Stuck seat

Bradders999

Reaction score
Hi
Bit of advice, just come back from a 7 day Europe trip ( bike was fantastic 1200 adventure16 plate). Now can’t get the bloody seat off, the key will turn forward ( feels like it’s stretching the cable) but won’t turn backwards)tried hitting the seat, jiggling it about. Don’t want to end up snapping the key in the lock. Any advice welcome.
Thanks

This might sound counter intuitive, but try pulling the seat upwards as you turn the key - this should take the pressure off the catch and enable the key to turn....

Yeah.....it's a case of kneeling on it as mentioned above. You could also try removing the rear seat / turning the key the other way first to see if you can get a better purchase on it. GS seats can be a nightmare! Getting the rear seat into the 'forward' position is one of my life struggles!

If you are really stuck try a bit of lateral thinking, from underneath it is only four fixings to drop the rear mudguard /rear light assembly and it may well give access to the lock from underneath

So turning the key forwards should release the front seat, does it? If the front seat is in highest position then the rear should be the rearward slot at the front. If the front is in low position then the rear should be in the forwards slot. Maybe it’s the wrong slot at the back. Remove the front seat first and you see the rear seat slot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
The front seat is in the highest position at the front, but the key won’t release it. It will turn forward but feels as though it’s stretching the cable. It won’t turn backwards at all.
Thanks

I had the same issue a while ago. I managed to very carefully release the font high/low adjuster with the seat in place, this meant i could lift both the seat & the adjuster.

From memory, the latch/key mechanism had "gone over" so wouldn't work. very easy to fix with the seat off & no permanent damage. Good luck.

If nothing else works, there is an other (and painful) way.

The seat locks are a part of the silver cover that covers the rear frame. This cover is fastened to the frame with several screws, such as the 4 screws holding the rear luggage carrier as well as 4 screws holding the rack for the cases on the GSA.
The screws are covered by the seats. However it will be possible to squeeze in a T40 bit underneath to make it enter the screw. Then you will be able to undo the screws with a 1/4" spanner. You may have to shorten the bit slightly, and it will be a time consuming job. But you will be able to unscrew the entire cover and thereby get access to the locks from behind.

Back
Top Bottom