Trackers - any recommendations

mw3230

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've not considered a Tracker before but with a reported (in the local press) increase in motorbike thefts on Tyneside, and a rise in the number of incidents where horrible, dogf**king, twats are actually tackling riders in broad daylight and taking their bikes from them, then I'm beginning to think a tracker may be worth the cost if only to try and enhance the chances of the police catching someone

I know there are a lot to choose from but has anyone any recommendations, information as to actual costs etc

Bloody hell, it's becoming like London

Had Trakking installed on my Goldwing.

You can download the app and see where it is at any time.

Just as we were boarding the ferry to Spain, they rang me to tell me that the bike was being moved out of the Country and they rang again when returning to check all was well.

They rang me when the bike was at the dealer and the battery had been disconnected.

Whoops, just got a call from BikeTrac to check everything is ok as I forgot to put it into service mode, Bahnstormer have just collected it for a service today.

Bennetts do a go review of trackers, none work 100%. I thought about one, but for Bike Trac, it cost £299 for the tracker with a one year warranty, then people were quoting a further £300 to install, then around £100 a year fo the tracking service. I spoke to my Insurance company and tracker discount is not massive. Bike Trac according to the review, relies on GPS coverage to start tracking, and they only use RF when the general location is found. So if there is no GPS coverage in your garage, you won't know the bike is being messed with until its on its way. Outside should be fine though

I bought a monimoto for my RT which does the job nicely. Doesn't need to be installed by a professional and I just lock it in my glove compartment. Every day the tracker app checks in to tell me my tracker is working. If it detects movement it phones me and the app pushes a notification of the bikes location. Cost me £120.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

I have one of those simple trackers (Back2You) that use a mobile phone card (GiffGaff) and phone messages to set the different functions. It sets a 200 metre geofence outside which it will message you with the bikes location. When I first got it I thought 200 metres was a bit far so I set it smaller. That showed up the flaw in these type of systems. If the unit loses one of the satellites it thinks the bike has moved and sends you a text message. No real problem until it happens at some unearthly hour of the night.

Interestingly my insurance company weren’t interested (BMW engined CCM 450). Despite this it is better than nothing.
The company have various models. I have their Compact version wired into the bikes electrics and with its own internal battery as back up. It’s the size of a slim 10 cigarette fag packet and was no problem hiding on the bike. I’m not sure about current draw as the bike is connected to a battery tender when in the garage.
I went out once without ”unsetting” the alarm and also leaving my phone at home. It drove the missus nuts with the phone receiving text messages at regular intervals. However she knew where I was!

https://back2you.com/products/compact-motorcycle-tracking-device-subscription-free

Tom

A £10 discount leaflet [GHOSTMONI] for the portable type came in on my order from Ghostbikes if you are considering one of those.Another leaflet also has a !0% off voucher code [GB2019] off all orders min spend £60.
Just be aware despite the advertising a tracker is not an anti theft device.

49f550126899e7ea7729387cdd91f98c.png

https://www.ghostbikes.com/15857-monimoto-smart-motorcycle-alarm.html

I have one of those simple trackers (Back2You) that use a mobile phone card (GiffGaff) and phone messages to set the different functions. It sets a 200 metre geofence outside which it will message you with the bikes location. When I first got it I thought 200 metres was a bit far so I set it smaller. That showed up the flaw in these type of systems. If the unit loses one of the satellites it thinks the bike has moved and sends you a text message. No real problem until it happens at some unearthly hour of the night.

Interestingly my insurance company weren’t interested (BMW engined CCM 450). Despite this it is better than nothing.
The company have various models. I have their Compact version wired into the bikes electrics and with its own internal battery as back up. It’s the size of a slim 10 cigarette fag packet and was no problem hiding on the bike. I’m not sure about current draw as the bike is connected to a battery tender when in the garage.
I went out once without ”unsetting” the alarm and also leaving my phone at home. It drove the missus nuts with the phone receiving text messages at regular intervals. However she knew where I was!

https://back2you.com/products/compact-motorcycle-tracking-device-subscription-free

Tom

I bought something similar. Apart from the price.

If it's set I get a text message if someone so much as touches the bike. A text if the bike is turned on and a text if the power is cut to the tracker.

Each text gives a Google Map location.
I put £10 on a GiffGaff sim. I still have £10 on it 3 years later . GiffGaff to GiffGaff texts are free.
You turn it on & off via text messages.

Back
Top Bottom