Burnley to Buxton, any recommendations?

Simon_100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As it says in the title really. I have a journey from Kirkby Lonsdale to Shrewsbury via a very flexible lunch date at Leek in October and want to make a great day of it but don't know the area at all at all - and this is the bit that looks confusing.

Thanks in advance guys.

Regs

Simon

Burnley - Todmorden - Hebden Bridge - Mytholmroyd - B road south - then A58 towards Ripponden - A672 towards Manchester & under M62 at J22 on towards Denshaw, Delph, Uppermill and Greenfield - A635 over Saddleworth Moor to Holmfirth - A6072 over Holme Moss and a B road to Glossop - A57 Snake Pass to Hathersage - Castleton - the B roads south thru Tideswell towards Buxton.

Burnley - Todmorden - Hebden Bridge - Mytholmroyd - B road south - then A58 towards Ripponden - A672 towards Manchester & under M62 at J22 on towards Denshaw, Delph, Uppermill and Greenfield - A635 over Saddleworth Moor to Holmfirth - A6072 over Holme Moss and a B road to Glossop - A57 Snake Pass to Hathersage - Castleton - the B roads south thru Tideswell towards Buxton.

Pretty good. No need to touch Hathersage or Castleton though. Turn right at or before Bamford then left through Bradwell and on towards Tideswell. You can turn right just before Tideswell at the T junction and follow the road through to Buxton or go through Tideswell and on up to the A6.

Great route if you have plenty of time, there are options to cut short on the day weather/time depending.

I organised a ride from Edale to Kirk Yetholm a few years back more or less following the Pennine Way route. Its a bit fiddly down at the south end and the route I suggested is more or less what we did in reverse to get up to the Yorkshire Dales. There are various little cut offs using minor roads that mean you don't have to go into Ripponden or Holmfirth (although Holmfirth is worth a look). If the OP looks at a map he will see them. The Denshaw to Delph and Greenfield bit is the only extended bit of urban riding and its not too bad or long, plus Uppermill and Delph are nice enough towns - in a Northern Way. The alternative is to go through Huddersfield which is more urban and more difficult to Navigate.

Also to the OP if you don't have to go the Burnley from Kirkby Lonsdale then don't. Take the Skipton Old Road from Skipton towards Colne (aim for a village called Carleton in Craven from the A59 or Skipton town centre). Go up over the moors on a nice fast open quiet road but don't quite reach Colne - take a left following signs for Wycoller Country Park (I think its signed from Skipton old Road). After a staggered junction you should be on the minor road heading towards Haworth (Of Bronte fame). Great road, challenging to ride quick though. Then head towards Hebden Bridge (again more moorland roads) and follow the rest of the route. You can cut off Haworth but its worth a look if you have time for the Bronte Heritage and the quaint steep cobbled old high street - you have to park and walk.

This is all fantastic guys, many thanks! A long morning awaits me on Basecamp! :)

Regs

Simon

This is all fantastic guys, many thanks! A long morning awaits me on Basecamp! :)

Regs

Simon

Correct it will take you all day on base camp....pop it in to the myroute app, avoid motorways in the settings and it will be done in ten mins

Thanks once again guys. And for the software recommendations but I use four already and can't be doing wit lerning yest another ...

So Basecamp it is, with all its faults, and weather permitting I now have a plan:

screen-shot-2019-07-01-at-17.17.32.png

Now I have to admit it's a car trip out of Liverpool airport with just the one day for fun - I've had a lot of luck over the years with upgrades so ... in any event I'm looking forward to ragging a hie car instead of nurturing my old ladies, two bikes, two cars, here in Spain ...

If ever yo want a great trip here just ask away! :) Now all I need is recommendations for chip butties, greasy-spoon breakfasts, etc. :)

Regs

Simon

Hi Simon,

Its not quite clear to me from the map, but it looks like you plan to do Long Hill (A5004) to get into Buxton. I learnt to motorcycle around their some years back so I would recommend Turning off the A6 at Disley on to the Old buxton Road and Right onto Higher lane to join the B5740. Take a left turn after the sadly defunct highwayman Pub into the hills and drop down into the Goyt Valley. From there you can ride up to the Cat and Fiddle. Which way you turn from there is up to you. They are minor roads, but great fun.

Have a good trip.

Path.

Hi Simon,

Its not quite clear to me from the map, but it looks like you plan to do Long Hill (A5004) to get into Buxton. I learnt to motorcycle around their some years back so I would recommend Turning off the A6 at Disley on to the Old buxton Road and Right onto Higher lane to join the B5740. Take a left turn after the sadly defunct highwayman Pub into the hills and drop down into the Goyt Valley. From there you can ride up to the Cat and Fiddle. Which way you turn from there is up to you. They are minor roads, but great fun.

Have a good trip.

Path.

Ace! Cat and Fiddle any good?

Once upon a time, but traffic calmed to death. I not as familiar with the Youlgreave Road, but that is the direction you want to go. So your choice. The trick used to be that you stop in the car park of the C&F until you see a gap in the traffic. Then you wait until the next vehicle is nearly upon you and then take off into the gap. That gives you the best piece of free road to enjoy the bends. I am sure others have done this more recently than I so I suggest they advise on the best way to ride the road.

Regards,

Path.

Back
Top Bottom