I found the bottom of the 1150 Adv tank.

luke scott

Reaction score
My fuel gauge was dodgy recently (still is) so I decided to see the miles to a tank figure. I filled a 5 L petrol container and put it in my top box. I commute around 22 miles a day but the bike kept going :nenau. Every day listened to the tank to guess how much was left in it. Yesterday I chickened out and put the 5L into the tank. Then went straight to my local garage and got 24.5 L into it :thumb2 so I got 29.5 L into it. Next week I'll fill the 5L can again and then drive it till it splutters. I've never figured out how many miles I can get from my 31 L tank so here we go . . . . . .

Quite a few years ago, I was spending my days hurtling around the IOM with friends on CBR/GSXR style bikes and laughing at their having to refuel every 2-3 laps/100 miles.

I managed 165 miles from a brimmed tank and had noticed that I was getting low so headed for the petrol station. It literally ran dry as I waited to turn across the road into the forecourt so I had to push it up to the pump and put over £40 in it (just over 32 litres as I’ve drilled the filler neck to get a little extra onboard).

The cashier looked at me in bike gear, and the dolly bird next to me who’d just put £10 in her convertible, and asked her for £40. She looked completely shattered and held up the tenner she was expecting to hand over, so I stepped forward like the true gent I am (might have been different if she was ugly ;) ). The cashier just laughed at her and said she should be ashamed to be outfilled by a biker

On that day, it was 165, but you don’t get good mpg when you’re caning the shit out of it...

Usually, I get 10 miles/litre but my GS has a powercommander with a different fuelling map. Dynojet used it as a testbed when the PC came out, and left the performance map on when they asked me to test it. They’d seen my IOM video.

So from full to empty Paul what average number of miles do you get ?

On that day, it was 165, but you don’t get good mpg when you’re caning the shit out of it...

Usually, I get 10 miles/litre but my GS has a powercommander with a different fuelling map. Dynojet used it as a testbed when the PC came out, and left the performance map on when they asked me to test it. They’d seen my IOM video.

And that's still an awesome video Paul :)

That the first one. There was another a few years later, too. Thanks

I had to turn it off, I couldn't watch. It actually made me sweat with fear after you overtook that white car. Sorry, I am officialy a wimp, woos and coward. I don't care, I know realise I don't actually ride a bike, I just sit on one and steer it.

That’s a class demonstration of 1150GS riding. Would love to hear what the riders of all the ‘faster’ sports bikes said in their helmets as you left them in your wake. Class.

Funny you should ask that...

Last year I was out early (4:30) in the morning with Jim Bryan and decided to do another lap before the hotel served breakfast.

I was passed in Ramsey by 2 guys on a GSXR750 and a Panigale and had fun chasing them up onto the Mountain, but they left me for dead when we got to the Mountain Mile. As we got to the top, they both slowed down for the twisties, so I caught them and passed the Panigale round the outside at Mountain Box (where the Golf was on the video). He tucked in behind me and stayed there as I passed his mate and we headed over the rest of the road to the Creg, where we both stopped at the temporary lights.

He was buzzing!! He rolled alongside, tapped me on the leg and said it was a the best ride he’d ever had and ‘how the f*** did I go that fast on a bike like that’. He wanted to know what the bike was, bought me a coffee so he could take pictures and generally had a ball.

That’s a class demonstration of 1150GS riding. Would love to hear what the riders of all the ‘faster’ sports bikes said in their helmets as you left them in your wake. Class.

I remember a ride like that, with Jim, through t'Dales one time. Awesome. I expect the dick that overtook you early on is probably now dead, given his penchant for cutting corners into the face of oncoming traffic.

There was a lot written about this video at the time, but to highlight the main points:
- The guy on the Honda owned the camcorder (remember those..?) and was a club racer at the time. He wanted some footage, but hadn’t reckoned in my GS intimidating him the way it did and took some serious ribbing when we showed the footage at the hotel that night.
- The view from the camera was very different from the rider POV and any time I turn across the centreline, I could see through the corner or far enough ahead to judge it was safe.

So back on topic :augie. It appears that I get between 250 miles and 290 miles on 30.5L (I've not had the balls the run it dry). My driving is all commute in a city with a good dose of throttle where possible. I guess I'd get 300 miles on full tank on a long journey.

So back on topic :augie. It appears that I get between 250 miles and 290 miles on 30.5L (I've not had the balls the run it dry). My driving is all commute in a city with a good dose of throttle where possible. I guess I'd get 300 miles on full tank on a long journey.

GSA yes?

That's pretty good.

I've modded the filler cap on my Rockster, the holes are bit higher than last time, and now I'm getting to the reserve light at about 180miles, and I know that reserve is about 45 miles, so I've got a 225 mile total range (not riding slowly either) - I've not tested that to the end though.... will do so sometime. :D

Back
Top Bottom