Dropped helmet = new helmet?

Thats no fun.

Oh alright then

I bought a Simson helmet and 3 weeks later it fell of the shelf in the garage due to some fuckwittery on my part a mere 5 feet but onto the concrete

It cracked which surprised me and made me wonder just how much good it would have done on my head in a crash

Now oddly enough i have not had the courage to wear it since then and it is about to be turned into a plant pot

I have a duty of care - my job puts me in a position where I have to look out for the wellbeing of someone. I have many people come into our shop and try a helmet on that's too big for them, dangerous to go out on the road And we will absolutely refuse to sell them that helmet. They get quite disappointed, but we won't let someone leave our shop with something which we feel is ill fitting. I'd rather lose a sale than doing so. At the end of the day if said person walks out of our building with a helmet which is not safe for them, and they have a fatal accident, that death is on MY hands personally as I knew if wasn't going to be good for them.

It's a similar situation here, if I know a helmet isn't right for someone due to the life it's had I have to inform them of that, if I don't and they go out and die due to this, then again that's on me personally. I don't want that. Now whether you believe I'm a "salesman" or whether you want to believe me as a genuine person informing people about safety that's your choice. All I ask is that someone without knowledge of what a motorcycle helmet does and doesn't do in the event of an accident / imppact doens't answer a question they're not educated on. Just because a persons head is not inside the helmet once it took an impact that doesn't mean the interior is not damaged, please don't advise someone that this is the case - I'm a million percent sure this is untrue. I'll give you the easiest extreme example, if you hit a helmet with a baseball bat with no head inside is the interior going to be damaged... yes of course it is, so please think about what you're advising when it comes to safety especially. This is something I in my job role take extremely seriously and don't want people advising others incorrectly.
First of all as for hitting the helmet with a baseball bat surly the amount of damage inflicted will be in direct porpution to the force, angle and plow point. We started off with a helmet dropping from handlebar hight onto the ground. Of course you are genuine. A genuine person that sells helmets and tries their best to get the best helmet for their customer. JJH

thats true. But if there isnt a head inside it to compress the interior it cant be damaged. JJH

This!

If there's nothing to compress both sides, how does the polyystyrene inner get damaged?

As an aside, have a look at most spills - the head is pretty much the last thing to hit the ground in most, if it's the first, it's the neck that'll go before the skull.....

D

Oh alright then

I bought a Simson helmet and 3 weeks later it fell of the shelf in the garage due to some fuckwittery on my part a mere 5 feet but onto the concrete

It cracked which surprised me and made me wonder just how much good it would have done on my head in a crash

Now oddly enough i have not had the courage to wear it since then and it is about to be turned into a plant pot
From what I hear, that happens a lot chez toi :)

This!

If there's nothing to compress both sides, how does the polyystyrene inner get damaged?

As an aside, have a look at most spills - the head is pretty much the last thing to hit the ground in most, if it's the first, it's the neck that'll go before the skull.....

D
There is a case to answer that helmets, especially big modern flip-fronts are actually more dangerous than no helmet.

There is a case to answer that helmets, especially big modern flip-fronts are actually more dangerous than no helmet.

Have a read of the Arai philosophy on how they build and design

They refuse to do flip front and integral sun visor etc because they claim it compromises the safety

They refuse to do flip front and integral sun visor etc because they claim it compromises the safety

Or they know it costs more to make :augie

This!

D

Because the shell deforms absorbing some energy before contacting and compressing the polystyrene, the shell returns to it's original shape leaving an unseen and unknown compression.
The polystyrene doesn't need to have a mass on the inside to allow that compression on the outside because the helmet has stopped on impact.:blast

You're overthinking Newton's law :D

Or they know it costs more to make :augie

Does it though

Arai seem to be the only helmet maker that dont do a cheap lid ( Maybe Scuberth and to a degree Shoei as well) but i bet AGV and the like sell more and make more profit from their cheap and cheerful ranges than they do from their good stuff

It is possible to buy a cheap helmet with flip front and sun visor so if Arai wanted to I am sure they could and sell loads but they dont

Does it though

Arai seem to be the only helmet maker that dont do a cheap lid ( Maybe Scuberth and to a degree Shoei as well) but i bet AGV and the like sell more and make more profit from their cheap and cheerful ranges than they do from their good stuff

It is possible to buy a cheap helmet with flip front and sun visor so if Arai wanted to I am sure they could and sell loads but they dont

Well they’d better not go on Dragons Den then :p

That's very true, Arai being a very humble Japanese run company definitely want to make money, but for now they still refuse to make a flip front or a helmet with an internal sun visor - they could do this obviously but they're reducing safety which they don't want to do, fair play! Only company so far to make a helmet with internal sun visor which has the same protection is Shoei, they raise the front of the shell slightly, keep the same amount of protection inside as per normal =)

Flip front helmets are still opening on impact, I think there's extremely few on the Sharp testing for example which don't have a 100% pass rate, and even those that do have a 100% pass rate on the chin bar not opening on impact, they only get tested a certain amount of times( not sure the answer to how many) but over 100 tests, I'm sure even those helmets won't have a 100% success rate!

First of all as for hitting the helmet with a baseball bat surly the amount of damage inflicted will be in direct porpution to the force, angle and plow point. We started off with a helmet dropping from handlebar hight onto the ground. Of course you are genuine. A genuine person that sells helmets and tries their best to get the best helmet for their customer. JJH

Obviously my suggestion was an exaggerated version of it, but we were talking about a helmet with a Go Pro mounting which si where it landed on, so that force was put through a small amount of area compared to being spread over a larger surface area. I promise you I woudln't want to sell a helmet for no reason, or which I know is wrong. Obviously I'm here to make as many sales as I can, but I'm not on comission it doesn't make a huge difference to me in the grand scheme of things :)

Obviously my suggestion was an exaggerated version of it, but we were talking about a helmet with a Go Pro mounting which si where it landed on, so that force was put through a small amount of area compared to being spread over a larger surface area. I promise you I woudln't want to sell a helmet for no reason, or which I know is wrong. Obviously I'm here to make as many sales as I can, but I'm not on comission it doesn't make a huge difference to me in the grand scheme of things :)

Thats assuming that the mounting has no give whatsoever and transmits the entire shock to the helmet. JJH

Think about it this way:

Look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself how much your head is worth to you.
If your honest answer is less than the price of a new helmet, then bash on and best of luck to you.
If your honest answer is more than the price of a new helmet, then you have answered your own question and you know what to do.

The same advice applies about repairing punctured tyres.

Ride safe all.

what a load of baloney

Back
Top Bottom