Garmin Maps 2020.10 woes

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well I've been at this for nearly a week now and if I had any hair I'd be pulling it out by now!

I checked my Garmin Express was up to date and set the options (on my macbook pro) to "Computer and Device" and set it in motion. I have a very slow, rural broadband connection so it usually gets left at least overnight to install.

The Maps installed fine to my computer but not to the device.

Since then I've been trying and trying to get the maps onto my device. I've done another update of Garmin express (6.15.0.0) which made me confident Garmin had found an issue but I have not ben successful :confused:

I've also tried sending the maps to my Nav V using Map Installer and this seems to work except it gives the two files bizarre names and doesn't remove the old maps.

The download seems to get into the high 60% complete area and then just stalls :mad:

Anyone got any ideas?

Well I've been at this for nearly a week now and if I had any hair I'd be pulling it out by now!

I checked my Garmin Express was up to date and set the options (on my macbook pro) to "Computer and Device" and set it in motion. I have a very slow, rural broadband connection so it usually gets left at least overnight to install.

The Maps installed fine to my computer but not to the device.

Since then I've been trying and trying to get the maps onto my device. I've done another update of Garmin express (6.15.0.0) which made me confident Garmin had found an issue but I have not ben successful :confused:

I've also tried sending the maps to my Nav V using Map Installer and this seems to work except it gives the two files bizarre names and doesn't remove the old maps.

The download seems to get into the high 60% complete area and then just stalls :mad:

Anyone got any ideas?

Martin think answer is here, as you have a bad net connection

Ensure that your Internet connection meets the system requirements for Garmin Express

A high-speed Internet connection such as DSL or cable is required to use Garmin Express.

Garmin Express is not intended to be used with mobile broadband (such as a 4G/LTE MiFi, AirCard, or cell phone tethering), satellite, fixed wireless, or dial-up Internet connections.

If you are unsure what type of internet connection you are using, check with your Internet service provider (ISP).

Ensure that your data limit is not capped by your Internet Service Provider

Many of Garmin's downloadable map products are several gigabytes (GB) in size.

Some ISPs will place a limit on how much data may be downloaded during a daily or monthly cycle. Depending on the ISP, exceeding this limit could result in reduced Internet performance or fees for the additional data used.

To find out whether your Internet service is capped or restricted, contact your ISP.

Currently downloading at 178 kB/s

It's always been the same though and I've never had these problems before.

Yep only needs a bit of disreption somewhere along the line to give problems, hope it works this time, otherwise, a little ride into town with your laptop and connect to a good internet.

Yep only needs a bit of disreption somewhere along the line to give problems, hope it works this time, otherwise, a little ride into town with your laptop and connect to a good internet.
I think that might be the answer. I'm going to try it one more time but this time on a windows machine to see if that makes any difference.

It worked fine although the maps still have weird names. The old maps have gone so I’ll take that as a success.

If you've got the maps on your computer then you should be able to use Basecamp to transfer them to the satnav without having to download them again directly to the device. Open Basecamp, Maps, select the map set (if you've got more than one installed), Map Install. This fires up the Map Install program which has been around for a while.

Back
Top Bottom