Castrol saf xo

Benhur Malta

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dear all

My local dealer has a Castrol 75w90 syntrax oil which is labeled as gl-4/5

Is this the same stuff as the long life syntrax oil which is labeled as strictly GL-5

R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would not recommend a hybrid GL4 / 5 oil for BM transmissions at all

IN fact these days I use 85W140 GL5 in all my BM final drives Haven't had ANY issues over the last 6 or 7 years before I stopped doing service/repair work

IN fact these days I use 85W140 GL5 in all my BM final drives Haven't had ANY issues over the last 6 or 7 years before I stopped doing service/repair work

What's the benefot of using a different spec oil? Am I naive in wondering why BMW would recommend a grade that was not optimal for their FD?

What's the benefot of using a different spec oil? Am I naive in wondering why BMW would recommend a grade that was not optimal for their FD?

GL 4 spec isn't good for gearboxes with brass bushes or similar inside the cases.

Thanks

Was interesed to know about use of 85w140 vs BMW spec 75w90. Is BMW spec incorrect?

Thanks

Was interested to know about use of 85w140 vs BMW spec 75w90. Is BMW spec incorrect?

Okay BMW boxes and FD require the Extra "Extreme pressure" additive to protect the gear faces Hence GL5

The same additive which attacks "yellow" metal in standard gearboxes which tend to have Baulk rings etc to slow gears to engage smoothly, So they have a lower concentration of the additive in GL4 oils

I am NOT saying BMW was wrong with their oil choice

What I am saying is that their 1200 final drive is a complete and utter bag of Schite!!!

And any chance you give it for survival is worth taking!!!

What total Fuckwit Wanker ever thought a bearing would survive for X thousands of Miles with just the grease it was built with and then two rubber seals to hold it in place?

Whilst wedged in behind the Wheel Mount and the outside cover of the FD containing all that nice oil circulating just a few mm away inside the FD just behind the seal

not to mention the needle roller bearing with pish thin oil to lubricate it ??

Fucking Unadulterated Fucking Cockwombles!

https://www.reference.com/vehicles/difference-between-gl-4-gl-5-gear-oils-ff38852afbf5288e

Back
Top Bottom