Petrol Tank Cleaning Required

ecker32

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a 1998 Honda VFR 800 Fi. The good bit is that it only has 1700 miles on the clock (!) and is cosmetically mint, as you would expect. The bad bit is that it has been sitting in the corner of someones garage for 18 years, with fuel still in the tank.

The fuel has clearly turned to something horrible (I can't get the smell out of my garage!) and left the sticky black residue in the tank. I have managed to clean the fuel pump and sender units by soaking them in detergent. The tank however poses more of an issue. I can soak it in detergent (which I plan to do overnight) but don't think I will get it as clean as I would like.

Does anyone know of a company who can clean the inside of the tank? It won't need lining, and I don't want to damage the paintwork.

Any suggestions gratefully received!! :bounce1

Cheers,

Dave.

Try the usual:
Slip into the local boneyard and take a few handfuls of marble stones off someones grave. Pour gently into tank, and swill round inside for 30 mins or so. The inside of the tank should now be scoured clean.
Myke

TSP & white vinegar. If you use marbles/ ball bearings or whatever don't go too mad - nothing with sharp edges that will damage the inner tank coating unduly.

TSP is available from Amazon ............. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intralabs-...26&hvtargid=pla-421700037331&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Failing that, some say a radiator repair shop would probably be able to pressure wash & steam clean it for you - never tried it personally.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Tank currently soaking in a detergent solution which seems to be doing the trick. i'm reluctant to put stones or anything too hard / sharp in the tank for fear of damage...

Cheers,

Dave.

TSP & white vinegar. If you use marbles/ ball bearings or whatever don't go too mad - nothing with sharp edges that will damage the inner tank coating unduly.

TSP is available from Amazon ............. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intralabs-...26&hvtargid=pla-421700037331&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Failing that, some say a radiator repair shop would probably be able to pressure wash & steam clean it for you - never tried it personally.

All of the above or full fat Coke :thumb2

Andres

Back
Top Bottom