A9 avoidance advice

tjmouse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need to get from Blair Athol (Pitlochry) to Carlisle on Saturday. Any good routes I should be picking up especially to skip the A9?

Also does anyone know if the average speed cameras on the A9 are front facing?

I need to get from Blair Athol (Pitlochry) to Carlisle on Saturday. Any good routes I should be picking up especially to skip the A9?

Also does anyone know if the average speed cameras on the A9 are front facing?

Cameras are all front facing so they won't delay your progress.

As long as you don't overshoot to near to Inverness (around Moy IIRC), when there's a couple of miles of them

As he's heading south from Pitlochry if he reaches the rear facing cameras at the Slochd then his navigational skills (aka Sat Nav) must be pure pish!

Or Blair Atholl, Pitlochry, Bridge of Cally, Blairgowrie, Scone, dualler down to bridge and across to Carlisle.

As he's heading south from Pitlochry if he reaches the rear facing cameras at the Slochd then his navigational skills (aka Sat Nav) must be pure pish!

That would be a little embarrassing!

Here ya go

Cheers

Swapped the A74 for the A7 (skirting under Edin with a stop at the Kelpies) in the hope of a more interesting run down but that should do the trick of not putting me to sleep on the way down

Cheers

Swapped the A74 for the A7 (skirting under Edin with a stop at the Kelpies) in the hope of a more interesting run down but that should do the trick of not putting me to sleep on the way down

Great choice! A7 from Carlisle upto Hawick is brilliant....and I've never seen the filth along there either...

Cheers

Beat me to it.

Loads of good roads from the Edinburgh direction to Carlisle. The A701 between Moffat and Broughton (where I usually turn off) is one of my top favourites.

In fact, I live near the Kelpies and often run straight over the top via Whitburn, Breich X Roads, Forth, Carnwath, Libberton, Broughton and on to Moffat.

ps - the Edinburgh by-pass is a PITA most days.

Thanks for the tips all was a much more interesting ride than A9 and motorway. A7 was fun although nothing beers the A86 on a sunny day for me so far! (Even with a wide load killing half the journey!!!) will try and write up a ride report when I’m back (boring motorway slog home tomorrow)

Back
Top Bottom