Thoughts on commuting

gazuk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had my 2016 GSA since September 2018 and put about 4500 miles on in, mostly Sunday ride outs and a few tours to Wales and Black Forest.

Just got a job now that has a commute of 10 miles each way with parking for bike/car. THe job is in a busy town so rush hour traffic will make the car journey considerably longer and I'm not one to get in a hour early just to miss traffic. So, I am currenly taking the GSA in but am in two minds on whether to do this all year, or would it be better to buy a cheap commuter and leave the GSA for the longer journeys.

The brother-in-law has a VFR I could have for less than a grand (and it's been looked after apart from unused for the past year), so barring disasters I reckon that could be kept on the road for around £400 a year.

I do consider th GSA a keeper, but then we all say that until 'space issues/house move/bad health/ fancy a change' - delete where applicable.

Have done the all year commute before (and alot further) on an old bike, but do I want to put arounf 4500miles a year of commuter miles on the GSA?

Thoughts?

I ride my GSA into central London everyday. Could have a cheaper hack but if I did that I wouldn't ride the GSA that much as I do. And I love riding it.

Also, the electronics saved me this morning on a bend in the wet going over a manhole cover. Would have binned it on my old bandit. Right outside the office too.

I use my GSA to ride into Whitechapel, but if I only did 10 miles I would just get a cheap scooter personally.

Get the hack and save your GSA from the horrible nasty salt and resulting corrosion and dance of the electric fairies later in its life.

I’d buy the VFR, tbh as much as I like riding my GSA, in the past I’ve come close to buying an older RT for the winter and if I update it I may well store my GSA at work over the winter and do just that.

I've commuted all my life on motorbikes. First in Rome, then in London.
More recently (a few years) I started cycling as an alternative (9 mile and 5 mile commutes). To be fair: I prefer it.

In the last few years: commuted daily to Whitechapel (Leman St) on my 2007 GSA Adv. I'm quite quick in traffic and can filter easily with it. It is fun most times.
The only problem I had: I think I ruined the clutch of the bike (GSA has a very short first gear) dragging it in second gear (London drivers are the slowest motherfuckers on the planet) quite often.
My commute now is to Bank. As said earlier: pushbike most days, but if the weather is crap or if I have something else to do I'd be on the GS.
This is 90% rider error (my error) and it could be due to riding style, but keep it in mind.

For an odd 4k miles per year it doesn't make sense IMHO to get another bike. Just ride the GS. You'll get much more confidence with the bike. :)
Save that money on some extra care for the GS. Warm it up nicely. Clean it up/ACF50 the crap out of it in winter. Be prepared to ruin/square a set of tyres.

Commuting by motorcycle is more expensive. A cage is more protective. An ebike, if you can handle the hills, why not? A GSA is not a keeper, ever. 2 bikes is twice the maintenance.

There are lots of 1200 GSA’s parked in the motorbike bays of the City each day. There are lots of different bikes and scooters there too. You can find just the same on top of Alpine passes, along with bicycles.

That only goes to prove that you can commute and ride to ‘Adventures’ on anything you like.

I have a 15 mile (each way) commute that takes 1 hour in the car, 40 mins by GS, 30 mins when I borrow my lads CBR500 and 1 hour, including shower, when I cycle. As I have to use the car 2 days a week anyway (as the mrs and dog come in with me) it's not worth buying a second hack, so I tend to cycle or use the CBR if time is tight. If I had to do it every day I'd buy something like a 250 scooter.

I don't like using the GS as, due to a lot of the narrow dual carriageways in Leeds, it's too tight to get through gaps, plus where I park it at the office it has to be bumped up onto a small kerb. Basically the CBR is just easier.

If I was you though I'd probably just get the VFR - at those prices it comes down to the condition of the bike more than anything.

I didn't pass my car test until I was 39, so used to commute by bike.

As I live in the Pennines the roads tend to be plastered in salt from November to March and this destroys most bikes unless you rinse them after ever ride and reapply FS365 or similar. I tended to use a winter hack or cycle as it's only a 4.5 mile commute anyway. An old VFR750 was the best winter hack as it's build quality was excellent and it got through a few winters virtually unscathed.

Nowadays I just use the car (as it's company funded) or cycle. By the time I've got the bike unchained, out of the garage and got my gear on I'm nearly at work in the car or pushbike.

7 miles each way

20 mins going in by car
30-45 coming home by car

10 mins going in by bike (GS)
90 mins coming home by bike :) :) ;) ;)

Its the best bit about the day, riding the bike (all weathers )

I commute on my GSA. It’s a work horse for me. I think the last pure recreational ride out I had on it was last year running it in in Wales.
Winter commuting will eat the GS.
I will hose it down with cold water after a wet winter commute but that’s not enough to keep the corrosion at bay.
If you wanted to commute all year it would need a proper clean every weekend during the winter and a top up of protection if you wanted to keep the bike long term.
My brother has a GSA as well but he commutes on a 650 scooter and swears by it. Nimble, fast and less crap sprayed on you.
I would go with the VFR or an ebike if I were you.

Back
Top Bottom