Rear suspension set up

gary k

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve just purchased a 2011 R1200GS TRIPLE BLACK not sure if it matters what model maybe a bit of info overload but hay ho! I have just fitted a rear hugger and when I sit on the bike the brackets for my SW MOTECH adventure boxes are hitting the top of the hugger ? Can any tell me how to check if my rear shock or damper is knackered please and once I do the Replacent checks what I can do about it
Gary k

You need to measure the sag and report back :beerjug:

Thanks Timolgra
Is the sag the difference between the height of the seat when bike is standing free of a rider and the height of the seat with a rider sat on it ?
Gary k

Put the bike on it's main stand.
Measure from a point on the back of the bike to a point on the swing arm.
Take it off the stand and standing free, take the same measurement......the difference between these two is your FREE SAG.

Now sit on the bike with roughly your riding gear (for weight) on, put your feet on the footrests and get someone to take that same measurement.

The differences between this last measurement and the first one (on the stand) this is the sag we're interested in.

The sag is adjusted by preload on the spring.

I don't know what the figures are for your bike but if your figures seem excessive it gives you a starting point to work out what's wrong, if anything.

I’ve just purchased a 2011 R1200GS TRIPLE BLACK not sure if it matters what model maybe a bit of info overload but hay ho! I have just fitted a rear hugger and when I sit on the bike the brackets for my SW MOTECH adventure boxes are hitting the top of the hugger ? Can any tell me how to check if my rear shock or damper is knackered please and once I do the Replacent checks what I can do about it
Gary k

As Timolgra says; or turn your damping to fully off; press down on the back and watch it spring back up quickly and boing a little; then turn it fully up and press down on the back and watch it return in a slow and treacley way. Only takes seconds.:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom