Garmin 396LM

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie

Stay Frosty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Could there be need a 396 section in this forum? Seems to be Garmin's newest general purpose bike unit.

I'd have thought they would be a popular choice with those not going the Nav route, and they certainly are not without issues we might help sort.

Well start then and tell us all whats gone wrong - and what yer do or dont like - that may be a good starter thread

Bought it before going to Spain this Easter.
It replaces my piece-o-shit 660.

Overall quite happy with it. It did what it was supposed to do. It keeps all the Garmin "quirks" (aka: shit software).

Things I was a bit disappointed about:

– screen is way better than the Zumo 660 (a used tampon with some directions scribbled with a bic pen would be better than the 660's screen) but still not very readable even in overcast days.
– overall speed (CPU) could be better
– there is a recurring bug when you try to shut down the device pressing the power button at the back once: the dialog window that appears is unresponsive. See the video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ipPK9s37edc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

- weather data (I'm paying the yearly subscription) is nice, maps overlay could be more detailed and, again, it is very slow at drawing the screen

Does it talk to Mapsource?

Just came back from vacation. Did about 5k km between Corsica/Italy/France/Switzerland and Germany – created quite a lot of routes, got to learn a bit more about the 396.
Some other impressions, in random order:

1. I updated the maps (on BC and on the Zumo device) the day before leaving. Never again.
It fucked up royally all my routes, despite the maps being on both devices.
Even after recalculation it kept fucking up royally all the routes, I later discovered that when the maps are updated, Garmin – christ alone knows why – resets routing preferences and avoidances. So, since it was in Motorcycle mode, it reverted to avoid motorways AND national roads.

See:

zumo_wrongrouting.jpg

2. It took me many years, but finally decided to ditch the shitty 3D view and switch to 2D top view (direction of travel). Much more info on the map itself, easier to understand, and it seems to use less processing power, so the unit seems to be slightly snappier. I should have done this a long time ago.

zumo_top.jpg

Auto zooming while on ramps/junctions is insufficient though.
I changed the zooming factor in the Developer Menu options, but it is still too far (max you can set is 120 meters on the scale) and sometimes you'll have to manually zoom in to 80 or 30m.
Trying to understand if there is a way to alter those settings by editing the config files, but... risky route - pun intended.

You can access the dev menu long pressing the speed in the info panel below:
zumo_screenshot_01.png

These are my current settings:
zumo_screenshot_02.png

Screen visibility is still poor on overcast days, but I'm slowly liking my zumo more and more. Most of the issues are caused by poorly implemented software or update procedures – so there is always some hope. :D

I cannot think why anyone ever uses the 3D display, maybe they think it looks nice?

I can’t say that I have ever noticed that updating the maps creates a problem on any Garmin device *. That being said, I do not set the avoidances on my computer and on my devices to anything but ‘Avoid unmade roads’ / ‘Avoid U-turns’, so if they do re-set they’d all only ever default to ‘Avoid unmade roads’ / ‘Avoid U-turns’, so I’d never notice.

The trouble as I see it with setting avoidances, is that people forget what it is they set. They then rant that the bloody device keeps on taking them off the bloody motorway or away from the awesome tolled pass, when they have forgotten that (many months ago) they set their device to avoid motorways and to avoid toll roads, as they hate motorways and tolls are a bloody rip off.

Complicated motorway interchanges are often a challenge for any GPS device. They can sometimes become confused what lane you are travelling in (especially when the accuracy drops momentarily) and on complicated over and underpasses, when just for a moment it cannot tell if you are on the road above or the road beneath. I try to look at the turning well in advance, saying to myself, something along the the lines of: “It’s 200 meters, under the flyover, follow Bolzano”. I have the sound turned off, too. I think this helps as, like using a map or even the hand written directions we all grew up with, it forces the rider to think ahead. Yes, I make mistakes but not having some woman reading out gibberish road names whilst I am trying to avoid the large juggernaut, simultaneously trying to see if that really is a no-entry road and if the three bikes behind me are still there, is definitely an advantage.

* I’ll accept that Garmin’s short lived problem with some devices not loading Europe South, was a problem. How much of that was down to the owner’s software not having been updated, I am not sure. But hey, the problem was resolved.

I cannot think why anyone ever uses the 3D display, maybe they think it looks nice?

I think it is more intuitive for some people (most people cannot read cartography).

I can’t say that I have ever noticed that updating the maps creates a problem on any Garmin device.

The weird mapping shown in the picture above has happened with me multiple times with the 660 too.
I had my computer with me, so recalculated it all. Still, I wasn't able to use my routes until I figured out that it was avoiding national roads as well.
It seems like it reverts to calculating the route on the base map, but keeps those random waypoints around (the straight lines). I creates routes that are thousand miles long. When I see that it takes ages to import a route, I know already the fuck-up happened.
I'm trying to understand what goes wrong.

They can sometimes become confused what lane you are travelling in (especially when the accuracy drops momentarily) and on complicated over and underpasses, when just for a moment it cannot tell if you are on the road above or the road beneath.

In Switzerland I did a couple of gravel roads. For a while they proceed next to the motorway and the Zumo "stuck" my position to the motorway.
This is due to legacy software behaviour, where sat navs "link" you to the next major road if GPS positioning is not clear. In central London, or the City, it happened to me all the times with the 660 rendering it useless.
See the Etak story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etak

That being said, I do not set the avoidances on my computer and on my devices to anything but ‘Avoid unmade roads’ / ‘Avoid U-turns’, so if they do re-set they’d all only ever default to ‘Avoid unmade roads’ / ‘Avoid U-turns’, so I’d never notice.

Good point.
I'll remove all avoidances too.

The only strange thing it did was to try and route via the shortest way though some small towns, despite the settings being for "faster". I'll review all the settings.

Apart from these issues, that are a mix of my error and some software misconfig, quite happy with this new Zumo so far.

I make mistakes but not having some woman reading out gibberish road names whilst I am trying to avoid the large juggernaut, simultaneously trying to see if that really is a no-entry road and if the three bikes behind me are still there, is definitely an advantage

"Why don't you stop and ask for directions?"

:D :D :D :D

I can say, with first hand experience, NEVER, EVER update your maps the day before going away on the bike! :comfort :D

I can say, with first hand experience, NEVER, EVER update your maps the day before going away on the bike! :comfort :D

Nor the software. If it works, just leave it until you get back..... or get good at checking things before you depart.... or get a TomTom, they are brilliant :banana

er-minio, did you create your routes in BaseCamp / Mapsource or in third party (non-Garmin) software?

In your picture, it looks like Garmin does not know that there is any road between the points where there is a large gap in the route. It looks a bit like the base map but it’s hard to tell how much you have zoomed in.

It looks like there are are lots and lots of very close together way / via points on the ‘non-existent’ road, which the software has done its best to route you to, by taking you along the main road, then taking you straight off off to the points and back again. Did you have to force the route along the ‘non-existent’ road? I am always very suspicious of very straight magenta lines, usually a sign that there is no road there or Garmin is doing its best, as it lacks enough data from within the route itself to match it to the map, without help.

Wapping, I only use Basecamp for mapping/routing and stick to Garmin software only (so I can get upset with them :D ).

which the software has done its best to route you to, by taking you along the main road, then taking you straight off off to the points and back again

Yes, that is the case.
It seems like it tries to keep the existing waypoints, but routes along the Base Map (the roads are pretty much off). But it generates extra waypoints.

This started happening to me on the 660. Weirdly enough it would do it on the Garmin unit only, if I uploaded the routes from BC to the main memory.
If I uploaded the routes from BC to the SD card (where the proper maps where installed) it would go fine.

On the 396 this happened randomly a few times and the issue, as you see, is replicated on the computer as well.
I now ALWAYS have do double check after uploading new routes to the GPS.

This is what was happening on the 660.
Pictures are from an older thread I opened on the other (Italian) forum I am part of.

The original basecamp route:
traccia_locale.png

And then, the miscalculated one:
traccia_zumo.png

zumoemilio.jpg

Getting back on topic (396) – I'm investigating online if it is possible to alter the zooming factors any further when approaching a junction while the unit is routing.

The second picture shows that the GPS device knows where all the way/via points (the blue flags) are but not how to join them up. That’s sometimes the sign of a classic mismatch between the maps on the PC and the maps on the device and / or that a recalculation needs to happen, which will in turn be affected by the preference settings.

It’s really hard to advise on things like this, as there are so many variables.

My advice would be to start from square one:

1. Bring the maps and software up to date on both your PC and GPS device

2. Reduce the preference settings on the PC and the GPS device to either off or to as few as possible. If you create your own routes, you automatically have your own settings, as you can drag the route to suit yourself. Preference settings (like avoid motorways) are used by people who want to be told how to go from A to B but not go down a motorway

3. Create some simple and some complicated routes on your PC, then send them to your GPS device to see how you get on

Yes – maps mismatch is the most probable cause.

3. Create some simple and some complicated routes on your PC, then send them to your GPS device to see how you get on

It is what I am doing.
I've been also learning how to use properly Basecamp in the last year or so – so I'm doing a lot of testing. :D

Another couple of bits about the 396.

Squarespace. When I saw it came up with Squarespace I was a bit puzzled (I never liked it). But I have to say it is awesome to find locations quickly. Of course you need the data connection from your phone.

Data connection. I keep it linked to the phone at all times.
Traffic updates are good. Weather too (I subscribed). The weather map is a bit underwhelming, but the weather forecast along the route is useful and accurate.
It drains the phone battery, so I keep the iPhone connected to an external battery pack in my backpack. Otherwise it goes kaputt in a few hours.

Had to disable some notification settings on the iPhone as I was getting Slack notifications on the Zumo screen :D
At the moment I get notifications for SMS/iMessage. I cannot seem to have notifications for Whatsapp messages, but that might be a blessing in disguise.

I don't want to use the phone while riding or any other comms units, but I grew accustomed to see messages popping on the screen. Because most of the times is the friend I'm riding with that falls back, stops and texts me to ask where we should meet again :D

The little (x) close button on the notification screen is hard to reach (an notifications are persistent).
It would be nice to be able to just swipe right on the notification panel to hide it ("coarse" gesture is the term).

Hi er-minio,

One idea. If you share the file for the route in post #14 with us, we can have a go at replicating (or curing) your problem. This simple idea has worked well with others who have had similar problems.

If it’s file that is greater than the site’s limit, host it on something like Dropbox.

Thanks for the link. I’ll have a go at opening it up this evening.

Share some of the more recent ones that have created you problems too, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom