Reluctant starter

Hogie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi - I have lurked on here awhile, waiting for my R80 GS to come over from Calgary in Canada. Now it is finally here I find it is a reluctant starter. Several mornings the last 2 weeks I have gone to start it and it spins, coughs but doesn't catch so I end up plugging it back into the Optimate and taking one of the other bikes. When home for work in the evening it starts bizarrely.

Just wondering where to start on this, carbs, cables, airbox, plugs, leads?

David

Get a Topdon tester and remove all doubt about the battery.
And the rest of the electricals, it will test most everything charging/starting.
Then remove the tank, drain all the old gas and refill with fresh juice and a stiff dose of carb cleaner.
After that it will probably have to be a full major service, checking everything as you go!
I like to replace the tires and tubes too - you only want to find out the PO had patched a tear in the tube with half a dozen push bike patches once in your life!

Thanks both. I should have added that the GS was owned by my brother and used regularly 5 months of the year when you can ride in Canada. It could be a reluctant starter for him too but only if left for a week or so. If I use it it will start fine next day.
Fuel is new, it has inline fuel filters and I think Maintenance is up to date but I may just work through the usual items

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything on the bike that could be bleeding power from the battery? e.g. alarm, satnav, phone charger...

If not, the battery's discharging itself, therefore it's buggered.

Back
Top Bottom