2012 1200 GSA hexhead screen turbulence

Pauly S

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Today i went out for a spin to check out a mod i made with the std GSA screen. Ive put two rubber tap washers between the upper bracketry and the screen mounts. It seems a fair bit better, a fair amount of turbulence has gone. 70mph cough cough and a tad..visor up ! its pushed up the screen forward by about 3mm. im going to have a look to see if there is any other way to nudge it forward more.
There just seems to be a lack of aftermarket screens around for this bike.Let alone anybody who sells them and is willing to let me try one out.

I was having same trouble with turbulence, I was told to go lower with screen and let helmet do its job. So I ditched the wind deflector and went down 3 notches from top setting. Works perfect for me. May be worth a quick try before laying out good money on a screen you may not need.

Remove the screen, go for a ride, you'll be amazed how lovely smooth airflow is to ride in. OK, 80+ on the motorway takes a little getting used too but everything else is lovely, I've not ridden with a screen for years and nearly got rid of my GSA about 10 years ago due to buffeting before a "I wonder if..." moment solved the issue, had 8 in a row and the first thing I do is remove the screen.
Not just a BMW thing, my old KTM 990 Adv was exactly the same.

Makes you wonder why they bother to aerodynamically test crash helmet designs in a wind tunnel and then stick the rider behind a barn door made of perspex.:blast

Yeah i agree with that Adam.Ive found a way of kicking the whole cockpit forward a bit by putting a couple of penny washers under the rear bolts that hold it on . Ive just removed the centre stand for powder coat, so when thats done and back on , ill strip it, add some washers to the rear bolts and report back.but the improvements today were a good leap forward, and no expensive screen to buy.Another idea was to get some plastic strip in a taper shape and use those,ive some plastic door stops i may chop up and drill and wedge in there.

If you cut the little leg of the plastic part, No.8, you can move the screen one more notch higher.
Or get a pair from a standard GS which don't have that leg.
Screenshot-20190701-093112.png
[/IMG]

OoH Mr Rodkiss, you have made my day, ill shoot down and order and pair and see how we fair! cheers mate !

If you cut the little leg of the plastic part, No.8, you can move the screen one more notch higher.
Or get a pair from a standard GS which don't have that leg.
Screenshot-20190701-093112.png
[/IMG]

I believe they call this the “clit” removal :eek::rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom