Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Independent Workshop In Devon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aftermarket LED headlight...

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I would be more inclined to go for the V2 as well.

Probably ironed out some of the fitting foibles with the second version.

Sent from a U11

Well I thought version 2, but I think version 1 looks better.
    We need more pictures I think .��

I think version 2 is probably a straight swap.

The finished 'look' of version 1 is better, but if you look at the quality of light you'll get, then if I did this again, I'd probably go for version 2.

Nor sure what will happen at MOT time . But as it is, I can re- fit the OEM headlight in about 10min.

The adjustment i did to this headlight was to elongate the mounting hole on the left side. This allowed me to 'lift' or 'lower' the lamp on that side. The right hand side can barely move up and down, but it can rotate on its fixing. I used the dremel with a convenient diameter grinding wheel - it took seconds, but lots of care!

By elongating the hole on the left, it sort of messed up how the expanding rubber fixing works because it had nothing left to pull against. I solved this by making a hard plastic washer with a hole tight around the rubber fixing - therefore, as I pushed the fixing into the hole it then immediately passed through the tight fitting washer, which both retained it and subsequently gave it something to pull against when tightened. To add support on the 'outside' of the rivet fixing, I found a copper washer. The pic below will explain the order of washers better. But it worked well and bingo, I got the adjustment I needed and a good fixing

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The last couple of details I want to sort- though I don't 'need' to are the wires out the back of the headlamp and the gap that's now between the underside of the headlamp and the oil cooler.

1. Wires- not sure what to do with these. The connection to the little OEM parking bulb actually pushes into the headlamp housing just like the OEM - is the main block connector that homeless and dangling.

2. Gap between lamp and oil cooler - I'm going to cut a piece of rubber sheeting (2.3mm thick) profiled to fill the gap. It'll sandwich nicely in the existing oil cooler clamp screws.

If you look carefully in the pic below - of the gap I want to close - you'll see the little spigot that fits into the OEM lamp, but it's well clear of this new headlamp. Thankfully!

Anyone got a link for the best price on a V2 please?

Quote Originally Posted by Howz View Post
    Anyone got a link for the best price on a V2 please?
    I just went through Alibaba... I chose one with lots of sales and lots of comments.

Just another small update.

Today was quite warm down here (27°) so I was interested to see if, once I slowed and hit some traffic, if the headlight would suffer at all. All was good.

I need a night time ride check out how it behaves when you really need it.

The DRL (what was the parking bulb in the old lamp) is really visible, even in sunlight. I'm especially happy with this.

One thought has occurred to me. Unlike a conventional bulb. If that blows, it can be replaced. If anything 'blows' on this unit... you have to hope it's not all of the beams

any pics of the light throw in the dark?

Quote Originally Posted by Decompressing View Post
    any pics of the light throw in the dark?
    On the weekend I'll get something posted. So far my purchase has been based on loss of feedback from various sources (on the web) so I'm not expecting to be disappointed. But let's see.

I've also sussed the dangling cable out the back of the headlamp with some velcro. Elegant, discrete and functional (and waterproof!).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123