Realistic driving/riding times

ymfb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It looks like I’m heading to Ireland for a bit of a grand tour for work and previously I’ve flown in to Belfast and been driven to the offices and sites as required.

This time I’m thinking of either riding or taking the camper towards the end of July, initial plan is

Monday ferry to Rosslare
then to Kilmore Quay

Tuesday Kilmore Quay to Coalisand

Thursday Coalisland to Letterkenny

Letterkenny to Galway to Limerick to Rosslare sometime on the Friday

Google maps gives 7 hours 23 minutes as the driving time for the last leg, which seems ambitious to me. The other bit of advice I was given today was try and drive by Dublin between 11 & 2.

Any pointers or advice gratefully received, if it’s by bike I might be asking for hotel/ pub/B & B recommendations but I will know nearer the time.

Thanks

GerryC's reply is, while classically Irish in itself :D - it's also accurate.
I kinda think of Ireland as a "40mph realistic average" sorta place.
Any higher and yer on a motorway (bored) or lucky or...
... you've missed some crucial yet not immediately apparent detail. :eek:

Good luck. :aidan

I wonder what time of day you checked out the times. I think Google maps are live so if you checked at 4am that might be the theoretical times. Aspernational at best. JJH

I wonder what time of day you checked out the times. I think Google maps are live so if you checked at 4am that might be the theoretical times. Aspernational at best. JJH

Aspirational? I’d say ducking bonkers ;)

That looks like a long two day ride on Irish roads, imo. Picture couple of hundred miles of Lake District roads as a comparison...
As Ogmios says, about a 50mph average may be a good guess.
Those routes you speak of have no motorway and no A roads...
With a bit of the Sunny stuff, especially the West, its a spectacular ride ��️��

That looks like a long two day ride on Irish roads, imo. Picture couple of hundred miles of Lake District roads as a comparison...
As Ogmios says, about a 50mph average may be a good guess.
Those routes you speak of have no motorway and no A roads...
With a bit of the Sunny stuff, especially the West, its a spectacular ride ��️��

no ............. 40 (FORTY) mph average !!!

Cheers guys, we always treat Google times with much suspicion.

What a great trip, I will definitely return. This trip was all about work, I used Irish ferries from Pembroke to Rosslare, no problems at all and would happily use them again.

On the way out I met one person at the Kilrane Inn just up the hill from the ferry terminal, then dashed over to Kilmore Quay to meet a customer and his partner for dinner in Kehoes Pub, excellent crab claws and Tiger prawn scampi. Stopped the night at Quay House, full Irish in the morning.

After a site visit it was up to Coalisland, stopped the night at friends nr Lurgan, next morning back to coalisland before riding up to Dunfanaghy, where I stayed at Arnold’s. Bit pricey for a dated room, but the food and views were excellent.

Thursday after breakfast I rode back down to Newry and visited Crossan motorcycles, which was a bit underwhelming and not so much as a coffee machine. I then called in at Fitzpatricks nr Dundalk for a superb fish and chip lunch. Next stop was partially because it looked like the heavens were about to open so I hopped off the motorway and dived into Joe Duffy Motorrad and was immediately offered a coffee and advice on updating the GSA, to the guy who suggested I change it before a big trip, I have done it.

The rest of ride was uneventful, a few spits of rain, stopped a few times as I had loads of time before the Inishmore was due for embarkation. I filled up with petrol, had a natter with a cyclist from Pembroke who was on his way home having been cycling in France for a few days and found it easier to travel to France via Rosslare !

On the boat, quick snack, gift shop for some gifts and off to bed in my cabin. Woke at about midnight, quick shower, got dressed and it was almost time to rejoin the bike. I was at the back but one of the Russian crew told me to ride up to the front so I was first off.

Half hour ride to the Travelodge at St Clears before nut down. Up at 0645, shower and back on the bike, heading East, first stop McDonalds for breakfast, second stop Dick Lovett at Bristol, third stop Frome to see my Aunt who had just been released from hospital after a heart valve replacement and double bypass.

Home in the afternoon.

Thursday after breakfast I rode back down to Newry and visited Crossan motorcycles, which was a bit underwhelming and not so much as a coffee machine.

About twenty minutes northeast from me here.

I then called in at Fitzpatricks nr Dundalk for a superb fish and chip lunch.

And less than twenty minutes southeast. :blast

I trust you enjoyed your brief sojourn on our little island. That was a good introduction to a longer ride. :thumb2

About twenty minutes northeast from me here.

And less than twenty minutes southeast. :blast

I trust you enjoyed your brief sojourn on our little island. That was a good introduction to a longer ride. :thumb2

Hopefully the next trip is mainly pleasure and will be the whole of the west coast, maybe next spring.

Hopefully the next trip is mainly pleasure and will be the whole of the west coast, maybe next spring.

Time now to get your company to buy some sort of business on the West coast, maybe Clare or Galway and you have the perfect excuse to visit next year. If we know your coming we might even be able to arrange a mini company crisis to enable you to stay a wee while longer.

Time now to get your company to buy some sort of business on the West coast, maybe Clare or Galway and you have the perfect excuse to visit next year. If we know your coming we might even be able to arrange a mini company crisis to enable you to stay a wee while longer.

Good idea, I’m hopeful that two of my visits will prove successful.

Back
Top Bottom