Bouncy bouncy fixed by saucy suspenders ...?

SilverSurferToo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok, now I've got your attention ... I've taken a *non-ESA* equipped F850GS Sport on a test ride and was quite impressed with the mid range grunt and the overall package. It had various electric frippery (TFT, additional riding modes, SOS button, keyless ignition etc ....), however, on a sequence of bumps and slumps, the back end got itself into a fankle and pogo-ed me out of the seat fairly hard. No really drama apart from a kick up the back-side but I wondered if this was me asking too much from an Adventure bike with a road bias or was there better damping via the ESA option? Has anyone ridden the non-ESA and ESA-equipped versions back to back?

I had dynamic ESA on the 2013 R200GS LC I've just sold and found it very good indeed. I'm around 72Kgs in weight at 5'10" tall (32" inside leg) so most "big" bikes don't settle enough when I climb aboard but the big GS did, and this F850 seemed to settle nicely too. It was the damping (or lack of it) that let it down when things got jiggy. I'll admit I have probably been spoiled by the big GS and also the Tractive unit I've got on my G310, so I know what is possible with both active and really good passive suspension. (I've had full Hyperpro kit on other big bikes in the past and that really worked well).

Any feedback from anyone who's ridden both F850s or come from a R1200GS with ESA to an F850 with ESA would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Stephen.

A bit late in the day for a reply - but it might help. I am 120Kg. I have a F750GS non ESA and the suspension works well with the rear set to (preloaded and rebound) set for rider and luggage. I have all the luggage boxes permanently attached which seems to help smooth things up. The front end, for a cheap set of forks is ok with only the slight lack of composure on B roads and tracks that let it down. I think a set of Hyperpro springs at both ends will help (£220 supplied if you do the job yourself). I have ridden a 850 ESA and that was smoother and the longer travel / better quality forks working well on lumpy roads.

As both bikes have a payload of 216Kg (same as the R1250GS/A as far as I know), they will be sprung pretty firmly to take the weight and the 750 certainly takes some strength to preload the rear spring. You could try the 40mm Hyperpro lowering springs (incidentally same as Touratech ones) that are actually the same length but have the first 40mm set very soft to reduce the height (hence why you don't need to change side or main stands).

As the standard Springs will be fairly firm as they load up, the lack of damping will show itself. Hope this helps.

Thank you Stonehenge, it does indeed help. For one thing I wasn't aware that the lowering Hyperpro springs were actually the same length. That is intriguing. I don't want to lower the bike but do want to improve the damping so I'm guessing that the "best" way is to consider a HyperPro, Tractive, Wilbers replacement with an update to the front springs to reciprocate. No doubt any of those options will work but it's a fair chunk of GBP/EUR to throw at a relatively new bike when I could potentially get the same result from an ESA equipped machine. I've been tied up with a family bereavement but will return to bike shopping in the coming week or two. I just need to find a relatively local dealer with an ESA-equipped F850 that's available to ride.

I assume that you know that the ESA is rear only on the 750/850. The forks on both are non adjustable. I believe only Hyperpro offer any aftermarket units and I would suggest their replacement springs as the first step. Andreani offer brilliant cartridge kits for front forks and will eventually produce some for the 750/850. Just a matter of waiting....

Hi and yes thanks. I thought Tractive might have something in the pipeline too .... Aren't they the ones behind the Touratech upgrade to the forks of the F800GS and F800GSA?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom