Epic noise!

neiljitsu

Reaction score
Afters months of planning and looking at tc's here and there I finally picked up a cracker of a member here.
However, how did bmw get the bike thru the noise tests? It sounds epic, much louder then my 08 with an akra on!
I'm almost afraid to put my new akra on it! (almost)

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

I put a bos can on mine. After a month or so I took it off again. Too noisy for touring for me. I'm not against noise you should hear my TL's. Just wasn't right on the GSA.

Is it possible the exhaust valve is stuck open?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

My TC with a standard exhaust and flappy valve removed sounds lovely, it also likes to pop on the overrun which gives me a little wood :D I'd like something louder, tried an Akra too quiet, maybe something stubby or straight through.

Valve is beeping away, I think I'll just remove it. Also bike isn't as loud without panniers on. I think the sound bounces off the heat shield and greatly increases the volume.

Valve is beeping away, I think I'll just remove it. Also bike isn't as loud without panniers on. I think the sound bounces off the heat shield and greatly increases the volume.

As I've just learnt myself recently, unscrew and remove the exhaust valve cover. Then switch on the ignition. The valve mech should visibly move as it goes through a self check. If it doesn't move/ rotate then something is amiss.

Mine was super dry and squeaked a little. So some days ago I lubed it all with a spray silicone. It was notably quieter and smooth. But after a couple of rides I took if the cover and carefully brushed on some nickel anti-seize as that should survive the heat and keep it free. But I couldn't see any way to reach the valve spindle, short of taking the valve off.

Lastly, I too was surprised by the noise level after my 1150. But now I don't notice!

Another thought is perhaps to use a small puffer bottle of graphite powder to get some graphite into the flappy valve spindle bushes, like a dry film lock lubricant. It should cope with the temperatures involved.

Nickel grease is good but I wonder how easily it penetrates. I used it on my Yamaha Exup valve as that could be stripped for servicing, unlike the BMW jobbie which is not really user-serviceable.

Another thought is perhaps to use a small puffer bottle of graphite powder to get some graphite into the flappy valve spindle bushes, like a dry film lock lubricant. It should cope with the temperatures involved.

Nickel grease is good but I wonder how easily it penetrates. I used it on my Yamaha Exup valve as that could be stripped for servicing, unlike the BMW jobbie which is not really user-serviceable.
You're right. Graphite powder is another idea. I guess you'd need to flood it as a lot will be shaken off?

I didn't use the nickel lube on the spindle, but I did spend some time brushing it all around the spring and the surfaces that touch. I guess I'll see. But you're right again, it's not something that'll penetrate... it'll pretty much stay close to where you put it

Back
Top Bottom