Dropped helmet = new helmet?

I’d be more worried about what twisting force that GoPro mount could have on my neck, and more importantly how daft I’d look wearing a GoPro like that...
Indeed

What exactly are you filming ?
In case I have an accident and they other driver leaves the scene. It's saved me big time once for a lane change accident where it would have gone 50/50 but the GoPro was the ultimate witness and I got paid. Quite well too. Wouldn't ride without one but never watch the footage unless.

I originally got it because I had an accident and the guy who was the witness was 17. Turns out you have to be 18 to a be a witness so I got f all.

I would think that looking at the pictures the main impact was absorbed by the mount and not the helmet , the visor also took damage , but this is also attached to the shell so again would have absorbed the impact , if there are no impact marks on the helmet I would still use it.

In case I have an accident and they other driver leaves the scene. It's saved me big time once for a lane change accident where it would have gone 50/50 but the GoPro was the ultimate witness and I got paid. Quite well too. Wouldn't ride without one but never watch the footage unless.

I originally got it because I had an accident and the guy who was the witness was 17. Turns out you have to be 18 to a be a witness so I got f all.

Stick the GPro on the bike on a mount ?

I wouldn't want anything like that stuck on my helmet

Remember Mr Schumacher

Stick the GPro on the bike on a mount ?

I wouldn't want anything like that stuck on my helmet

Remember Mr Schumacher
You're right actually. I would prefer on the bike but I know I'd forget to take it off one day and someone would steal it. I think there are anti vibration mounts for bikes now so I'll buy one and try it out.

I once watched a Shoei Multitec roll off my bike seat and go 10ft down the road it was only weeks old. I took a close look but apart from one tiny mark could see no damage. I wore that lid for the next four years and eventually binned it because it was getting pretty tired looking. Cut the straps and into the bin it went. Forget about replacing it and carry on, i would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just make sure you ALWAYS ride within the law, and NEVER break the speed limit, as you don’t want to hand any incriminating evidence to the police should the worst happen, and you can’t whip the camera off quickly enough one day. ;)

You can’t go out without filming everything just in case you have an accident and aren’t to blame and you have to wear the Go Pro to stop it getting stolen ?

Ah.....the joys of getting out on two wheels and just chilling out......:)

Prior to disposing of an old helmet contact your local fire station or ambulance depot as they may be able to use it in training exercises.

Just make sure you ALWAYS ride within the law, and NEVER break the speed limit, as you don’t want to hand any incriminating evidence to the police should the worst happen, and you can’t whip the camera off quickly enough one day. ;)
Hey, it's pointed slightly up for a reason! The only reason I don't show the speed is I'm embarrassed by how slow I'm going...

Damage

This is obviously a personal choice. When helmets are tested they are dropped from various heights and the one that I remember is an 8 foot drop with the impact on the crown of the helmet and impact speed was measured at 13mph. I am not a physics expert but the drop you describe will probably have been from about 4 feet and I estimate that would result in around a 5 or 6 mph impact. I have heard of people collapsing and banging their head on the ground resulting in a fatality. Your choice. Just remember that whilst the outer shell may not display significant damage it is the inner shell that absorbs the majority of the impact forces and if that is compressed then it will not provide as much resistance next time and the only place that impact force can go is through the skull.
For peace of mind consider getting it tested.

It training we always said, the price of your helmet indicates the value you put on your head.

:nenau

What bollox to have such a sweeping statement. I think Arai are as good a lid as you can get, however they do not fit me and give me a headache within 10 minutes. I feel sure that my chosen lid will be within 10% of the safety offered by an Arai but was half the price...but most importantly to me, It fits properly, doesn't give me headaches etc

It's actually quite interesting to read all of these comments and see peoples thoughts on this topic. I'll give you the answer from a personal perspective, and also a perspective of someone who's been selling motorycle helmets for 8 years now.

I did notice someone said for a start Arai check the helmets over once crashed in, this has been a wierd rumour going round the motorcycle industry for years, Arai never scanned the helmets to check for damage, they'd simply turn around to you and tell you to buy a new helmet. once an impact has been taken All manufacturers will tell you this, I'm 100% certain of that.

As for the correct answer, yes you should change the helmet. There used to be an amazing video Nolan Helmets released a few years ago, where they held a helmet in a vice, and piled a led weight right into the forhead of the helmet, as some serious speed, and the first time this happened absolutely nothing happened to the helmet, no marks and you'd never notice the difference, however the second time they did the exact same weight, exact same speed it crumpled and the weight went straight through the shell and into the forehead of the person inside (obviously no one was wearing the helmet). This for me proved enough that once a helmet has taken an impact it shouldn't take a second at any time. I'm well aware people ride around in helmets they've dropped but trying to give someone proof of this is actually really difficult as everyone has their own opinion on the matter (just like everyone here has said conflicting things).

What I will say about the Go Pro is that it's actually going to make the impact worse, and "legally" you shouldn't have anything stuck onto the outside of your helmet. Now I know what you're all going to say, many of you have intercoms and cameras but the answer is technically you're all breaking the law :) - A helmet is approved from the manufacturer as it comes in the box, once you put something onto it it would in theory need to be tested again to make sure it still passes the same test it passed without the addition of a go pro or intercom attached. It's a super grey area in the motorcycle industry and something you'll almost certainly never have heard anyone tell you before, and this is why helmet manufacturers are starting to make many helmets with comms as slick as possible integrated (Like the Shoei Neotec 2 with intercom ther's nothing sticking on the outside etc). As you can imagine these extra bits on the outside of a helmet make a very concentrated impact point, that if they were to take an impact on all the force gets focused on the same point in the helmet, which makes it much worse than something spread out. Imagine a dart tip, sharp it'll pierce through anything, vs a 2p coin it's spread out and won't pierce through everything. obviously this is n a bigger scale but I think you'll all understand my point here.

The other thing to note is, many manufacturers paint the inside of the polystyrene layer black so you're able to see how over time this cracks with wear and becomes "worn". This will give you a rough guide on how much white you can see coming through - there's no right or wrong when to change a helmet, but it's a bit of guidance as to when it'll be available.

Now the important part.. my personal opinion... Given my mass wealth of knowledge of how helmets are made would I personally change that helmet?
1. It would depend on how long I'd had the helmet, if it was up to 6 months old, I'd seriously struggle to reach back into my pocket again and spend another few hundred pounds on a helmet, so I think that would be partly swaying my decision. If it's a few years old then the answer would be yes I'd definitely change it anyways - it wouldn't be worth the risk for me personally.
2. How much is that helmet worth? If it's a big proportion of what "spare" cash you have then it may make it more difficult but for me I value my head, especially when the thing you're contemplating on could be the thing that means you walk away from an accident of not.
3.Was there an intercom / camera affecting how the impact was taken, if so yes that area of impact was concentrated so yes I'd be more leaning towards replacing.
4. How big was the impact? If it's a low roll then I probably wouldn't but if it was from waist height or above, and made a big "thud" then yes I'd replace the helmet.

I do hope this helps everyone's decision. This is a very well educated guidance and also my personal opinion involved as well. as always, anyone has any questions, I should after 8 years know pretty much everything you'd want to know so I'll do my best to help, but this subject is quite a grey area, with the correct answer being replace the helmet but there are other factors that come into place as well.

It's actually quite interesting to read all of these comments and see peoples thoughts on this topic. I'll give you the answer from a personal perspective, and also a perspective of someone who's been selling motorycle helmets for 8 years now.

I did notice someone said for a start Arai check the helmets over once crashed in, this has been a wierd rumour going round the motorcycle industry for years, Arai never scanned the helmets to check for damage, they'd simply turn around to you and tell you to buy a new helmet. once an impact has been taken All manufacturers will tell you this, I'm 100% certain of that.

As for the correct answer, yes you should change the helmet. There used to be an amazing video Nolan Helmets released a few years ago, where they held a helmet in a vice, and piled a led weight right into the forhead of the helmet, as some serious speed, and the first time this happened absolutely nothing happened to the helmet, no marks and you'd never notice the difference, however the second time they did the exact same weight, exact same speed it crumpled and the weight went straight through the shell and into the forehead of the person inside (obviously no one was wearing the helmet). This for me proved enough that once a helmet has taken an impact it shouldn't take a second at any time. I'm well aware people ride around in helmets they've dropped but trying to give someone proof of this is actually really difficult as everyone has their own opinion on the matter (just like everyone here has said conflicting things).

What I will say about the Go Pro is that it's actually going to make the impact worse, and "legally" you shouldn't have anything stuck onto the outside of your helmet. Now I know what you're all going to say, many of you have intercoms and cameras but the answer is technically you're all breaking the law :) - A helmet is approved from the manufacturer as it comes in the box, once you put something onto it it would in theory need to be tested again to make sure it still passes the same test it passed without the addition of a go pro or intercom attached. It's a super grey area in the motorcycle industry and something you'll almost certainly never have heard anyone tell you before, and this is why helmet manufacturers are starting to make many helmets with comms as slick as possible integrated (Like the Shoei Neotec 2 with intercom ther's nothing sticking on the outside etc). As you can imagine these extra bits on the outside of a helmet make a very concentrated impact point, that if they were to take an impact on all the force gets focused on the same point in the helmet, which makes it much worse than something spread out. Imagine a dart tip, sharp it'll pierce through anything, vs a 2p coin it's spread out and won't pierce through everything. obviously this is n a bigger scale but I think you'll all understand my point here.

The other thing to note is, many manufacturers paint the inside of the polystyrene layer black so you're able to see how over time this cracks with wear and becomes "worn". This will give you a rough guide on how much white you can see coming through - there's no right or wrong when to change a helmet, but it's a bit of guidance as to when it'll be available.

Now the important part.. my personal opinion... Given my mass wealth of knowledge of how helmets are made would I personally change that helmet?
1. It would depend on how long I'd had the helmet, if it was up to 6 months old, I'd seriously struggle to reach back into my pocket again and spend another few hundred pounds on a helmet, so I think that would be partly swaying my decision. If it's a few years old then the answer would be yes I'd definitely change it anyways - it wouldn't be worth the risk for me personally.
2. How much is that helmet worth? If it's a big proportion of what "spare" cash you have then it may make it more difficult but for me I value my head, especially when the thing you're contemplating on could be the thing that means you walk away from an accident of not.
3.Was there an intercom / camera affecting how the impact was taken, if so yes that area of impact was concentrated so yes I'd be more leaning towards replacing.
4. How big was the impact? If it's a low roll then I probably wouldn't but if it was from waist height or above, and made a big "thud" then yes I'd replace the helmet.

I do hope this helps everyone's decision. This is a very well educated guidance and also my personal opinion involved as well. as always, anyone has any questions, I should after 8 years know pretty much everything you'd want to know so I'll do my best to help, but this subject is quite a grey area, with the correct answer being replace the helmet but there are other factors that come into place as well.
I see you're part of the eBay Pure20 offer/campaign. Any added incentives on offer for loyal members who are also twats and put their helmet on the mirror like total fools?

Also whats your opinion on the Neotec 2 Vs C4 Pro. I have a Sena 20s on the C3 Pro now and would continue to use that or buy the added kits.

Also, forgot to add, thank you very much for the insight.

Back
Top Bottom