Italy-Slovenia-Croatia-Bosnia-Montenegro-Kosovo-Macedonia-Greece and Back

stirtloe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On Friday (21 Jun 19) I'll be setting off from near Padua to ride to Thessaloniki, stopping there for a week or so and then riding back. Route out goes through Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Kosovo and Macedonia. Route back is more westerly, Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia and Croatia. I'll provide information on border crossings and the like. My bike has Italian plates and I have a Green Card for insurance.:beerjug:

I have a route worked out but am happy to take advice and answer questions to help out others.

Good luck! Sounds great!

Have wanted to do something similar for years. Are you shipping the bike down to a starting point or riding all the way down?

I’ve just shipped my bike to Bulgaria and rode back through basically the same route I used a company who collected my bike from Liverpool and stored it in Elhovo at a farm then they collected me from airport and took me back for my bike, all perfect and would use them again and so cheap I couldn’t believe it. Put some time aside for KSAMIL in Albania the place is paradise stayed in great hotel on beech for under 25euro a night at end of may, my green card didn’t cover me in some countries even though my insurance co stated it would so 30 Euros later ! If you have any questions and if I know the answer I will tell you otherwise just get lost and enjoy it . Have a great time the road is fantastic

I’ve just shipped my bike to Bulgaria and rode back through basically the same route I used a company who collected my bike from Liverpool and stored it in Elhovo at a farm then they collected me from airport and took me back for my bike, all perfect and would use them again and so cheap I couldn’t believe it. Put some time aside for KSAMIL in Albania the place is paradise stayed in great hotel on beech for under 25euro a night at end of may, my green card didn’t cover me in some countries even though my insurance co stated it would so 30 Euros later ! If you have any questions and if I know the answer I will tell you otherwise just get lost and enjoy it . Have a great time the road is fantastic

Well the obvious question is who did you ship with and what did it cost?

I have a route worked out but am happy to take advice and answer questions to help out others.

I'm hoping to be down that way next year so will be very interested in your reports and information.

Safe travels. :thumb2

Basically the same route we did last year down to Albania and then back for Garmisch.

You’ll have a great tine, but allow plenty of time for border crossings, buying the (probably) worthless insurance at the border crossing or some obscure cafe.

The locals didn’t seem to mind bikes filtering to the front of the queue

Currently in Banja Luka, minor drama yesterday on the autostrada near Brescia when my phone dislodged from the holder and dropped onto the road. My first indication something was wrong was when a lorry went past me on the inside lane and the driver waved his phone at me. I took this to be another variation on Italian hand gestures but then realised what had happened.

So to the relevant stuff:
• Crossing into Slovenia paid €7.5 for the week’s vignette. Lunch In Ljubljana then down the motorway into Croatia
• Croatia border was quick and no dramas, just showed passports. There is a Slovenian check and then a Croatian one and then a roll booth.
. Crossed into Bosnia at Gradiska, long queues but as BillWright said you can filter to the front. I viewed this as survival as waiting in the queue in 30 degree heat for hours would not be fun.

i went to Kefalonia on the bike last year going down the Adriatic coast. you're in for a treat :beerjug:

Am now in Pluzine, Montenegro. Last night in Banja Luka was great so no early start today. Banja Luka to Travnik, great road all the Bosnian traits, rocks and cows in the road. Travnik to Sarajevo via Kiseljak boring, Sarajevo to Pluzine via Hum border crossing, phenomenal route good road wonderful scenery. The road down the hill to the border is a bit sketchy but no dramas . Border crossing was painless, passport check and green card checked, no long wait. Passport stamped on entry into Montenegro.

Last edited:
Now in Peç, epic day Dormitor Park and Tara Canyon and into Kosovo via the P8/R106 Crossing. No queues. Very polite Kosovar border policeman told me my Green card was not valid for Kosovo, it isn’t, so paid €10 for insurance. The crossing point was so quiet there were cows in the road at the crossing I asked at the hotel if the M9 crossing to the West is open and was told it is.

So have been in Thessaloniki for 10 days and about to head back starting tomorrow. The trip from Pec to here was uneventful, I went for the quicker route to get here in time. I had intended to go to the Field of the Blackbirds north of Pristina but got held up in rain which didn't look like abating so turned South. As the rain began I pulled off the road into a car windscreen repair shop. We were sheltering outside and the owner invited us in and made us a coffee, a vignette typical of the kindness we experienced throughout the trip. The route from Kosovo into Northern Macedonia was on a newly completed motorway, that I think will soon have tolls, but at the moment is free. The border crossings were uneventful (passport and green card). The motorway to Greece had manned tolls every10-20 km. The cost was €1 -2 each section. Border crossing into Greece uneventful but the road after is a single lane highway with each lane wide enough for 1.5 cars which induced mad driving. As the rain was bucketing down and the vis was poor I was concentrating on riding straight and not bumping into anything in front. The occasional distraction came from cars passing me with inches to spare.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Began the return leg on Friday, from Thessaloniki to Pogdarec in Albania going over the Galchica National park. The border crossings were uneventful though it was fun finding the B+B the GPS didn't get close and there were some I retesting off road excursions. In the end the tried and tested method of sitting down with a beer and asking someone worked well. Next day was Pogdarec to Kotor. Nice route though as expected Tirana to the border was tedious and the 38 degree heat didn't help. The route from Podgorica to Kotor with the Serpentine descent is stunning. The roads in Montenegro are good and those that aren't are being improved. The entry I to Montenegro was the first time I was asked for vehicle docs.
a4e51f02d89a5f288359bcc6f8d174e1.jpg

Next day ( today) was Kotor to Pokostane in Croatia via Mostar. Again Montenegran roads were great and all went well up to the border crossing at Ilino. I had entered Bosnia 2 weeks ago at Gradisja with my Green Card but this time thee Bosnian police claimed it was invalid as it was a photocopy and invited me to pay €30 for insurance or return to Montenegro. I opted for the former. I went back on the A1 where the crossing into Croatia was smooth. Back to Italy tomorrow.
321cded0def1b224ef26dbbec7061770.jpg

I would be keen on a copy of the route and hotel details as I am looking at a trip to Greece in 2020.

Thank you

Allan

Now in Peç, epic day Dormitor Park and Tara Canyon and into Kosovo via the P8/R106 Crossing. No queues. Very polite Kosovar border policeman told me my Green card was not valid for Kosovo, it isn’t, so paid €10 for insurance. The crossing point was so quiet there were cows in the road at the crossing I asked at the hotel if the M9 crossing to the West is open and was told it is.

You did well. Several years ago a group of us were charged 20 euros each at the border into Bosnia. As there was an armed guard did not feel like complaining.

Last edited:

Plus one - what did it cost?

Back
Top Bottom