems a tad excessive. What excess do you have? Jacking that up a bit may help.

try https://www.moneysupermarket.com/motorbike-insurance/quote/PersonalInformation1.aspx - they have more underwriters on their panel and are not tied to one of the main insurers. My S1000XR insurance came from here, underwritten by Axa via One Call Insurance. £116 at end of May

Also, check the cashback sites like Quidco and Topcashback. My R1200RS insurance will be £87 if Hastings cough up the £20 to Topcashback - both sites have their own comparison tools run by Quotezone. Policy started earlier this month.

I don't live in Bradford but in a quiet cul de sac on the edge of Cheltenham...

I'm a bit older but have just paid Hastings Direct £166, Protected NCD, SDP on a R1200 rs so £417 seems a tad excessive. What excess do you have? Jacking that up a bit may help.

I had a voluntary £100 and compulsory £350, I’ve played around with the excess, it didn’t make any significant difference unfortunately.

No but when i moved from BD7 to halifax my insurance was less than half. The mother in law lives in sleepy Wilsden but still gets screwed because her postcode starts BD.

Yeah and I think that’s my stumbling block. Too many uninsured motorists who cause higher premiums for other law abiding people.

@Bountyhunter, I'm also with IAM insurance (through Cornmarket insurance) and we go through the same dance every year. They send me a quote which is a bit high, I go onto confused.com and find the lowest equivalent quote, then ring them up.

Every year for the last 5 years or so, they have matched the confused.com quote, as long as it is comparable. To complicate it further I also have a scooter on the policy, but they just add an additional fixed amount (about £40) for the scoot once we have agreed a price.

Talk to them, have a comparison ready with similar/same excess and cover.

RBW.

Had to laugh recently at one of those police camera programs that was set in Bradford. "PC so and so is starting his shift looking for uninsured drivers". Surely that would be like looking for stars on a clear night :D

RBW, hi, yes I’ve done exactly the same as you the last few years and every time without fail they have price matched. However this time they didn’t seem so enthusiastic about offering the price match so I mentioned it to them. Their response was less than promising but most certainly if I find a better quote I’ll run it past them.

Had to laugh recently at one of those police camera programs that was set in Bradford. "PC so and so is starting his shift looking for uninsured drivers". Surely that would be like looking for stars on a clear night :D

You are of course spot on, I very recently worked at Halifax PS, and many of my colleagues would set off from Bradford PS to come over to our neck of the woods for various projects etc. Invariably within a mile or so, they would either be seizing cars, pursuing cars or taking people to their recently booked en-suite facilities with breakfast included.

It must be down to your postcode ... in sleepy Sussex a new GSA less than 6000 miles a year garaged all the other boxes ticked and I am only paying £184 fully comp. Ps .. Bounty Hunter I know lives in a dodgy area :)

Back
Top Bottom