2020 S1000RR Woes

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anybody got a new bike on order ?

c16d5e954d27048bcf6ccdb72673a019.jpg

They do look good and the reviews so far have put it ahead of the V4 Pani but there’s been a major recall with bikes needing engine changes even before leaving the showroom.

Another fuck up !

This letter explains it more :

Phil Horton, Director, Motorrad UK
E-mail Customer.Service@bmw.co.uk
From
Recipient Date Subject
Attn: Prospective Owners of the new BMW S 1000 RR June 13, 2019
S 1000 RR Order Status and Production Delays
Mr XXXX
Dear: __________________________
I am writing to you today to update you on the above topic; a topic that is as disappointing and frustrating for BMW Motorrad UK and its Retailers as it is for yourself.
First, please let me apologise on behalf of BMW for the extensive delay that you have had to endure so far. Secondly, please excuse the lack of personalisation on this letter which is due to the fact that your data is at this stage held by your Retailer and not BMW itself.
Unfortunately, I’m sorry to have to inform you that BMW’s Plant Berlin continues to experience ongoing production delays with this brand new model. These delays are the result of supply chain issues and the nature of these delays mean that confirming expected delivery dates is very challenging.
To put the topic in context, in advance of the new bike’s 1 June launch UK Retailers were holding several hundred confirmed orders, over half of which were placed in or before the last quarter of 2018; as at today we have delivered to UK customers less than ten bikes! In addition, last Friday we were informed that worldwide RR production in Berlin will virtually cease through June and July, while the plant builds the backlog of May’s production. Therefore, even the August and September delivery dates that many UK customers were given in good faith by their Retailer may not now be met. In fact, as we currently cannot obtain a guarantee that high volume production will definitely re-commence in August, there is still a small risk that we may not even deliver every one of the currently held orders this year.
The ‘supply chain issues’ referred to above apparently centre around a single component provided by a third party that has not been able to provide acceptable quality on 100% of parts supplied. As you would expect, Plant Berlin will simply not build bikes that in any way do not meet BMW’s exacting standards, hence the very slow rate of production so far.
Separately, in the UK we face an additional issue in that over 80% of our orders are for the top of the range M Sport specification while the factory currently has a maximum capacity of 35-40%.
We understand the anticipation for this model is extremely high and can only reassure you we are working as hard as possible in the background to achieve the earliest possible delivery date for you. I can also confirm that as bikes are received in the UK they will continue to be allocated as fairly as possible based on retailer order date.
In recognition of the further disappointment this announcement will cause we would like to offer you a £500 Retailer Credit which can be used towards servicing, parts ,accessories or BMW rider wear and which will be available upon collection of your ordered S 1000 RR.
Once again, please accept my apologies for the massive inconvenience and frustration caused by the delay you are experiencing and thank you in advance for your continued patience and loyalty to the BMW Motorrad brand.
Yours faithfully

Bloody eck was drooling about that when they tested it last week on French TV Highside, absolute beast of a bike.

Why can’t BMW launch a new bike nowadays without all this shit?

I’m seriously interested in the new XR, but not if this is becoming standard practice.

Never buy a brand new anything (bike or car) until a year into production.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rumour has it that this is costing BMW very dear, they put a lot of money in R&D for this bike. That coupled with the Diesel problems with the cars and not being to supply a load of these until recently has hit the share price

Attachments

• bmw shares.PNG
    bmw shares.PNG
    16.2 KB · Views: 880
Why can’t BMW launch a new bike nowadays without all this shit?

I’m seriously interested in the new XR, but not if this is becoming standard practice.

Me too Nutty and I’ve only just got the 1250 after selling the XR spoke to the dealer he said it will have a lot of new features similar to the Gs but the constant problems is a concern.

As I believe the XR will not be around till late 20/21 as I'm interested also, so let's hope they sort the issues out by then :thumb

I've not ridden it Arsey but have had the pleasure of the H2SX, so as you've ridden both what are your thoughts ? :D

I've not ridden it Arsey but have had the pleasure of the H2SX, so as you've ridden both what are your thoughts ? :D

Most of the road test reviews have put the new S1000RR (in M Sport edition) ahead of the Pani V4S.So I was curious to ride the RR.
N Oxford don’t have an M Sport demo due to the huge fuck up with orders and engine woes so it was just the standard model.

But I was surprised to find the RR more cramped than the Pani V4S and from memory the Pani had higher bars and lower pegs so definitely more roomy for an old twat like me.

The motor on the RR is utterly barking and the way the cam chimes in above 4000 revs is addictive.But for me the bike just didn’t seem as special as the Pani and if I was buying either then it would be a Pani V4S Corse like dis.....

31a750ed440255bf013f3d4e655721c3.jpg

If I didn’t have the H2 SX SE then I would probably get the Pani but there’s no point and it’s too much dosh.

The Kwak is a stunning bike and is very comfy to ride long distances.Ok,the outright handling is much better on the sports bikes but for a very average rider like me,the Kwak is just fine.
It handles very well and seems to be set up for the larger rider.And the supercharger coming on song is a party piece that neither the Pani or the RR have.

Plus you can bolt panniers to the Kwak in seconds and go tour !!

I've had an order in for the new RR since last September and was supposed to get the bike last month. Because of the delays Bahnstormer Motorad have given me this brand new 1250GS TE completely free as an extended demo until the RR gets here with the option of keeping it until next march if I wish. Its depressing that the RR is delayed but I'm really happy with the customer service and I get to see what these GS intergalactic starships are all about for free for six months! I was looking at the XR which seemed ideal for my hooligan ways but was put off by the bar vibes on some bikes since I wanted to be able to cover distance and tick off a few far flung destinations that I never would have done on a racebike.

The new RR is awesome by the way, definitely the best bike out there at the moment having tried most of the others. I'm a Ducati man but I can't race a V4 due to the capacity increase and its bound to be an expensive exercise so the RR makes sense, plus I'm racing a Gen 3 this year anyhow and I really like BMW attitude. I do however think some slower riding people will be underwhelmed on the new RR because it is so linear and easy to ride and you don't realise how fast you are going. Its seriously impressive.

I've had an order in for the new RR since last September and was supposed to get the bike last month. Because of the delays Bahnstormer Motorad have given me this brand new 1250GS TE completely free as an extended demo until the RR gets here with the option of keeping it until next march if I wish. Its depressing that the RR is delayed but I'm really happy with the customer service and I get to see what these GS intergalactic starships are all about for free for six months! I was looking at the XR which seemed ideal for my hooligan ways but was put off by the bar vibes on some bikes since I wanted to be able to cover distance and tick off a few far flung destinations that I never would have done on a racebike.

The new RR is awesome by the way, definitely the best bike out there at the moment having tried most of the others. I'm a Ducati man but I can't race a V4 due to the capacity increase and its bound to be an expensive exercise so the RR makes sense, plus I'm racing a Gen 3 this year anyhow and I really like BMW attitude. I do however think some slower riding people will be underwhelmed on the new RR because it is so linear and easy to ride and you don't realise how fast you are going. Its seriously impressive.

Out of interest ,did you try a V4S as well ?
I wasn’t underwhelmed by the RR,just expected much more of it.

Great, thanks for the quick reply. The H2SX SE I absolutely loved, and as you say it can carry panniers and is comfortable. I'm an old codger also :D but find now that thrown over the front just isn't comfortable anymore, it plays havoc with my neck and wrists so if the S1000RR is that much smaller then I'm out :thumb. I love my XR so may just hold out and see if when the gremlins are sorted out they update it with the RR engine :) Thanks again :thumb

Out of interest ,did you try a V4S as well ?
I wasn’t underwhelmed by the RR,just expected much more of it.

Yes the V4S are beautiful bikes. I havn't taken one on track but I had my mates for an afternoon for a good hoon around the Silverstone area. The Ducati will always be more exciting since that's what they are about, and likely will 'feel' faster because of it. For me the BMW is the one as it ticks all the boxes (now including low weight and front end feel which is my main gripe with the Gen3 so now no compromises) but more importantly for me it looks to be much more stable at the limit. The V2 Ducati is a handful at the limit and difficult to push and I'm not convinced the V4 has fixed that whereas the BMW feels like it will lap up the abuse more like an R6. The other side of the coin is that it doesn't 'feel' so exciting when riding normally because of it.

Took a V4S out today as my 899 is still awaiting being fixed at the dealer. Loved pretty much everything about the V4S (apart from the Insurance cost) and it was so easy and familiar to ride. The demo bike had the Akrapovic exhaust on, and made it sound wonderful (but is a stupendous £4K+). I didn't change from 'Sport' mode as didn't feel the need and am sure I didn't scratch the surface of its abilities. The 'S' gains semi-active suspension and forged wheels over the non-S and it looks like they are selling many more S's than standard models.

Will wait and see what my 899 costs to fix, then decide if I'm going to go for it.

48272739076_ea35d7d914_z.jpg

I really don't want another IL4 superbike, so won't demo the S1000RR as a comparison.

RBW.

I've had an order in for the new RR since last September and was supposed to get the bike last month. Because of the delays Bahnstormer Motorad have given me this brand new 1250GS TE completely free as an extended demo until the RR gets here with the option of keeping it until next march if I wish. Its depressing that the RR is delayed but I'm really happy with the customer service and I get to see what these GS intergalactic starships are all about for free for six months! .

I think quite a few dealers have done this to customers who are awaiting the RR. Now they can't get enough GS1250s to sell.! Also i forecast quite a few 1250s on the market early next year, that prob been thrashed .

Good luck Monners ,with your new RR, hope it lives up to the expectation for you

Back
Top Bottom