Getting a newish GSA, couple of questions.

rubberscrubber

Reaction score
Looking at getting a 2018 1200 gsa rallye.
If it's a keyless model, what should I get in terms of key fobs/ spare fob etc.
Are there any visual clues to say if it has the quick shifter or not.

I've had my 1150GS for 12 years and do all my own servicing, so is the valve clearance procedure similar and throttle body balancing. With it being ride by wire was wondering if it self balanced �� Is that such a thing.

Also what would a 1st year service cost roughly

You will get a keyfob, and a spare plastic key, that is used in emergencies if you lose the fob, their is a ring under the mudguard that you place the plastic key on, to start the bike, as for what options are on the bike, think dealer will tell you, and it will be in the invoice normally, first year service, negociate for free.

Looking at getting a 2018 1200 gsa rallye.
I've had my 1150GS for 12 years and do all my own servicing, so is the valve clearance procedure similar and throttle body balancing. With it being ride by wire was wondering if it self balanced �� Is that such a thing.

I Can’t speak to the valve servicing procedure on the 1150, but the procedure for the LC engine 1200 involves measuring the clearances, then taking the camshafts off to replace the shims with different sized replacements. Much more involved than the procedure for the air cooled 1200 wherein the shims could be replaced with the camshafts in situ.
A 12,000 mile service will cost about £300 at a dealership.
Alan R

I Can’t speak to the valve servicing procedure on the 1150, but the procedure for the LC engine 1200 involves measuring the clearances, then taking the camshafts off to replace the shims with different sized replacements. Much more involved than the procedure for the air cooled 1200 wherein the shims could be replaced with the camshafts in situ.
A 12,000 mile service will cost about £300 at a dealership.
Alan R

Ok thx Alan, the 1150 was old school locknut adjustment, very easy to do.

I've got that model and it was serviced by Coopers last Friday as its 1yr old and the invoice is £248 all in. Oil, filter, brake fluid change, top up coolant, general checkover and theres a recall or Quality Enhancement as they now call it for 2018 models to do with the spoked wheels.

Just had my 2018 GSA Rallye serviced at my local dealer. 1 year old, so 1st annual service - £224

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloody hell...mine is due for 1 year 6000 mile service. Quoted £265. £170 - £265...now there is some variation.

Also with Bowkers..got my 6k service free as part of the purchase deal..the 12k was £245.02 plus vat.

Bowkers in preston? - yeah they seem fairly reasonable on servicing, I paid £139 for the 6,000 mile service in december last year.

thinking about it, they collected it and returned it to my home for that too as i was too soft to ride it in december!

They aren't bad for tyres either, quoted £230 for a pair of tourance next fitted on a ride-in / ride-out basis - i didn't think that was bad at all.

Bowkers in preston? - yeah they seem fairly reasonable on servicing, I paid £139 for the 6,000 mile service in december last year.

thinking about it, they collected it and returned it to my home for that too as i was too soft to ride it in december!

They aren't bad for tyres either, quoted £230 for a pair of tourance next fitted on a ride-in / ride-out basis - i didn't think that was bad at all.

They seem a fair dealer IMO..only issue for me is the distance from home, but am prepared to travel for the right service. They did pick my bike for the fork recall which I appreciated.

what?.. taking the cam shaft off to replace the shims? but its quite easy.. you remove the cap and all the chains etc stay in place...

Also, its injection so no balancing of the bodies :)

Was that a special deal service as part of the bike purchase or a December special? Thx

Was that a special deal service as part of the bike purchase or a December special? Thx

I’ve no idea to be honest. It was due it’s annual service (I was a little short on mileage) I called in and asked to book it in and if they could pick it up. Arranged it and I asked how much it would be and they said £130-£140 - it was £139 when I paid the bill.

I suspect their workshops are quiet at that time of year.

Also, if this was had been it’s two year service it would have needed a brake fluid change. That would have boosted the cost a bit. It will need that this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

what?.. taking the cam shaft off to replace the shims? but its quite easy.. you remove the cap and all the chains etc stay in place...

Also, its injection so no balancing of the bodies :)

My 1150 is fuel injected but you have the balance the throttle bodies, both linked to throttle via cables.

Depending on what stage you are at with the purchase of your new bike, if it doesn’t work out or you want to consider other options, I have a 68 plate GSA Rallye, 4500 miles, TFT, Gear shift assist pro, mudslinger, crud catcher, etc, top box, Nav V, covered under BMW Warranty until August 2021. If you’re interested or know anyone who may be, get them to drop me a PM. £14k.

Back
Top Bottom