Dropped helmet = new helmet?

Have I ever said to someone their helmet will be OK after it's been dropped. On a professional level no of course not. I wouldn't risk someone elses life and neither should you. Have I dropped a helmet myself from a small height and carried on wearing it myself personally, then the answer is yes. As a professional with more knowledge about helmets than 99.9% on here, I can't even imagine to describe to you how wrong some peoples comments are. The fact that a go pro is on there makes it worse, not better. it puts all the impact focused into one small area into the helmet. I'm going to leave this thread here, as some people don't want to listen. It's always going to be on personal opinion ultimately of course. My advise from what I've built up knowledge of being in the motorcycle industry for 8 year is that yes a helmet "should" be changed if dropped, but I understand why people may not wish to do so, even from a personal perspective, I would not change the helmet sometimes. With this particular example however - I would.
Agreed

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Currently with my old Neotec while I debate helmets.

Will prob swap over to the Schuberth E2 when it comes out as it's based on the C3 Pro and the C4 Pro is out now it shouldn't be too much longer.

Schuberth is definitely more comfortable. Funny how I never thought that when I changed to Schuberth but going back you always notice what's worse.
7fe2b989dfb4d0ce4898e3c6fcfb8807.jpg

I want to know where you bought a brand new Shoei Neotec for £22 as well, if people could sell them for that much, I'd genuine be able to retire by next year, and I'm 26! It's got to be either second hand(which still is cheap... and no one has a clue the life of a second hand helmet, so please never buy one) or fake, I'd hope for neither :)
This will be a similar quality lid.
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-07-12...in-fake-crash-helmets-itv-news-investigation/

Have I ever said to someone their helmet will be OK after it's been dropped. On a professional level no of course not. I wouldn't risk someone elses life and neither should you. Have I dropped a helmet myself from a small height and carried on wearing it myself personally, then the answer is yes. As a professional with more knowledge about helmets than 99.9% on here, I can't even imagine to describe to you how wrong some peoples comments are. The fact that a go pro is on there makes it worse, not better. it puts all the impact focused into one small area into the helmet. I'm going to leave this thread here, as some people don't want to listen. It's always going to be on personal opinion ultimately of course. My advise from what I've built up knowledge of being in the motorcycle industry for 8 year is that yes a helmet "should" be changed if dropped, but I understand why people may not wish to do so, even from a personal perspective, I would not change the helmet sometimes. With this particular example however - I would.

Professional helmet designer/manufacturer, or professional helmet seller?

The mount is more likely to spread the impact than to focus the impact. If it falls onto a perfectly flat surface, the impact area without the mount there is tiny. Onto a convex surface ot any sort of protrusion (grit etc) it'd be REALLy focused. The mount spreads it over a maybe 10 cm2. That might not be enough to prevent any damage, but it's unlikely very to make it worse.

With no weight in the helmet there is nothing to build up any momentum to compress the foam/polystyrene lining, except the lining itself. That would need to be going extremely fast to build up enough impetus to damage itself. To fit anything that is not strong enough to withstand its own momentum would be counter-productive.

I would like to see some scientific tests on used or dropped helmets compared to brand new ones; the same tests they use for certification. I've never seen this (though it might be out there somewhere) and while I can understand the "better safe than sorry" argument, and possibly even the legal liability aspect, it does seem there is a significant commercial incentive for manufacturers to recommend a new one every time you hit anything bigger than a middle-sized wasp.

I wouldn't wear anything attached sticking out of a helmet because of the risk of it snagging on something in the event of a crash. It's that little bit further from the fulcrum of skull on spine and that additional leverage might just make the difference between a sore neck and a snapped one...

Agreed

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Professional helmet designer/manufacturer, or professional helmet seller?

The mount is more likely to spread the impact than to focus the impact. If it falls onto a perfectly flat surface, the impact area without the mount there is tiny. Onto a convex surface ot any sort of protrusion (grit etc) it'd be REALLy focused. The mount spreads it over a maybe 10 cm2. That might not be enough to prevent any damage, but it's unlikely very to make it worse.

With no weight in the helmet there is nothing to build up any momentum to compress the foam/polystyrene lining, except the lining itself. That would need to be going extremely fast to build up enough impetus to damage itself. To fit anything that is not strong enough to withstand its own momentum would be counter-productive.

I would like to see some scientific tests on used or dropped helmets compared to brand new ones; the same tests they use for certification. I've never seen this (though it might be out there somewhere) and while I can understand the "better safe than sorry" argument, and possibly even the legal liability aspect, it does seem there is a significant commercial incentive for manufacturers to recommend a new one every time you hit anything bigger than a middle-sized wasp.

I wouldn't wear anything attached sticking out of a helmet because of the risk of it snagging on something in the event of a crash. It's that little bit further from the fulcrum of skull on spine and that additional leverage might just make the difference between a sore neck and a snapped one...

That is easily readable

That is not

Back
Top Bottom