Garmin 396LM

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

:D

No rush – sadly I don't think I'm gonna use it anytime soon this month. Back to work.

Also, another question, if you know.

The 396 has wifi. I used it at home to update the unit, etc.
While traveling as well, a friend beamed over some .gpx tracks via bluetooth (from a Nav V). Took a while, but it worked.

Is there any way to send routes to the zumo from the computer (using Basecamp and other Garmin sw) to the Zumo unit via wifi or bluetooth?
I had a slight mishap with cables while traveling and a wireless option would have been useful.

I don’t think Garmin supports sending a route from PC to a device via Bluetooth or Wi-fi. There is a complicated work around where you can send a file via an email.

Also, another question, if you know.

The 396 has wifi. I used it at home to update the unit, etc.

Interesting. I've never managed to get my 396 to do more than connect to wi-fi. It never seems to actually retrieve any data. I have spoken to Garmin about this, but they seem clueless.

It worked on mine. I did the first software updates from the zumo directly. But that was immediately after I bought it.
Everything else after that was done via the USB connection on my Mac.

Being able to send files via bluetooth would have been a cool feature. They should implement it.

My laptop is a 15" MacBook Pro (usb-c only) and at some point in one of the hotels/chambre d'hotes around the alps I managed to lose the only usb-c to usb adaptor I had on me.
Obviously not Garmin's fault, but would have been nice to be able to send data wirelessly.

Digression:
There was a funny bit while I was in Corsica, the week before the Alps, and the Airbnb host informed us that the house didn't have wifi (I had to sort out some quick work stuff + it is always handy), but she promptly gave me an ethernet over power adaptor avec ehternet cable...

This was me, clutching my expensive usb-c only laptop (and with no usb-c to ethernet adapter):
ap_090911089838_sq-3271237f28995f6530d9634ff27228cae88e3440-s800-c85.jpg

Thank god for European flat data roaming and wireless tethering with the phone.

There are two direct routes south I had issues with:
http://notflickr.com/routes_south.zip

The one towards Genova should be the one you see in the photo of the computer screen in post #14.

Now I am a bit confused.

I have down loaded the two files in the link.

1. Izoard/Genova.GPX

2. Calais/Dijon via Nationals.GPX

The pictures in post 14 are all in the UK, based on High Wycombe / Aylesbury. I don't think they are close to Calais, Dijon or Izoard / Genova. But never mind, pressing on.

OK,

I have have started with the file http://notflickr.com/selected_data_from_UK_rides.zip

This contains two GPX routes called:

1. Loop towards Berkhamstead - which is the one pictured in post 14

2. Colin loop retraced, again in post 14

Both routes display just fine on my Mac in BaseCamp

The only comment I would make is that both routes contain a number of silent shaping points but also a number of announced waypoints, ie points you have told the route (and as such your GPS device) you must pass through. To keep things the same, I didn't convert the waypoints to shaping points.

Both routes transfered from BaseCamp into the SD card of the Nav V and were imported from there into the device's Trip Planner app, without a problem. Both routes have the same milage length as they had on my Mac and both look fine. I am confident I could drive both. In short, everything as far as I can see is in good order.

The settings on my Mac and device are the same being:

Maps: CN Europe NTU 2020,10 ALL

Calculation Mode: Fastest time

Avoidances: U-Turns, Unpaved roads

Yes, if I upload them now they work fine.
We should try the experiment again next time there is a map update: eg, reload and transfer to the device the routes straight after the update.

So waypoints (announced) will the GPS go through them no matter what? I didn't realise that.

Maps: CN Europe NTU 2020,10 ALL

Calculation Mode: Fastest time

Avoidances: U-Turns, Unpaved roads

Same here.

I will take a look at the route in the other download later.

The only comments I can make at the moment are:

1. I cannot see where the glitch you show in post 7 is. The photograph is not very clear. can you give me the names for some towns so that I can find it, please

2. There is a glitch in the route Calais / Dijon via Nationals. It is south of Troyes, on the D, just after the village of Pargues before you get to Bagneux la Fosse on the D17. For some reason or another, the route deviates off onto a very minor road (the C3) towards Balnot la Grange, before doubling back on itself to continue on to Bagneux la Fosse. I am guessing that you (or someone) might have created the route from a track, perhaps? If the fellow who created the track went wrong at that point and rode down the minor C3 road by mistake, then his error in the track would render itself in the route.

Other than that (at a very quick look) both routes look OK on my Mac.

I'll see how the two routes load up into the Nav V at some point.

I am guessing that you (or someone) might have created the route from a track, perhaps?

hahaha – yes, it was me. I knew you would spot that.
Yes, that route is created by a track. I discovered that national route almost by accident, keep going that way now. The first time I stopped to take a photo off the road (I went into a small unpaved road for a hundred yards or less). I think there might be a waypoint named "selfie" in the file :D
I kept it as a memento.

When duplicating or inverting the route, it creates some weird loops around Troyes, but that is because of the highway ramps. I developed the habit of checking the routes closely (zoomed in) before exporting them, as sometimes you can find some errors (clicked on a side road, etc).

I cannot see where the glitch you show in post 7 is. The photograph is not very clear. can you give me the names for some towns so that I can find it, please

I cannot replicate the glitch anymore.
It happens, usually, after updating the zumo. Or anyway, happens almost randomly.
My money is on mismatched maps used for routing.

I'll try to trigger it again.

Tried to re-import the Colin loop route. Uploaded it to the memory card, as that most times creates problem. Took forever to calculate it, so I was expecting it to be a mess, but came out ok.

OK I think we now have things sorted out.

When I imported the route from the SD card into the device, it wasn’t the quickest recalculation I have ever seen. I don’t know why.

Either way, it looks like you now have your device working properly, which is great.

Richard

PS I know the road well where there is your little glitch down the C3. I was thinking “I know this” as I was looking at the glitch and the place names.

Always zoom in on any route you create or inherit from somewhere else and watch the little cursor arrow as you drag the map around. If the route makes a sudden jink, there is a good chance you have created an error. If, when you correct the error the route then goes all over the place, it means you are probably trying to force it down a one way street.

Similarly, Garmin sometimes cuts corners in towns or on the open road, as cutting the corner is ‘quicker’. Except it’s sometimes not, as it’s quicker to stay on the road you are on, rather than go down some silly alley.

On the same lines, at some junctions Garmin will route you so that you have to cross a road at a junction, having to give way to two sets of traffic. Sometimes it is obviously quicker to turn at say the next roundabout, not where Garmin says. Zooming in helps this and other route creation / riding fun.

So waypoints (announced) will the GPS go through them no matter what? I didn't realise that.

Yes.

Always use shaping points, unless there is a very good reason why you MUST go through a specific point.

That being said, waypoints do have their uses. Not least as you can ascribe all sorts of qualities and attributes to them. But maybe that’s something for another day.

PS I know the road well where there is your little glitch down the C3. I was thinking “I know this” as I was looking at the glitch and the place names.

Yes, don't remember if it is before or after that small town with the black swans.

Either way, it looks like you now have your device working properly, which is great.

Yes, thanks for the help.
I'm pretty sure that glitch will happen again (it does every once in while). I'll post it when it happens.

Always use shaping points, unless there is a very good reason why you MUST go through a specific point.

Ah, perfect, I didn't know that!
I thought the only difference was that you could choose waypoints when starting a route!

Ah, perfect, I didn't know that!
I thought the only difference was that you could choose waypoints when starting a route!

Yup, you can choose a waypoint when starting a route.

They are most useful though when used as a point that you must go through. For example, let’s say you wanted to go from A to C (your start and end points) but via B, which is the excellent biker friendly cafe everyone says you must have lunch in. You therefore definitely want to go to B.

In between A to B and B to C, you want to go down roads of your choosing, not the roads that Garmin chooses for you. With a Garmin, your start point A and the end point C will always be waypoints, they cannot be anything else. Shape your route using shaping points but make B a waypoint. That way, your device will always take you through point B.

As it’s a waypoint, you can also give point B some properties and qualities of its own. For example, you can give it a name, like ‘Killer cafe’. Or, if you think you will be there for an hour, you can tell the waypoint that your stopover will be an hour long. The software will then extend its estimate of the total journey time A > B > C by one hour. You can also add a picture, the telephone number, the web address and all sorts of other stuff to the waypoint B, if you want to.

The other way that waypoints can be useful is if you are definitely planning to stop at a hotel in a town, let’s say Dijon but you do not know which one. Let’s also say that the next day you definitely want to leave Dijon on the D123. You could create a route for the day before that simply ended in the middle of Dijon, as opposed to a specific hotel.

Your next day’s route - planned in advance at home - you could start from the middle of Dijon (even if the hotel you finally chose as you liked the look of it as you rode past is say on the north side) but if you put a waypoint on the D123 you will be able to chose it and be sure that, no matter where you are in Dijon, you will go through it and definitely be on the D123, so the rest of the next day’s pre-planned route will be fine. This has lots of other advantages, all to do with the way that modern Garmin devices plot routes from wherever you are to known waypoints; something that causes lots of confusion with some owners, particularly when they start their route some distance away from where they expected to. In this example, starting their route, not from the middle of Dijon but from a hotel on the north of the city.

People moan about BaseCamp but it really is a very powerful piece of software, just as their GPS devices are now very powerful *, too. Yes, you can replicate route creation in all sorts of other third party software (some of it very good) but some do not integrate very well, bringing with them other problems that we read about on these pages. Be patient with yourself, with BaseCamp and with your powerful GPS device, they are all much better than you maybe think they are.

* But can be really dum, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom