Struggling with getting mi leg over

Roadrash Rider

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So knees are shot, known that for a few years but on recent 7 day run round France I was nearly crippled when I got home. The climbing on and off the bike was the killer for some reason.

I have been thinking of possibly swapping for something a bit lighter and lower. But I love the GS Rallye, and not ready to give it up. I’m a big unit and the auto suspension works for me and I just love the bike. I climb on and off on the foot pegs already but the knees are getting that bad even that’s not enough some times to get mi leg over.

Thinking about lowering the back end a bit by removing the grab rail and rack and also putting on a one piece seat.

What’s the views on the TT low seat v the BMW Rallye low seat?

At the moment I have the standard BMW seat and that’s good enough for all day riding for me.

Thanks in advance Griff.

You might laugh, but baggier trousers are a massive help, 1 size bigger gives your hips and arse some space to throw the leg over, give it a try...........;)

You might laugh, but baggier trousers are a massive help, 1 size bigger gives your hips and arse some space to throw the leg over, give it a try...........;)

That’s a fair point and I prefer mi leathers as they have a flex zone above the knees and are comfy to ride in all day long because of them. It’s not going to solve my problem I don’t think.

So knees are shot, known that for a few years but on recent 7 day run round France I was nearly crippled when I got home. The climbing on and off the bike was the killer for some reason.

I have been thinking of possibly swapping for something a bit lighter and lower. But I love the GS Rallye, and not ready to give it up. I’m a big unit and the auto suspension works for me and I just love the bike. I climb on and off on the foot pegs already but the knees are getting that bad even that’s not enough some times to get mi leg over.

Thinking about lowering the back end a bit by removing the grab rail and rack and also putting on a one piece seat.

What’s the views on the TT low seat v the BMW Rallye low seat?

At the moment I have the standard BMW seat and that’s good enough for all day riding for me.

Thanks in advance Griff.

Just to get an idea, pop into your local Motorrad dealer and test a lowered version, not sure of the exact name, but I think they all have them for demo purposes.

That’s a fair point and I prefer mi leathers as they have a flex zone above the knees and are comfy to ride in all day long because of them. It’s not going to solve my problem I don’t think.

Just as an example if you have an old baggy tracksuit in the house, put the pants on, and then get on your bike and see if you feel any relief, it will not cost you anything.

Just out of curiosity, do you step on the left peg, as in mounting a horse, or do you climb onto the bike by lifting right leg while the left leg is planted on the ground.

Personally I prefer the 'horse' method. The sidestand can certainly handle the weight…
If the bike is parked on a slanted surface, I sometimes find it easier to enter from the right hand side.

Just out of curiosity, do you step on the left peg, as in mounting a horse, or do you climb onto the bike by lifting right leg while the left leg is planted on the ground.

Personally I prefer the 'horse' method. The sidestand can certainly handle the weight…
If the bike is parked on a slanted surface, I sometimes find it easier to enter from the right hand side.

Yes mate stand on the pegs to get on, while on tour though I did have double stacked roll bags that probably contributed to my knee pain as I had to get over them also.

Yes mate stand on the pegs to get on, while on tour though I did have double stacked roll bags that probably contributed to my knee pain as I had to get over them also.

Now that makes more sense, what about some soft panniers on brackets, that way less height to lift leg............:nenau:nenau

Then it is a matter of practice and even more pratice :beerjug:

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but you say you’re a big unit. Could you get your weight down, so that you have more flexibility around your midriff, it would also have the added bonus of taking weight of your knee joints. This would also extend your riding years. It’s not an over night fix I know. You could also try Smogbobs idea of having a go at mountings up at home in loose fitting jogging pants, to see if it makes it easier.

I have a factory low seat on my 15 GS, and mount using the left peg. Sorry I can’t help with other seat ideas.

Best of luck finding a solution......:beerjug:

Rockred

Your not wrong, I have lost 5st over the last 18months and still trying but the process of loosing weight means I have been exercising more and that’s also put more strain on the knees even though it’s low impact stuff.

The trouser things true enough, sling mi leg over in a pair of jeans as apposed to my streetguard trousers is a massive difference.

But I’m not 16 and invincible any more full suit of armour at all times even to Tesco’s.

May try on some of the new stretch gore tex trousers as Redrick has suggested. But the seat options a couple of hundred quid the trousers are 6 to 8 hundred ish.

I don't understand the standing on the left peg business for a lot of riders ?

Yes the side stand can take it occasionally......but all the time - to have 100 kgs of bloke jumping on it ?

I prefer nothing on the pillion seat to interfere with getting on

Either on the side stand or just upright (no stands down) I just swing my right leg over, with my left leg on terra firmer on a 1150 GS Adv

These bikes aren't that tall ?

I don't understand the standing on the left peg business for a lot of riders ?

Yes the side stand can take it occasionally......but all the time - to have 100 kgs of bloke jumping on it ?

I prefer nothing on the pillion seat to interfere with getting on

Either on the side stand or just upright (no stands down) I just swing my right leg over, with my left leg on terra firmer on a 1150 GS Adv

These bikes aren't that tall ?

Thats fine if you have long legs and don’t have arthritic hips. I cant just throw my leg over unlike you and no doubt most of the riding gods on here. I have to play the hand ive been dealt in life so that means i have to stand on the peg ALL THE TIME ! consider yourself lucky that you can just swing yours, roll on old age n see how you get on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats fine if you have long legs and don’t have arthritic hips. I cant just throw my leg over unlike you and no doubt most of the riding gods on here. I have to play the hand ive been dealt in life so that means i have to stand on the peg ALL THE TIME ! consider yourself lucky that you can just swing yours, roll on old age n see how you get on.

31 inside leg and not that long

Guess I am lucky in my mid 50's and supple enough to get my leg high enough, like the girl closing that boot
Must be the off road riding that does it

I find standing on the left peg very unnatural and makes it harder to get the bike upright from the side stand position with your legs - better to get the bike upright with both arms and then just swing your right leg over the saddle

Less effort required and doesn't make your hips hurt to get the bike upright, when you have the bike upright BEFORE you get on

Ever thought of a smaller bike like a Triumph Scrambler with a lower seat height ?

I thought you had given up bikes & sold up ??

Guess I am lucky in my mid 50's and supple enough to get my leg high enough, like the girl closing that boot

Lol ive got 27 ins inseam so makes it difficult even without the bad hip joints. Mind you i managed my GSA well enough and always had to use the peg to jump aboard

Lol ive got 27 ins inseam so makes it difficult even without the bad hip joints. Mind you i managed my GSA well enough and always had to use the peg to jump aboard

27 inseam - I would give up on GS then and find a smaller bike with low seat height
You must find a GS very heavy for you ?

I find standing on the left peg very unnatural and makes it harder to get the bike upright from the side stand position with your legs - better to get the bike upright with both arms and then just swing your right leg over the saddle

Less effort required and doesn't make your hips hurt to get the bike upright, when you have the bike upright BEFORE you get on

Ever thought of a smaller bike like a Triumph Scrambler with a lower seat height ?

I thought you had given up bikes & sold up ??

Yeah i did for a while but its like a drug it keeps dragging me back lol. Just awaiting delivery of new bike

Back
Top Bottom