Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel strip to float conversion complete guide.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Fuel strip to float conversion complete guide.

Hi
    I have discovered this by mistake...I was working on the ESA r1200gs and it makes change from my suspension posts...
    The main thingis it works!
    And you don't need any magical devices!!!
    So before you start you will need
    1 OEM FLOAT TYPE SENSOR FOR YOUR MODEL
    anyK25 After 2010 should have one...(not early 2010 gsa this comes with strip)
    GSA float is mounted on the pump
    GS float is mounted on the fuel cup
    This includes models from 2006 to 2010 ADV (I'm working on 2010ADV)
    2 Moto Scan App with OBD linkLx
    3 basic mechanical skill and tools

FIRST Make sure your tank is fairly empty!!! REMOVE THE FUEL STRIP AND INSTALL THE FLOAT (I DON'T HAVE THE PICTURES SHOWING THAT )float for GSA on the fuel pump picture one

Now time to make it work
    For the ZFE to be able to read the new sensor you need to swop the pins in the main connector pin 34 (green with red trace )and 35(brown with blue trace) needs to be moved to 21 and 37 on the ZFE connector
    Picture 2
    Check the pictures on how to disassemble the connector and remove blanking pins.
    After removing transparent retainer push on the black and white inserts they will come out then remove the top part by pressing four little clips in every corner
    Next, remove blanking pins in the location 37 black connector and 21 white connectors.
    Swop the cable and insert blanking pins in the old locations 34,35 this will stop moisture going into the connector
    On the pictures below...

Programming!
    Without this computer "ZFE" doesn't know you just installed float type sensor...
    Connect the cable find your bike on the list K25ADV in my case...
    Go to central chase electronics ZFE
    and find Thermo Coupler FLS 08 and change the value to Potentiometer. Press CODE
    Next, find INDUCTIVE FUEL SENSOR change to"deactivate" press code.
    You're done! Your old lady finally knows how to measure fuel properly no more yellow triangle...
    Install the tank and other connectors.
    Why BMW didn't do that on the recall???
    You can get fuel float on ebuy or Motorworks for about 40-80 subject to availability I guess...
    If anyone needs more explanation just ask If not me maybe someone else will assist you

I'm using a spare pump with sensor to demonstrate how it works
    float is already in the tank...
    Good luck with the conversion.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thank you for the post.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting just clarifying, are you saying this will work for a 2006 GSA? if so what part number for new float sensor do i need for float sensor to fit my bike??
    Can't seem to find one on Motor works site

I recently bought a replacement fuel strip but would be tempted to sort it once and for all if this really works

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey_GS View Post
    Thanks for posting just clarifying, are you saying this will work for a 2006 GSA? if so what part number for new float sensor do i need for float sensor to fit my bike??
    Can't seem to find one on Motor works site

I recently bought a replacement fuel strip but would be tempted to sort it once and for all if this really works
    HI YOU NEED 2010-13 GSA FLOAT SENSOR
    AS THEY DIDN'T INSTALL THEM UNTILL LATE 2010
    2005 MODEL WAS MADE WITH FLOAT BUT WON'T WORK!

Do you have access to the wiring diagram for the R1200RT (mine so happens to be a 2007 model) ?

I would have thought the same fix could apply. BMW took both the GS and RT to the float system after the fuel strip failures on the later models.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilH View Post
    Do you have access to the wiring diagram for the R1200RT (mine so happens to be a 2007 model) ?

I would have thought the same fix could apply. BMW took both the GS and RT to the float system after the fuel strip failures on the later models.
    Yes I have.
    I guess it will be the same
    but I will confirm that later today...

Denz,

Could I use a GS-911 diagnostics instead of Moto Scan App with OBD linkLx ?

I presume that no calibration procedure is necessary after fitting the float sensor in place of the fuel strip ?

Any issues after fitting, or does it behave itself accurately ??

Sounds like a job for the future, many thanks Denzo.
    ADAM

Quote Originally Posted by Pukmeister View Post
    I presume that no calibration procedure is necessary after fitting the float sensor in place of the fuel strip ?

Any issues after fitting, or does it behave itself accurately ??

Sounds like a job for the future, many thanks Denzo.
    This is the second R1200GS I'm doing this conversion on the first one works fine very accurate readings no calibration needed
    The latest one will be tested next week just need to sort out gearbox oil...

Very, vey interesting.
    I've done the same, but using Hank's conversion box.
    R1150R '03 [in bits]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    DRZ 400
    [I'm the biggest limit on my bike]

Quote Originally Posted by Denz0 View Post
    Hi
    I have discovered this by mistake...I was working on the ESA r1200gs and it makes change from my suspension posts...
    The main thingis it works!
    And you don't need any magical devices!!!
    So before you start you will need
    1 OEM FLOAT TYPE SENSOR FOR YOUR MODEL
    anyK25 After 2010 should have one...(not early 2010 gsa this comes with strip)
    GSA float is mounted on the pump
    GS float is mounted on the fuel cup
    This includes models from 2006 to 2010 ADV (I'm working on 2010ADV)
    2 Moto Scan App with OBD linkLx
    3 basic mechanical skill and tools

FIRST Make sure your tank is fairly empty!!! REMOVE THE FUEL STRIP AND INSTALL THE FLOAT (I DON'T HAVE THE PICTURES SHOWING THAT )float for GSA on the fuel pump picture one

Now time to make it work
    For the ZFE to be able to read the new sensor you need to swop the pins in the main connector pin 34 (green with red trace )and 35(brown with blue trace) needs to be moved to 21 and 37 on the ZFE connector
    Picture 2
    Check the pictures on how to disassemble the connector and remove blanking pins.
    After removing transparent retainer push on the black and white inserts they will come out then remove the top part by pressing four little clips in every corner
    Next, remove blanking pins in the location 37 black connector and 21 white connectors.
    Swop the cable and insert blanking pins in the old locations 34,35 this will stop moisture going into the connector
    On the pictures below...

Programming!
    Without this computer "ZFE" doesn't know you just installed float type sensor...
    Connect the cable find your bike on the list K25ADV in my case...
    Go to central chase electronics ZFE
    and find Thermo Coupler FLS 08 and change the value to Potentiometer. Press CODE
    Next, find INDUCTIVE FUEL SENSOR change to"deactivate" press code.
    You're done! Your old lady finally knows how to measure fuel properly no more yellow triangle...
    Install the tank and other connectors.
    Why BMW didn't do that on the recall???
    You can get fuel float on ebuy or Motorworks for about 40-80 subject to availability I guess...
    If anyone needs more explanation just ask If not me maybe someone else will assist you

I'm using a spare pump with sensor to demonstrate how it works
    float is already in the tank...
    Good luck with the conversion.

Right these are the pin outs from the RT - Different as i suspected, but i only have a 04-06 manual -

Looking at the RT pic there are no loose pins / connector 21 or 37 to connect to - however could you not disconnect the 34 35 38 39 plug (film strip & heater) and repin to the 21 37 plug

However i suspect it may not work, as the ZFE is looking for signals from 34 35 36 37 - but until you try it you wont know
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is what i found in the book looks like Gs ...

Sorry I must have missed something here :

In summary -
    You removed your fuel strip on your GS making ports on the ZFE 34,35,39,38 effectively creating a no input signal,

Taking cables from 34 & 35 relocated to ports 21,37 providing a input sigal on those ports l. Leaving ports on the ZFE 34,35,39,38 still no signal

The programming of the Thermo Coupler FLS 08 : Did that disable the request of incoming signals on the ZFE from ports 34,35,39 & 38 and effective enabled incoming signals from ports 21 & 37?

Looking at the top image from post 12 (R1200RT instruments and cluster image), I'd have exactly the same pins/ports as your image of the GS.

Your 2nd image in Post 11 doesn't show pots 21 & 37, yet the image in post 12 does.

one is marked Central electronics unit (ports 21 & 37 unavailable) , where the other is ZFE central electronics unit (ports 21 &37 available). What is this telling me?

Mine is a ZFE-High : -
    Controller Type : Vehicle Electronics
    Controller Name : ZFE-High
    Controller : 6300
    Part No. : 07718037

Quote Originally Posted by NeilH View Post
    Sorry I must have missed something here :

In summary -
    You removed your fuel strip on your GS making ports on the ZFE 34,35,39,38 effectively creating a no input signal,

Taking cables from 34 & 35 relocated to ports 21,37 providing a input sigal on those ports l. Leaving ports on the ZFE 34,35,39,38 still no signal

The programming of the Thermo Coupler FLS 08 : Did that disable the request of incoming signals on the ZFE from ports 34,35,39 & 38 and effective enabled incoming signals from ports 21 & 37?

Looking at the top image from post 12 (R1200RT instruments and cluster image), I'd have exactly the same pins/ports as your image of the GS.

Your 2nd image in Post 11 doesn't show pots 21 & 37, yet the image in post 12 does.

one is marked Central electronics unit (ports 21 & 37 unavailable) , where the other is ZFE central electronics unit (ports 21 &37 available). What is this telling me?

Mine is a ZFE-High : -
    Controller Type : Vehicle Electronics
    Controller Name : ZFE-High
    Controller : 6300
    Part No. : 07718037
    Two areas to cover -

ZFE - Comes in 2 or 3 variants ( Base low hgh) or low high if irecall

The variation low / high is what determines what fuel measuring system you have - strip / float + model year and options

Early hexheads low ZFE got float, spec the bike with onboard comp and you get fuel strip & high ZFE

GSA's got float by default if i recall

Now looking at post 1 pic 3 it looks like a high level ZFE which gives the option of float or strip ( read -onboard comp or base spec)

So by removing the strip and repinning to the float pins, youve effectivly telling the ZFE to look at a new float setup - via coding

However the RT as shown in post 11 pic 2 dosent have pin 21 so its either got a high level ZFE ( non float option) or cant be done

my thought was to just remove 34 35 and connect you new float to those pins but i cant say if it would work -- i'm guessing wont because of the level the ZFE ECU

To be honest I've only done this on two bikes GS 2008 and GSA2010
    I don't have RT so I can't play with it
    And I discovered this sorting out a problem with the suspension
    If my friend comes with the RT ex-police no ESA 2009 I will take a look its worth investigating as it would solve a lot of trouble in the future besides I love projects like this
    But I know this Level float sends analog output in ohms 4-98 to be more precise
    And strip have completely different range!
    If you don't solve this problem by changing pins let me know I still have converting module that was used on this bike previously and it was working fine just wasn't super accurate on the end last 50 miles so friend run out a couple of times when the clock was showing 30 miles range left...this is very simple fix
    Just need to install the original float and this converts the signal done!

I can't even get to look at this until I return back to the UK later this year. It doesn't help when you're 8,000 miles away from the bike.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast