Nav5 - delete old routes so i can't 'import' them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geekay

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Im sure I've read this on this forum before - but I'm damned if i can find it!

I've transferred routes from basecamp to nav5 but some have gone a bit wrong

Ive transferred to device but then deleted them from route planner - but if i then go into trip planner i can still 'import' these same old routes

how do you delete them fully from the nav5?

Its something to do with deleting temp.gpx - but there isn't one of those files where i'd expect it?

any clues?

Leaving in the morning and getting a bit stressed!

thanks,

Graham

Scroll down to 12:

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=yMf8AXXdMX27CpCfDe8GRA

==========

Where are your routes? Within the device’s internal memory? On an SD card?

Have you tried deleting the routes and then connecting the device to your home computer? It certainly used to be that routes were not deleted until a device was connected to a PC, to safeguard against accidentally deleting routes whilst out and about.

Have you tried using your PC to delete the routes?

If you are using a Mac, have you emptied the trash, just on the off chance it is leaving a ghost file behind?

Still stuck and tomorrow’s departure is fast approaching? OK, let’s try a crude workaround.

I assume you have created new routes to replace the ones on your device that are somehow no good? If so and if you can’t find a way to delete the crap routes before tomorrow, do not panic.

Go into your device and rename the duff routes to something like crap 1, crap 2, crap 3 etc. The Nav V also works on a calendar basis, where you can ascribe a date to each route. Re-date then to say 31 December 2018, which will shove them way down the calendar.

Now send your correct holiday routes to your device, dating them properly. They should then appear in date / time order on your device.

Then sort out the rest of the pickle when you get back.

This from the World Wide Web:

I'm using a Nav V with a micro SD card and a Windows 7 Pro laptop.

Whenever I load new routes and waypoints (or trips and places) I always opt to put them onto the card rather than the internal memory of the GPS. (So as not to bog down the operation of the GPS with too much storage.) In this configuration, every time that I import new trips or places, the GPS offers up everything that is on the SD card for importation, even though I had tried to "delete" the historical data. It turns out there are two lists: a list of imported data + a list of data that is available for importation. The former list is on the GPS. The latter list (in my configuration, GPS + SD card) is on the SD card. The reason that this distinction is important is that every time you need to import a new route or waypoint, the GPS accesses the SD card and offers up every .gpx file on the SD card, and you end up having to page through perhaps dozens of historical files to get to the new file(s) you're looking for.

Here's the cure that worked for me. Plug the Nav V into the laptop USB port. When the Autoplay window pops up, indicating that the computer acknowledges the device connection, select "Open Device to View Files using Windows Explorer." This will bring up a new window depicting 'internal storage' and 'memory card." Click on Memory Card and then double-click on 'Garmin file folder.' Next, double-click on 'GPX file folder.' That should give you the list of all Routes and Waypoints that are on the SD card. To delete old data that you do not want on your "import" list, right click on those files and select "delete." Those files that are deleted will not be presented for importation the next time you want to add new routes and waypoints to your Nav V.

If you ever need the deleted files again, you can simply resend them to the GPS/SD card from Basecamp or whatever alternative mapping program you use.

This from another:

I have transferred several routes using BaseCamp onto the Navigator V, which I no longer need. Although I delete the routes in the device, they reappear after resetting. How can I permanently delete the routes?

When transferring using BaseCamp, routes and favourites are permanently saved on the device. If you want to permanently and irreversibly delete all routes and favourites from the Navigator, first do this in the device by deleting routes and favourites in the corresponding menus. Then connect the device to a computer and delete all files in the subfolder /GPX where routes and favourites are stored.

ah wapping - thank you - using a Mac and I've not emptied the trash - it effectively leaves a file doesn't it...

try again....

brilliant - all sorted!

all routes transferred now - the mileage checks out with the basecamp mileage, to within one mile for each route. The timing is slightly different - i.e if basecamp thinks a route has 4hrs 45 of riding, the nav thinks it might be 4hrs35 for example, but i think as long as the mileage is the same and it looks vaguely the same on the "map view" then it probably is.

think im sorted now - thanks again

g

If I read your solution correctly, you:

Connected the device to your Mac

Deleted the duff routes via the Mac

Emptied the Mac’s trash can

Routes had gone from the device

New replacement routes loaded

Have a great holiday

PS Having a slight estimated time discrepancy between the BaseCamp route and that displayed on the device is not unusual. Providing the two routes looks pretty much the same, shape and mileage wise, you are (99 times out of 100) good to go.

Yes you are spot on. I had previously deleted the gpx files but hadn’t emptied the trash. When I did that and unplugged the nav5 there was nothing left to import.

I then reconnected and tried again.

The first time round one of my routes - Davos to Bormio - had changed into some epic 11hr of riding journey?!

I had a fiddle with the transfer options and it worked the second time of transferring / importing.

Thanks also for the comfort on the timing being out a little. The mileages are all pretty much perfect so I think I’m good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom