I have a floppy gear lever

Deleted account 210604001

Reaction score
I was hoping to go for a pleasant ride down to Stamford and back and I get about 10 miles from home and the gear lever loses all feeling and just flaps up and down. I stop and waggle it a little, then work out I can get 3rd and 4th. I consider either ringing up the AA and sweating for an hour in leathers (don't fancy this option), or just trying to getting home with 3rd and 4th.

Much clutch slipping later Im moving and manage to get home. If I put the bike on a stand and rock the back wheel I can feel my way through the gearbox waggling the gearstick and pushing the back wheel against the tension (without the tension on the back wheel the lever just flaps doing nothing).

2014 Ducati 899 with 31K miles.

Gearbox return spring ? This is my non-mechanical diagnosis, just hoping its not something more involved ! (Gearbox return spring will be a big enough job to strip down and gain access, and beyond my chimp like capabilities). Any other thoughts ?

Booked into the dealer (not warranty) but as you would expect they are rammed for a couple of weeks. I always use italia moto in Lincoln as it's where I purchased the bike from, but the Nottingham Ducati dealer is too near to ignore (I can ride it there), so have booked it in with them. Think I will try the V4 while Im there if they have a demo :thumb2 .

RBW.

Just had mine in this week for 22,500 miles service and fitting a new ( standard) set of silencers
The original silencer heatshields had come loose and started rattling a while ago, it also blew out some fibre matting that was between the heat shield and the silencer body, presumably to dampen noise / vibration.
I think the internal baffles had disintegrated as well, cos it was getting loud, as in REALLY LOUD!!!
It’s slightly better noise wise now,.... doesn’t make small children’s noses bleed as I pass by now :eek::eek::eek:

Good luck with getting yours sorted as I’m using your bike as a yardstick for reliability as you have slightly more miles on than me I believe??
Was offered a good p/ex price on mine against a V4s Corse ( race bike colours) bike looked stunning, but waaay too much for what I want, I’d be petrified of dropping £26,000 worth of bike :(

What really surprised me though was when I got an insurance quote for it, cheapest one that came back..........£1,457 !!!!

Last edited:
I was hoping to go for a pleasant ride down to Stamford and back and I get about 10 miles from home and the gear lever loses all feeling and just flaps up and down. I stop and waggle it a little, then work out I can get 3rd and 4th. I consider either ringing up the AA and sweating for an hour in leathers (don't fancy this option), or just trying to getting home with 3rd and 4th.

Much clutch slipping later Im moving and manage to get home. If I put the bike on a stand and rock the back wheel I can feel my way through the gearbox waggling the gearstick and pushing the back wheel against the tension (without the tension on the back wheel the lever just flaps doing nothing).

2014 Ducati 899 with 31K miles.

Gearbox return spring ? This is my non-mechanical diagnosis, just hoping its not something more involved ! (Gearbox return spring will be a big enough job to strip down and gain access, and beyond my chimp like capabilities). Any other thoughts ?

Booked into the dealer (not warranty) but as you would expect they are rammed for a couple of weeks. I always use italia moto in Lincoln as it's where I purchased the bike from, but the Nottingham Ducati dealer is too near to ignore (I can ride it there), so have booked it in with them. Think I will try the V4 while Im there if they have a demo :thumb2 .

RBW.

Could this be related

https://www.899panigale.org/forum/ducati-899-troubleshooting/1633-check-your-shifter-screws.html

Just had mine in this week for 22,500 miles service and fitting a new ( standard) set of silencers
The original silencer heatshields had come loose and started rattling a while ago, it also blew out some fibre matting that was between the heat shield and the silencer body, presumably to dampen noise / vibration.
I think the internal baffles had disintegrated as well, cos it was getting loud, as in REALLY LOUD!!!
It’s slightly better noise wise now,.... doesn’t make small children’s noses bleed as I pass by now :eek::eek::eek:

Good luck with getting yours sorted as I’m using your bike as a yardstick for reliability as you have slightly more miles on than me I believe??
Was offered a good p/ex price on mine against a V4s Corse ( race bike colours) bike looked stunning, but waaay too much for what I want, I’d be petrified of dropping £26,000 worth of bike :(

What really surprised me though was when I got an insurance quote for it, cheapest one that came back..........£1,457 !!!!

Hey Poucher, yes I had the heatshield work loose as well which had to be fixed. I've got 31K on it now, and it's the best bike I've owned by some margin, I did look at the V4 but discounted it on Insurance as you have mentioned, if you go for the non-S which brings it under 20K the insurance drops but its still expensive. I assume you have been through one valve clearance service as well ? I had my second done at the end of last year so keen to get my monies worth from that !

I can't decide whether to change or not if I'm honest, kinda looking forward to the new Panigale V2 new due (supposedly) next year. I may still try a demo V4.

Bike booked into Ducati Beeston on the 15th, so will see what that brings.

RBW.

Good news, it was the return spring that has broken, the missing bit has been located and best of all no evident additional damage. :friday

The spring is now on order, so once thats arrived and re-fitted it should be good to go. :thumb2

I asked how many hours its likely to be (given the 899 is a masterpiece in packaging - valve clearance service is 11 hrs labour set by Ducati if memory serves and most of this is pulling the bike apart/putting it together) and it's likely to just be a couple of hours.

Happy with that, and can't wait to get it back.

RBW.

Good news, it was the return spring that has broken, the missing bit has been located and best of all no evident additional damage. :friday

The spring is now on order, so once thats arrived and re-fitted it should be good to go. :thumb2

I asked how many hours its likely to be (given the 899 is a masterpiece in packaging - valve clearance service is 11 hrs labour set by Ducati if memory serves and most of this is pulling the bike apart/putting it together) and it's likely to just be a couple of hours.

Happy with that, and can't wait to get it back.

RBW.

Good news hope it gets you through the summer............:hide:hide

Happy days , you keeping it now ?

Not sure, I demo'd a V4 but whilst it was amazing, at legal speeds it didn't do anything different to the 899. The 899 is just a brilliant package (to me), and it's probably not worth a huge amount due to mileage.

RBW.

Not sure, I demo'd a V4 but whilst it was amazing, at legal speeds it didn't do anything different to the 899. The 899 is just a brilliant package (to me), and it's probably not worth a huge amount due to mileage.

RBW.

Same feeling with the GS1250 and the 1200 totally understand your logic, better to save the money for a rainy day....:thumb2

Got the 899 back today, all sorted and fantastic service from Ducati Beeston and what I thought was a super reasonable price too :thumb2 .

Currently I'm thinking I'll see how the 899 does over the summer, then look at the new V2 (959 replacement) due out at the end of the year. I may also be getting a 2020 Triumph Tiger 900 as well after my wonderful 'Triumph Adventure Experience'. Still looking for a small trail bike 250 to 400cc to practice my new found skills with the local TRF and that will be my winter bike.

RBW.

Happiness is.... having the bike back in my garage :thumb2

48387553401_d3b46debb0_z.jpg

About 1500 miles over the past two weeks of holiday have proved the Ducati to be as reliable as ever.. but....

It was very dirty (by my standards) so pressure washed it on Saturday evening, then it was throwing an 'engine error' message and only running on one cylinder. Assumed it was moisture and left it until the following day, started fine and got about 3 miles and then it conked out with an engine warning light again. I had to get recovered by the AA yesterday, he stripped it down, tank off and checked most connectors with no sigh of moisture. So bike recovered home, checked this morning and the error has disappeared (I hate intermittent issues).

Been out for a very short ride today (within pushing distance of home) and all seems fine, just not sure if I put it down to moisture or an impending failure (AA man reckoned a coil was out).

Ho hum..

B@astard thing.

RBW.

About 1500 miles over the past two weeks of holiday have proved the Ducati to be as reliable as ever.. but....

It was very dirty (by my standards) so pressure washed it on Saturday evening, then it was throwing an 'engine error' message and only running on one cylinder. Assumed it was moisture and left it until the following day, started fine and got about 3 miles and then it conked out with an engine warning light again. I had to get recovered by the AA yesterday, he stripped it down, tank off and checked most connectors with no sigh of moisture. So bike recovered home, checked this morning and the error has disappeared (I hate intermittent issues).

Been out for a very short ride today (within pushing distance of home) and all seems fine, just not sure if I put it down to moisture or an impending failure (AA man reckoned a coil was out).

Ho hum..

B@astard thing.

RBW.

I wonder what comes after the watch? ;)
Maybe stop pressure washing the electrics :)

Back
Top Bottom