Honda CRF250L Rally

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is this a bad bike?

Seems people prefer the standard CRF250L but not the Rally.

I quite like the Rally idea having the bigger fuel tank.

Any views or opinions?

Thinking of getting one to do more with the TRF

Heavy for a 250

Lots to damage in a drop

Standard 250L will be more rugged - still slow though

KLX250s is lighter and has better suspension

On paper they both seem OK, I reckon in reality, either an older KTM or spending a bit more on one would be wiser...40-50kg lighter FFS :eek:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...M&model=FREERIDE&advert-type=standard-listing

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...ce-desc&cc-to=300&radius=1500&make=KTM&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...dvertising-location=at_bikes&cc-to=300&page=2

I'm basing this on the fact that you've done a bit of greenlaning now, done some (expensive) courses with Honda and BMW and it still hasn't put you off, so why go into it half-cocked with a mediocre bike that would do 'OK' when you can spend a bit more on a pukka bike and take it forwards properly. :thumb

On paper they both seem OK, I reckon in reality, either an older KTM or spending a bit more on one would be wiser...40-50kg lighter FFS :eek:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...M&model=FREERIDE&advert-type=standard-listing

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...ce-desc&cc-to=300&radius=1500&make=KTM&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...dvertising-location=at_bikes&cc-to=300&page=2

I'm basing this on the fact that you've done a bit of greenlaning now, done some (expensive) courses with Honda and BMW and it still hasn't put you off, so why go into it half-cocked with a mediocre bike that would do 'OK' when you can spend a bit more on a pukka bike and take it forwards properly. :thumb

Yep correct,

So I should be looking at the KTM then?

Don't mind some good advice..... :)

Hey, I've never had a small trail bike but spent a day on KTMs last summer and knew immediately the difference that 40kg makes. For the odd bimble down a green lane, the CRF would be fine. If you properly took to it and popped it on a trailer and headed off to Mid Wales, KTM or its ilk all the way

took one for a test ride and ended up buying a 640 adventure ??? the rally was just tooo small and tooo gutless

FWIW quite a few of my TRF group (including me) have gone for either the Husky FE350 or KTM 350 EXC. They're a good blend of weight and power with a pretty bullet proof engine and seem to work well for both novices and more experienced riders. Only downside is they're not that cheap (but deals can be had).

A couple of folk have gone down the 300 two stroke route, but they are more experienced riders.

Don't think you'd go far wrong with a 350 and there's also plenty of bling available to keep you happy ;) :D

Not bad but not good either. The WR250R is a far better bike if you're in the market for a long service interval dual sport

Not bad but not good either. The WR250R is a far better bike if you're in the market for a long service interval dual sport

Pretty sure it's not a model that is (officially) imported to the UK.

I had one but soon sold it they’re sooooo slow but maybe ok if just starting out I suppose. I don’t like having to thrash something and still be hardly moving. The reliability ruggedness and price are the positives .

Pretty sure it's not a model that is (officially) imported to the UK.

I really like mine. They been talking about discontinuing it for a couple years now but it keeps coming back. Mandatory ABS will finally get it I suppose

ASe9ufBEw13fYNr9arZcYTgVWL7wCkEaCyCP7253OGa7UqqFbCnWpXInlfDMnHbnNmqBbWC9KxOEXdEWvSXzTDzrSwpHmG-SXE4PQepYoE-DtrHrrlDysNb_VHgiSYCw3BJ0iZNrRDBgXour2J5FDABbYdueUvdVh67scPYKNjhh7wo-65wOmEpidEAtPo1lLX7MHWUdIayT3EfS9pRspv76UOLk6AiMkMaNjb8VaKfWYm-5SiN2ii6pWJ8ZXTgN2W3YNA9P0D8Db5Nvm_ChQI1QZLnKyLjRj46pohcZiOtydRsAtnkdfng8x1-2lJYa-tpWzXcHyhru_yIsM753G_moDuHxxFL_aF1p5dmXf7exzRPNaXOxP6YrHOJ6jzYwyVUu6YeTz9YU4q9AhCQGEmSAUm870DlXpdKw6sU72NdantB6PFt_jIR5yiJcF3SjWnFmpyR5wml99D14KkPLc-haVZ9NDAeUMYDBZk4fsE0XbgeQGalwob7KVyGKXjz0NE6U7pnVKfzzbktbhR36J3q7uO3nZdFaK70QubKSIeq5X5zUOC4LH1d2tqAiZv9a1voMHmmeiiv9j3WXGYZ44FkK30_-mzPMhDYMsVqeUYgJpnkXmdMgLPhjb_HnSvKF1LcHpM1gdvhYCbpxvNOhWEAdjFL1O4Hm=w2044-h1532-no

I had a new crf250l when they came out (and £3k otr !) i did offroad it and it was heavy 'ish , got proper tyres on it and it did well apart from ground clearance which is not on a par with "proper" offroad machines, the benifits are price, reliability, no 4hr oil changes, you can ride to where ever , offroad and ride home, i would not recommend doing distance on an enduro bike as they do not take kindly to long distance or constant high revs and nor will your arse like it.
Few mods and the CRF L is quite capable of tackling trails, road, communte but taken in context as they are only 27'ish bhp and flat as a witches tit but a bit of jiggery with cogs should fix a bit of that.

Ahhhh.... was out all day yesterday doing a 'to the coast' run with some off-roading buddies. Was out for 12 hours.

Had an amazing time, really good fun and did some brilliant trails (all known to the TRF) and were legal.

The HAT DCT did brilliantly.... unlike some others in the group.

1) R1250 BMW GS, hit a rock so hard it deflated the front tyre. Rim buckled and had to keep refilling with air.
2) F800 GS, punctured rear tire on slate shale, tore a hole in the sidewall and bike had to be recovered (after a hair raising 3 mile sideways ride to the main road with flat rear tyre)
3) KTM 1090 Adventure, smashed side stand switch and would stall when put into gear. Had to be recovered, as we just couldn't repair it.
4) Africa Twin DCT, smashed throttle side barkbusters and bent handguard frame. Throttle kept sticking open.... so guard had to be removed. (Possible broken finger also).

But my Africa Twin got me through all that (even through I dropped it 4 times in deep ruts), and got me home safe.... after about 300 miles roundtrip.

Really needed that 1000cc power on the way home for overtakes..... think I'll stick with my HAT :augie:comfort:cool:

Fookin EPIC day, even if I was covered from head to toe in sheep and cow piss :D

Attachments

• Hat1.jpg
    Hat1.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 259

Back
Top Bottom