Anyone use Open Office?

Deleted account 200502001

Reaction score
Seeing as Microsoft Office appears now to be subscription only, I was looking at downloading the free Open Office which is supposed to be identical, but free.

Anyone use it?

https://www.openoffice.org

8853__apache_openoffice_2_15_12_16.png

Yup and have done so since around 2006. It's got better and I find it as good as office.
The only thing I would say is make sure you save all docs and spreadsheets as if you don't exit correctly you will lose all the work.
Trust me I know this.....

Yup and have done so since around 2006. It's got better and I find it as good as office.
The only thing I would say is make sure you save all docs and spreadsheets as if you don't exit correctly you will lose all the work.
Trust me I know this.....

Spike, are you referring to Open Office, or the Libre that the other two have mentioned?

Open office, I started reply before they posted but got interrupted by the dog having a zooming bitey time and needed to distract him.

Ta, think i'm going to download it onto the cubs gaming pc. I was told by someone that if I wanted to save a document and then share it with someone, then I need to save it as .doc type??

Used Open Office for years. No issues at all. Just remember to use "save as" and select the microsoft equivalent format. Avoids email recipients from have problems reading your attachments. I use it mainly for word and spreadsheet purposes.

Ta, think i'm going to download it onto the cubs gaming pc. I was told by someone that if I wanted to save a document and then share it with someone, then I need to save it as .doc type??

Yup as Oldie said.
Alternatively there's an easy click to save it as a pdf. I find this useful as I have spreadsheet formulas that I don't want to be meddled with ;)

Libre and open office came from the same project until people fell out and they split. Libre is far better supported and updated compared to open which was last updated November if I remember right.

If you prefer the look and feal of ms office then https://www.wps.com/office-free/ is similar. Nothing like as many features that you probably don't need anyway but it has a more modern ui.

Open Office for me too, been using it for 6 years ish!

In fact when I bought the last laptop from Currys the salesman was trying to get me to purchase the code for the pre-installed microsoft office but it was my wife's cousin who told me about Open office. When I went back to buy the laptop I told salesman I will not be buying the code and he then said...........Oh yes Open Office is great, Currys use it as it's free to use even for businesses!!!

I used MS Office for years because I needed some of the advanced features for creating very complex documents.

However, for normal use (indeed even for moderately complex documents), Libre or Openoffice (not to mention Apple's Pages) are more than adequate, better supported and IMO have nicer interfaces.

I used MS Office for years because I needed some of the advanced features for creating very complex documents.

However, for normal use (indeed even for moderately complex documents), Libre or Openoffice (not to mention Apple's Pages) are more than adequate, better supported and IMO have nicer interfaces.

Are either/both fully compatible with Word?

Andres

Are either/both fully compatible with Word?

Andres

I wouldn't say that OpenOffice is fully compatible with Word. For example, if I receive a legal proposal typed up in Word with quite a bit of formatting (Clauses in separate dialogue boxes, bullet numbering etc) it can be a pain to add riders exactly where I want them without the document getting splayed/disjointed. Doesn't always happen but sometimes I have to ask the senders secretary to add in my amendments and re-issue.

Back
Top Bottom