Weird Heated Grips

Batfink

Reaction score
So just had the strangest thing happen on the Chunnel this morning on my way back from RDGA trip.

Train arrived in Folkestone, went to get on the bike and the grips were hot, key in the ignition but not on, heated grips switch in off position. Went to start the bike and just got a click click click. Luckily after about five attempts the other bikers in there managed to bump start me.

Anyone have any clue what the hell went on there ?

The only thing I did for the first time was I was charging the phone from a cable directly connected to the battery, but can’t see how that would affect anything else.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faulty switchgear giving a signal to the controller to turn the grips on to max ??

I did think that but how when the ignition wasn’t even on ?

Maybe CAN was still live from the last run state as key hadn't been removed from the ignition?

Clutching at straws I know.

Ah I wonder, you’re right the key was still in the ignition just turned to off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did the grips switch themselves off after you got the bike going or did they stay on?

Nothing to do with grips, but how was the trip? Heading down there on Wednesday.

Again it was weird. As soon as I noticed the grips being hot I pulled out my phone charge cable from the usb, turned on the ignition and then they seemed to cool down pretty quickly. Unfortunately too late to have not drained enough of the battery to not start the bike without a bump.

Nothing to do with grips, but how was the trip? Heading down there on Wednesday.

It was absolutely brilliant.

I left last Saturday morning, got the lunchtime Chunnel and road to Troyes. Then down to Bourg St Maurice, Barcelonnette, Menton, then back via Route Napoleon and Gorge Vordon(?), stopping at Gap, Saint Quentin and final stop in Calais to explore the Northern coast a bit. 7 nights in total and scorching sunshine for all but probably half a day total. Wish I could turn around and go back and do it all over again. You’ll have a great time.

If you had current draw on the accessory socket prior to turning off ignition the CAN should stay live. Still doesn’t explain the non-selected grips getting hot unless you have either faulty switchgear or a bike software logic anomaly that needs an update to resolve (ask a dealer about it).

Superb! Doing a very similar route with a week in a villa in Nice in the middle and a detour to Luxembourg on the way back.

If you had current draw on the accessory socket prior to turning off ignition the CAN should stay live. Still doesn’t explain the non-selected grips getting hot unless you have either faulty switchgear or a bike software logic anomaly that needs an update to resolve (ask a dealer about it).

Even if the accessory socket is just a direct cable to the battery, not part of the bike loom ?

Did the grips switch themselves off after you got the bike going or did they stay on?

I returned my LC because on 3 occasions it didn't want to crank with the normal gusto and each time after that the heated grips had managed to turn themselves on, the clutch let itself out twice whilst I has it against the bars, which is fun if your in-between cars and stationary (yet it was built 3 years "after" they fixed this fault on a few early ones, and it was gutless and the forks fall off... but BM technical said there was nothing wrong "only design features"

Even if the accessory socket is just a direct cable to the battery, not part of the bike loom ?

No, definitely not the cause if it is direct to the battery, although CAN usually keeps the bike accessories socket active for about 30 seconds after switching off ignition.

Back
Top Bottom