Choices, deliberations.

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For a while, when I had the R100RS I also had an ex Special Branch R100CS, it was shared between leics and Notts constabularies and was fitted with special listening and surveillance kit, to such an extent that whoever was on the bike was detailed never to leave it unattended and they had a horsebox and Land Rover on constant standby as a covert recovery rig. It was maintained by Mick Barr all its life, so I bought it as a hack and used it - I got on with it better than the R100RS if truth be told, but with the fairing the RS got the use, especially through the winters.

Now, I have been offered a pretty good 100CS at reasonable money, not cheap but affordable. At the same kind of money I have seen a really nice R80 - just a standard R80, with no racks or anything, but it has been completely rebuilt, and it too has the Brembo brakes (I wouldn't entertain those ATE things, I had one bike with them and never got to grips with how to maintain them!)

What are pros and cons for these two deliberations then please chaps? Anything to consider that I have overlooked? :bow

I'd say just go with whichever one grabs your heart as in my view that's what these bikes are all about.

I'd say just go with whichever one grabs your heart as in my view that's what these bikes are all about.

Thank you. No differences in the motors or shafts that I should consider? The CS is 1982, the 80 is 1983, so not much in it. I know they did improvements to the 100s to reduce surging and stuff. They have similar mileages too - the CS is tattier of the two, but has panniers and rack, which would be useful, but they are only the plastic brief case BMW ones. I am happy to get some racks made and use soft panniers if I have to for the 80.

It was engine and ride differences I was interested in, if there is anything to watch on one and not the other, type of thing.

... It was engine and ride differences I was interested in, if there is anything to watch on one and not the other, type of thing.
When i was in the market for similar Bikes it was put to me that the main difference between these is that the power comes in earlier (lower revs) on the 80 and runs out of power earlier too.
So, to make progress on a 100 requires higher revs / but is eventually :rolleyes: faster.
I'd go for the 80. More riding the revs/torque and less gear changes = more use in the real world. :thumb
As you describe it, the 80 sounds like a better buy anyhow.
Good luck with the decision. :aidan

I am .... cognitating..... I have the 80GS, with panniers and it is very clean and I want to keep it that way. I have the 650 Xcountry, which I have put 15,000 miles on in the last year quite happily (I've put 7000 on it since March!) I still have the 1150 Adv too, which I do use, but the weight is putting me off now. It is like riding a magic carpet out on the road though.

Do I need another bike? The thing is, it has good pedigree. not cheap, but realistic for condition. Are we going to be paying £4 a litre for petrol in a years time? Life is such a conundrum.... I think I'll have another beer and cogitate some more. I have a few days in Scotland coming up, that will clear my head!

Thanks for your inputs so far guys. Certainly the R80 gets good ownership feedback, I don't need to go fast, I tend to dawdle about at around the 65 mph mark on the big roads. hence taking the smaller roads, so I don't feel so pressured by other traffic.

Back
Top Bottom