Help - Footrest Lowering

Plankton Pete

Reaction score
I'm sure this must have been discussed before but I've just joined the forum and don't know where to look.
I have long legs and find the 1250GS footpegs very high. I have tried the higher seat position and have the "Comfort" seat but don't really like the high riding position and the lower one kills my knees..
I've seen some Wunderlich footrest lowering kits and wonder if anyone has tried them and like them?
There seem to be 2 types, which is best and are the standard brake and gear levers adjustable enough to suit?

Also after several hours riding the base of my spine is very painful - has anyone tried moving the handlebars forward a bit to move the weight distribution? Is so, does anyone know the torque setting for the 4 screws on the handlebar clamp - the handbook just says you can move the bars, but get a dealer to do it. Helpful, not!

I'm sure this must have been discussed before but I've just joined the forum and don't know where to look.
I have long legs and find the 1250GS footpegs very high. I have tried the higher seat position and have the "Comfort" seat but don't really like the high riding position and the lower one kills my knees..
I've seen some Wunderlich footrest lowering kits and wonder if anyone has tried them and like them?
There seem to be 2 types, which is best and are the standard brake and gear levers adjustable enough to suit?

Also after several hours riding the base of my spine is very painful - has anyone tried moving the handlebars forward a bit to move the weight distribution? Is so, does anyone know the torque setting for the 4 screws on the handlebar clamp - the handbook just says you can move the bars, but get a dealer to do it. Helpful, not!

It is actually moving the handlebars back that helps, see link below, I am 6ft 2 long legs and these 2 mods below, totally transformed the comfort of the bike.

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wunderlich-handlebar-riser-ergo-41970-111-1.html

And for the footrests these are by far the best

https://www.bahnstormer.co.uk/product/r1200gsgsa-lc-adjustable-footrests-gold/

Thanks a lot Smogbob - Can I trouble you to let me know how much lower the Bahnstormer footrests are?
Much appreciated
Pete

Thanks a lot Smogbob - Can I trouble you to let me know how much lower the Bahnstormer footrests are?
Much appreciated
Pete
I just bought a set and they were £192. However if you read thru my post entitled How much ? you will see that they are available for around £160 from some dealers.

I just bought a set and they were £192. However if you read thru my post entitled How much ? you will see that they are available for around £160 from some dealers.

AH! My bad Delboy - thanks for your reply but I should have been clearer. I was asking how much lower the footpegs are than standard in terms of centimetres, rather than price!
Ooops.
Cheers Pete

Much appreciated
Pete

From the top setting to the bottom, as there are 3 settings I would estimate having gained about 2.5 to 3 cms, and that really helped the knee bend a heck of a lot.

From the top setting to the bottom, as there are 3 settings I would estimate having gained about 2.5 to 3 cms, and that really helped the knee bend a heck of a lot.

Then that's the fella for me Smogbob, many thanks.
On the lowest setting, can you still use the standard OE gear and brake levers (with some adjustment, natch) and is ground clearance compromised? This 1250 is so good I've scrubbed the tyres completely to the edge and still some and I wouldn't be wanting to wear out my nice new shiny footrests as well!
Pete

Then that's the fella for me Smogbob, many thanks.
On the lowest setting, can you still use the standard OE gear and brake levers (with some adjustment, natch) and is ground clearance compromised? This 1250 is so good I've scrubbed the tyres completely to the edge and still some and I wouldn't be wanting to wear out my nice new shiny footrests as well!
Pete

No problem at all for the gears and brakes etc, sidestand is a tad more fiddly to get at but no big deal with the foot enlarger installed, as for ground clearance, if you are getting to the edges, I would say yes you would touch down, you need to slow down a bit, few pics below of mine on my GS1200 2017

I’ve a set of lowering foot pegs you can try if you like?

Jim

Not at all Pete. No point in you spending money if not right for you.

Hope you get sorted

All the very best!

Jim

Jim that is extraordinarily kind of you thanks, but I've just placed an order, thanks again.
Pete

Has anyone managed to sort the issue with lowered pegs of your foot fouling the side stand when changing gear?

Back
Top Bottom