Outfit lesson

I had a good laugh with my outfit for a month or two until I crashed it on the Black Mountain in Wales due to a lack of capability. I would suggest that an essential item for enjoying a sidecar (and not crashing it on the Black Mountain) is a brake on the sidecar wheel. Otherwise if you brake too hard the whole plot shoots off into the oncoming traffic.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Uk05VuvqW5w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It shouldn't be too hard to get the hang of it....

:D

So who feels sorry for Spike418 who is picking up his outfit this afternoon then riding it 250 miles home tomorrow and the likelihood is that it’s going to rain all the time :blast

I’m supposed to be giving him some tuition regarding how to drive the things so it’ll be scenic route from Stamford to my place and we’ll try to find a quiet industrial estate where he can learn to fly :hippy

we’ll try to find a quiet industrial estate where he can learn to fly :hippy

Do your best to reassure him that a chair that's starting to go light, or actually starting to lift, isn't going to flip right over him.
That'll reduce the risk of the novice error of shutting the throttle when that happens.
If you teach him the lifting point and ensure he can fly the chair on demand he should be okay if he reads the road and rides the throttle and not the brakes.

So who feels sorry for Spike418 who is picking up his outfit this afternoon then riding it 250 miles home tomorrow and the likelihood is that it’s going to rain all the time :blast

I’m supposed to be giving him some tuition regarding how to drive the things so it’ll be scenic route from Stamford to my place and we’ll try to find a quiet industrial estate where he can learn to fly :hippy

I hope he does a ride report, with pictures :D

Very interesting thread, I´ll be looking to do the same in the near future I hope. As my legs are unstable and my left hand has no strength for a clutch, I was thinking of an Africa Twin DCT or the scooter version X-ADV and attaching a sidecar. The other problem I have is that I would like to attach one to the right side so to make it easier for touring the rest of the world, so this will have to be done abroad. Most outfits I see the 3rd wheel is more biased to the rear of the bike, can it be rigged more central as to allow for a flexible combination for either side of the bike with a bit of adapted engineering? I haven't a clue on when this idea will come to fruition it´s just wishful thinking to getting back on the road. I did think of a trike but I would prefer the option to be able to remove the sidecar when I´m fit enough. Apologies, I´m not trying to steal the thread just keep all the good info going.

Very interesting thread, I´ll be looking to do the same in the near future I hope. As my legs are unstable and my left hand has no strength for a clutch, I was thinking of an Africa Twin DCT or the scooter version X-ADV and attaching a sidecar. The other problem I have is that I would like to attach one to the right side so to make it easier for touring the rest of the world, so this will have to be done abroad. Most outfits I see the 3rd wheel is more biased to the rear of the bike, can it be rigged more central as to allow for a flexible combination for either side of the bike with a bit of adapted engineering? I haven't a clue on when this idea will come to fruition it´s just wishful thinking to getting back on the road. I did think of a trike but I would prefer the option to be able to remove the sidecar when I´m fit enough. Apologies, I´m not trying to steal the thread just keep all the good info going.

Have a look at www.nabd.org.uk for a source of information, it may be of use

. Most outfits I see the 3rd wheel is more biased to the rear of the bike, can it be rigged more central as to allow for a flexible combination for either side of the bike with a bit of adapted engineering?

The position of the sidecar wheel relative to the bike's rear wheel is termed wheel lead.
This dimension has a massive effect on stability and weight of steering effort.
The amount you are hinting at sounds grossly excessive, as it typically doesn't want to be more than around 9" to 10", certainly less than 12".

If you Google "sidecar wheel lead" you'll see diagrams and find explanations about the effects of different wheel lead.

Thanks Tarka, first I´ve read about wheel lead. I think I´ll just have to go with a production model and see if my choices (Honda´s) are suitable for fitment. I´m also looking forward to the bike show to see what other bikes would be suitable for me and the fitting of a sidecar.

Back
Top Bottom