Possible new 1250 owner

peej1977

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been riding a Triumph Explorer 1200 for the last 3 years and due to a few niggles I feel it's time for a change. Been speaking to a BMW dealer and test ridden both the 1250 GS and the GSA and I prefer the standard GS. (My knees bang on the side of the tank due to it being more flared and wider).

They have a 1250 Rallye TE in stock which they are willing to knock £1000 off the list price on a PCP deal but from a quick scan of the site people seem to think the 9.9% interest is too high? The system originally created the quote at 12.9% but he said "I know I can get that down to 9.9".

Is 9.9 really that bad?

Thanks in advance.

Hello peejay,
When I went to talk money with my local dealership, the salesman said he was embarised by BMWs PCP interest at 9%. Told me I would do better by going to the bank for a loan.
Cheers, GV

Hello peejay,
When I went to talk money with my local dealership, the salesman said he was embarised by BMWs PCP interest at 9%. Told me I would do better by going to the bank for a loan.
Cheers, GV

Thanks GV! I agree, my bank will do 4.9% and looking online Triumph are offering 6.9% and even Ducati is offering 4.9%!

Do the bank loan thing and ask them to build in the fact you are funding it and maybe that can give you bit of extra discount :D worked for me.... :steptoe

I have also gone from my ageing 1200 explorer to a GS TE exclusive..... leaves me with a grin every time!

Thanks all, doing a big of digging and generally speaking most manufacturers are offering between 0% and 6.9% for most bikes on most deals so unless they can do better it'll be a bank loan option, or nothing.

BMW won't budge on the 9.9% APR and their justification is that "our bikes are very popular" so they feel they can charge that so I will look at alternatives but a deal is looking less likely.

They budged down to 6.9% for me but I bought it cash in the end up.

Are people really that keen to pay a tenth extra on top of a fifteen grand motorcycle ?

Rearrange the following:

Born Minute One Every

Money Parted Fool Easily

Are people really that keen to pay a tenth extra on top of a fifteen grand motorcycle ?

Rearrange the following:

Born Minute One Every

Money Parted Fool Easily

Apparently they are! Williams BMW were/are selling them in droves. The 3 times I've been to the dealer they have been packed and I've witnessed at least 4 confirmed sales each time I went.

Sadly, me joining the forum turned out to be premature. They weren't willing to budge on the APR, then told me they needed to refund my deposit as they couldn't keep the bike off sale while I explored other options which is fair enough.

However, that was over a week ago and despite chasing them repeatedly they have declined to return any of my phone calls or emails so I'm going to have a raise a credit card dispute with Barclaycard.

When I purchased my 2016 R1200GS ADV am pretty sure it was 9.9% but online Banking offered me 3.9% so no brainer.

Holy sh*t :eek: - nearly 10% interest in this current hyper low interest rate environment.

These bikes really are popular...

Does a cooling off period apply, if so can't you take the PCP to get the discount and then settle it within 14 days by using cash/bank loan ?

RBW.

Does a cooling off period apply, if so can't you take the PCP to get the discount and then settle it within 14 days by using cash/bank loan ?

RBW.

What he said. I never understand why people go for PCP if other options are available unless it gets you a quick discount before you cancel the contract.

A bit of perseverance required peejay. There are other dealers and plenty of 1250s about. You might be better waiting until later in the year when the balance changes and sales staff start chasing customers to meet their targets?

Simple to answer harry.

People go for PCP because they haven't got much money but want to be the big man riding their shiny new motorcycle or being the envy of their neighbours with a new car every two years.

Thanks to PCP deals and 'affordable' monthly payments, the true price of vehicles has risen sharply. So has dealer finance for those that need it.

A perfect storm is brewing in the used vehicle market.

Simple to answer harry.

People go for PCP because they haven't got much money but want to be the big man riding their shiny new motorcycle or being the envy of their neighbours with a new car every two years.

Thanks to PCP deals and 'affordable' monthly payments, the true price of vehicles has risen sharply. So has dealer finance for those that need it.

A perfect storm is brewing in the used vehicle market.

Nailed it in one.

Another issue is that now everything is on a monthly payment. The car, road tax, Insurance (house, bike car), etc, etc.

Suddenly if something goes wrong you've got no savings to cover it (no money to put away each month as it's all gone on the monthly payments) and BOOM, you're in debt.

Maybe I am cynical and overstated but personal experience says it can only be a payment away from disaster.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I could have a bigger house, a flashier car, a newer motorcycle and be very pleased with myself. It's the paying for it thats the problem, working to service a debt and actually never owning any of it at all.

Instead I have a modest home, an old car and bike, and zero debt and I like it that way.

Back
Top Bottom