Aftermarket LED headlight...

A well timed message. I really took the plunge and got a unit off Alibaba because it's clear they're all coming from one source... It turned up super quick (about 4 days ). But I did get hit having to pay duty on it... BUT even with that, it was well below any price I've seen out there.

So...
£165 from Alibaba
£49 duty
£215 Total.

Will post pics at the weekend, too busy right now.

The whole assembly looks good. My first observation though is that the rear plastic cowl that the speedo/clocks mount screw onto is made of what seems to be a brittle plastic? But maybe I'm worrying too much as once it's fitted, it's not really exposed to any knocks or bumps and there are 3 mounting points (meaning it'll be stronger than just long plastic stilts on their own). Additionally I haven't read anywhere that they've broken. And I haven't really ever examined an OEM unit...

Will be back with more soon

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Good luck with fitting, the stalks for the clocks have been fine on mine, no problems at all, your price even with the duty is good....my eyes still fill with tears every time I think about it .

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with fitting, the stalks for the clocks have been fine on mine, no problems at all, your price even with the duty is good....my eyes still fill with tears every time I think about it .

Enjoy

Hey, thanks for that. I've only had a chance to peek into the box. I'm thinking that once the stalks are all tied together by the mount for the clocks they (collectively) gain some strength. But you've reassured me

They've come down a lot in a year. The version 2 might have helped that?

Small update.

Had an unexpected lull today, so thought I'd take the change to fit the new headlight. I mean, it says it takes 15min...

Removed the OEM light. That took 10min. But it didn't take long to discover fitting the new unit was going to be a bloody fiddle...

The lamp works and it works well. I really like it . Which is good, because it's going to need some careful attention to make it bloody fit properly!

Highlights so far (I haven't finished the job yet, that spare hour didn't last long!)

• that little spigot on the cockpit frame isn't going to be an issue. Is well clear of it. Good news because I was reminded that spigot is welded to the cockpit chassis.

• once the speedo is mounted and the lamp bolted down, it isn't straight! This Is going to take a little thought because the are just 3 mounting screws... hard to adjust, but I have a plan.

• the new headlamp assembly makes contact with the screen... well it does sometimes, depends how you bolt it down! The fix for this will have to be modifying the screw/bolt holes on either side. I mean a radical re-shape!

So you see. Maybe I've been unlucky with this particular 'batch', but don't take this job on unless you're handy with fixing things, maybe opt for version 2!

Photos to follow

I was thinking of buying one of these but I'm put off now.
It's a shame it's not a direct fit.
Keep the updates coming though please, I may still get one. They do look good.
Some photos of the conversion would be good.

Small update.

Had an unexpected lull today, so thought I'd take the change to fit the new headlight. I mean, it says it takes 15min...

Removed the OEM light. That took 10min. But it didn't take long to discover fitting the new unit was going to be a bloody fiddle...

The lamp works and it works well. I really like it . Which is good, because it's going to need some careful attention to make it bloody fit properly!

Highlights so far (I haven't finished the job yet, that spare hour didn't last long!)

• that little spigot on the cockpit frame isn't going to be an issue. Is well clear of it. Good news because I was reminded that spigot is welded to the cockpit chassis.

• once the speedo is mounted and the lamp bolted down, it isn't straight! This Is going to take a little thought because the are just 3 mounting screws... hard to adjust, but I have a plan.

• the new headlamp assembly makes contact with the screen... well it does sometimes, depends how you bolt it down! The fix for this will have to be modifying the screw/bolt holes on either side. I mean a radical re-shape!

So you see. Maybe I've been unlucky with this particular 'batch', but don't take this job on unless you're handy with fixing things, maybe opt for version 2!

Photos to follow

Bloody hell!!! Sounds a right faff! My one fitted straight on, only really fiddly bit was the spacers and bolts either side,

The clocks I thought were about 1mm lower one side......it’s not much but I notice it....no one else would unless I said about it.

Hope you sort it, amazing light though?

Bloody hell!!! Sounds a right faff! My one fitted straight on, only really fiddly bit was the spacers and bolts either side,

The clocks I thought were about 1mm lower one side......it’s not much but I notice it....no one else would unless I said about it.

Hope you sort it, amazing light though?

The light is really great. So much so I'll make it work .

I had a sleep on it and I've now got an idea that will (I hope) permit sufficient adjustment. But I will have to cut the area near the bolts. I want it all done in such a way that the light can taken out/put back in without a struggle every time... I think I can straighten the clocks .

Will post more soon

Update #2 - a bit more positive than the previous.

I got back onto this with a different head on.

I took it all out, fitted the OEM rubber expansion fixings (that hold the OEM headlamp on either side) to the new headlamp. Then I squeezed in a washer because this would put less load onto the rubber expansion grommet.

Then, to try and deal with the misalignment (wonky speedo) I took a careful look at the speedo mount and how it is fixed to the headlamp and what is affecting the final position if the speedo... The drillings for the self tapping screws are not aligning with the OEM speedo bracket (I know which one is right!) So I could see that it was down to which screws were given priority of alignment...

In short, it's all looking much better. I will though get the dremel out and open up the LH fixing point - that holds the fixing grommet - as I need more up/down adjustment. But not much.

It's early evening. I switched on the ignition. Wow. At last a proper parking light. I mean it's a light in its own right. Not like the bloody OEM birthday candle!

I think on Saturday I'll get some pictures up. It will be a worthwhile endeavour. The OEM light is ugly and rubbish. I Judy hope this unit can endure the elements, vibration and daily use...

Great! Keep it coming, you're talking me into it!! Pictures would definitely talk me into it quicker!!

Update #2 - a bit more positive than the previous.

I got back onto this with a different head on.

I took it all out, fitted the OEM rubber expansion fixings (that hold the OEM headlamp on either side) to the new headlamp. Then I squeezed in a washer because this would put less load onto the rubber expansion grommet.

Then, to try and deal with the misalignment (wonky speedo) I took a careful look at the speedo mount and how it is fixed to the headlamp and what is affecting the final position if the speedo... The drillings for the self tapping screws are not aligning with the OEM speedo bracket (I know which one is right!) So I could see that it was down to which screws were given priority of alignment...

In short, it's all looking much better. I will though get the dremel out and open up the LH fixing point - that holds the fixing grommet - as I need more up/down adjustment. But not much.

It's early evening. I switched on the ignition. Wow. At last a proper parking light. I mean it's a light in its own right. Not like the bloody OEM birthday candle!

I think on Saturday I'll get some pictures up. It will be a worthwhile endeavour. The OEM light is ugly and rubbish. I Judy hope this unit can endure the elements, vibration and daily use...

It's in and all good . I love it. I see it as a genuine upgrade rather than just a 'modification'.

The good bits:
• When plugged in it works as you'd expect.
• The light, which is on a few levels (parking light is now finally a property light. Normal dip beam is BRIGHT! and it's the 'right' colour. Main beam...I need to get out for a night ride).

The bad bits:
• Firstly, the large, 'round' side of the headlight with the square bosses is too large. I mean there are just mm between the headlight and screen/oil cooler. In my world that's way too close. I'll have to see how normal use goes.
• Because of things being so close, there's not much room for beam adjustment.
• as I discovered, the is too high a chance for the clocks/ instruments to be misaligned. I fixed mine with some fiddling. It really is ok now. But I know many people would struggle with this - i mean fixing it.

Ok. Some pics.

82994246d7650c66de5909742a0ffcd6.jpg
4a38ccba09b4d7cf768c900600801553.jpg
06d86421a3f44ca1b847d1ba1c5ebbbe.jpg
47103dddaeb21c5057ba71306b2f5516.jpg
50cadbaa1e0bdddc411b9ff59c844279.jpg

More pics

They show:

• the fixings I didn't use (I preferred to use OEM rubber mounts)• the head light's close fit.
• the little 'fix' I did to give me adjustment of the headlight - up/down and left/right
d3baa9832c4006c744914760bb184533.jpg
f4ae5317d100b5898aaeb55d2b13467c.jpg
89a31369ac7570d75e7823817f0b5514.jpg
848daef3b62444ad6363c4e176134ca9.jpg
c52c6ff5ce6b7ba88f0ee8e44edfaa58.jpg
95162499c69b798607ac686d8861dc53.jpg

I would be more inclined to go for the V2 as well.

Probably ironed out some of the fitting foibles with the second version.

Sent from a U11

I think version 2 is probably a straight swap.

The finished 'look' of version 1 is better, but if you look at the quality of light you'll get, then if I did this again, I'd probably go for version 2.

Nor sure what will happen at MOT time . But as it is, I can re- fit the OEM headlight in about 10min.

The adjustment i did to this headlight was to elongate the mounting hole on the left side. This allowed me to 'lift' or 'lower' the lamp on that side. The right hand side can barely move up and down, but it can rotate on its fixing. I used the dremel with a convenient diameter grinding wheel - it took seconds, but lots of care!

By elongating the hole on the left, it sort of messed up how the expanding rubber fixing works because it had nothing left to pull against. I solved this by making a hard plastic washer with a hole tight around the rubber fixing - therefore, as I pushed the fixing into the hole it then immediately passed through the tight fitting washer, which both retained it and subsequently gave it something to pull against when tightened. To add support on the 'outside' of the rivet fixing, I found a copper washer. The pic below will explain the order of washers better. But it worked well and bingo, I got the adjustment I needed and a good fixing

f18e324f33670a96fe33b7dec9b57d88.jpg

The last couple of details I want to sort- though I don't 'need' to are the wires out the back of the headlamp and the gap that's now between the underside of the headlamp and the oil cooler.

1. Wires- not sure what to do with these. The connection to the little OEM parking bulb actually pushes into the headlamp housing just like the OEM - is the main block connector that homeless and dangling.

2. Gap between lamp and oil cooler - I'm going to cut a piece of rubber sheeting (2.3mm thick) profiled to fill the gap. It'll sandwich nicely in the existing oil cooler clamp screws.

If you look carefully in the pic below - of the gap I want to close - you'll see the little spigot that fits into the OEM lamp, but it's well clear of this new headlamp. Thankfully!

3666f0e7630087bf476967a4d76993d7.jpg
f9b1ff8b170bef6038360e62e05be922.jpg

Anyone got a link for the best price on a V2 please? :thumb
I just went through Alibaba... I chose one with lots of sales and lots of comments.

Just another small update.

Today was quite warm down here (27°) so I was interested to see if, once I slowed and hit some traffic, if the headlight would suffer at all. All was good.

I need a night time ride check out how it behaves when you really need it.

The DRL (what was the parking bulb in the old lamp) is really visible, even in sunlight. I'm especially happy with this.

One thought has occurred to me. Unlike a conventional bulb. If that blows, it can be replaced. If anything 'blows' on this unit... you have to hope it's not all of the beams

Back
Top Bottom