Mongolia - Fly Drive

Day 12

Well, today is the day we’ve been looking forward to – we’re finally going to see this amazing waterfall that Frank has been going on and on about. After a quick breakfast we pack up and head over to it – it’s nearby.

“Are you sure this is it, Frank?” We are somewhat underwhelmed. Mongolia has had a milder winter than usual with much less snow and consequently the water levels are lower. This has been to our advantage in making the river crossings manageable but it seriously diminishes the impact of the waterfall.

i-dbgp7NS-X3.jpg

As this is a touristy area there is 4G coverage and I send a pic home. My wife’s comment is apt – “should’ve gone to Specsavers”.

Ah well, it mightn’t compare with Victoria Falls but we’re glad we came to have a look.

My bike is the older of the three and there are some differences, one being a smaller tank. We’re gone about a half an hour further when I get the signals that I’m about to run out of fuel. Not to worry, I’ll just switch it onto reserve. I do this and a minute later come to a stop. The reserve isn’t working and I’ve run out. Luckily I have some petrol in the cannister for my stove and put this in the tank. Pat also gives me the contents of his cannister and we continue towards the next village with fingers and toes crossed.

Then I see a local guy on a bike coming in our direction and as we draw near I can see that he has a container of petrol strapped to the back. I wave vigorously and he stops. Having developed a high degree of fluency in sign language at this stage I explain that I need petrol and ask if he would sell me his spare supply. He’s happy with this and indicates the price using the method we have become familiar with – two flashes of ten fingers indicating a price of 20,000 Tugriks (MNT), a shade under €7. I’m happy with this and top my bike up with half of it. Frank says he’s ok so I put the other half into Pat’s tank.

i-qWsWQ3J-X3.png

We continue on our way but haven’t gone far when Frank discovers that he has got a puncture in his rear tyre. The tools are out in a flash and Frank has the wheel off and the tube out of the tyre in no time. The tiny hole is found and prepared for the adhesive only to discover that the adhesive is hard. Not to worry, we had bought a new tube following the previous puncture after we had used the one we got from Cheke. Turns out the tube itself was the right size but the valve stem was way too big to go through the hole in the rim. We toyed with the idea of trimming the valve stem to fit but decided not to in case it compromised the valve. As far as we can see there are only two possible solutions – get a new puncture repair kit or at least some adhesive or get the hole in the rim drilled out. So we put the wheel onto the back of my bike and as we had passed a shop about a half an hour ago I set off in the direction we have just come from

i-9rLCrzF-X3.png

Unfortunately the shop hasn’t any puncture kits but the lady calls her husband who is working on a trailer out back and I explain my problem. He gets it straight away and goes to get his drill. He drills out the hole in the rim and the valve stem is now fitting perfectly.

i-CKTmRMm-X3.jpg

His wife had told him that I was looking for a puncture kit so he calls a friend who arrives and offers me a good kit for 5k MNT. Yes, please! I give the husband a few bob too and he’s delighted.

The lads are busy when I return

i-mgMfQkt-X3.jpg

i-xHnJWkQ-X3.jpg

Everything is reassembled and we are on our way again. They say things happen in threes and sure enough we’ve only gone another little bit when Pat has a fall and snaps off the clutch lever. He exchanges the brake lever for the stump of the clutch lever and reckons he’ll make it to the next town with just a back brake. He’ll be OK, the brakes aren’t much use anyway!

Another half hour sees us to the next town and Pat finds a place that has bike parts. He has the new lever fitted as a brake lever in no time. Lucky we’re not on KTMs or BMWs!

i-5zMx4d8-X3.jpg

Our objective today is to reach Kharkorin, a large town and capital of the Ovorkhangai province. The modern town lies beside the ruins of the ancient capital of the Mongol Empire, Karakorum. The petrol, puncture and clutch lever have delayed us but we would still like to make Kharakorin today so we continue in a broadly easterly/northeasterly direction. Again, the going is quite varied and our progress is erratic. We find ourselves going in the wrong direction a couple of times and retrace our steps. Kharkorin lies in the eastern foothills of the Khangai mountains and part of the Orkhon Valley Cultural Landscape as designated by UNESCO. These mountains are very scenic and we pass through a section where the surface is grassy with huge rocks appearing to have been placed randomly. Light is beginning to fade as the evening is closing in but we reckon that we are only about an hour away from Kharkorin and decide to press on. We realise that it’s not wise to drive offroad in failing light but Kharkorin is pulling us onward.

After about another half hour or so we crest a ridge and see the brightly lit town laid out below us. By now it is quite dark and we make our way carefully down the track and eventually arrive at tarmac on the edge of the town. We pull up beside a shop which is still open and check to see if we have 4G. We have, so I look up Booking.com and see accommodation offered in a ger which is not too far away. I phone the owner and am discussing the deal when we notice that a lady driving a car has pulled in beside us, has hopped out and is waiting to talk to us. It turns out that she has accommodation also. I would normally be sceptical of this kind of approach but she has very good English and mentions that she has had bikers stay with her before. She shows us the brochure for her accommodation and she even knows about Cheke in Ulan Bataar. She offers to show us the way to her place which is about 10 mins away. This sounds great so I phone back the Booking.com lady and cancel. Very soon after we are unpacking the bikes in a lovely place that has about 10 gers, a garage for the bikes, hot showers, a meal being prepared and a fire on in the ger. What could be finer?

She has a large, well appointed ger for dining in and after changing we head for a tasty meal and some good beers. There are two Russian couples and two young French guys there too. They have guitars and we join in the sing song which features a lot of Beatles songs.

i-znC6ctX-X3.jpg

It's been a long and tiring day and we gladly fall into our cosy beds and are asleep within minutes.

Brilliant report - many thanks for taking the time to share it with us....:beerjug:

Day 13

Pat has been talking to Eduardo via Whatsapp and he is now in Kharkorin also. He too wants to visit the famous Erdene Zuu monastery nearby so we give him our co-ords and he joins us. It’s very warm today and we know that we’ll be walking around the monastery so we yield to temptation and leave our gear at the accommodation and ride up to the monastery in t-shirts and walking shoes. Yes, yes I know – it’s a no no, but man, it felt great!

Originally constructed in the late 16th century, it’s had a chequered history but after the fall of communism in Mongolia in 1990 it has returned to being an active Buddhist monastery which is also open to the public.

i-WhGMZpL-X3.jpg

It’s a huge walled compound with many buildings within. Although there are many tourists like ourselves there is a definite sense of calm and serenity.

i-rMbH4f8-X3.jpg

i-zZSBsHB-X3.jpg

i-trgdWxm-X3.jpg

i-KZRrVbd-X3.jpg

Buddha is represented many times and in many forms, sometimes with a very gentle appearance and sometimes looking quite fierce.

i-Nrq4G39-X3.png

We are surprised when we enter one building to see that monks are praying and studying and there is an older monk giving instruction to some very young looking monks. At one stage when he turns his back I see one of the young fellas taking out a phone from under his robes for a quick peek.

i-R73QqB8-X3.png

At all of the temples and prayer rooms we notice that the local people leave by joining their hands reverently and stepping out backways. We, of course, do the same.

There is a ger set up as a café and we enjoy a few really nice coffees before heading back out to the bustle of the street where ther are the usual souvenir shops and a guy with an eagle tethered to a perch. For a small payment you can have your photo taken with the eagle on your arm while wearing a protective gauntlet. We each take our turn and I’m surprised at how heavy he is. At the time it seemed like an opportunity to be availed of but I can’t help thinking afterwards that these majestic birds shouldn’t be tethered to a perch just to give tourists a photo-op.

We go back to the accommodation and get geared up for the trip back to Ulan Bataar. It’s 365km on tarmac so it will take all day. The visit to the monastery has set us back a bit but the bikes have to be left back tomorrow and we have learned from the French guys that a bike rally is taking place this weekend at the Genghis Khan statue which is about 50/60 km from UB and we’d really like to get to it. This means that we need to make UB by this evening.

There’s a desert-like area to the northwest of Kharkorin that’s called the Mini Gobi and we pull over for a look. The lads tell me that I can regard the Gobi box as ticked but I assure them it isn’t.

i-SCZMKPb-X3.jpg

Some time later we come to a very impressive canyon which is close to the road. It’s not quite the Grand Canyon but nonetheless we are glad to take a break and admire the scenery.

i-GddJHt4-X3.jpg

We keep moving and progress is steady. All is well until my bike starts behaving strangely. The engine is surging and power is erratic. If I ease off on the throttle I can coax it along at about 30kph but eventually it comes to a stop as if it has run out of petrol. I know this can’t be the case as we fueled up only about an hour ago. After a wait of about 10 mins it restarts and then it behaves normally for another 20 mins or so before the surging and spluttering starts again. This pattern continues for quite a while and despite lots of examination and scratching of heads we can’t figure out what’s wrong.

Eventually Frank wonders if it might be the fuel filter that’s blocked so he disconnects it and discovers that there are lots of particles in it that must have become dislodged when I ran out of fuel. Each time I stopped a sufficient amount of petrol was seeping through to the carburetor to allow the bike to go for about 20 mins. He blows out the filter and the problem is solved. Bravo, Frank!

Each of these stops gives us the opportunity to nibble at some biscuits and crisps

i-mZFZLCf-X3.png

All of this only serves to further delay us and as light is beginning to fade we are still about 70km from UB. We discuss stopping and setting up camp for the night and while this is the obviously prudent thing to do we do what is universally recognized as a no-no and keep driving on a busy road in the dark. Eduardo has no rear light but has a good front one so he goes in front, my headlamp is mediocre but I have a good tail-light so I take up the rear and Frank and Pat whose lights are poor go in the middle. I am much more anxious riding in the dark on tarmac than I was when we were off-road in the dark last evening as I know that we could encounter some serious pot holes and also have to contend with vehicles overtaking us as well as oncoming traffic with all kinds of maladjusted lighting.

We had agreed that we would go with the first available accommodation we come across and expect to get something as we approach the outskirts of UB but the few we come across either aren’t open or don’t have availability. The road is becoming busier as we draw closer to UB and eventually we find ourselves on a six lane (3 in each direction) dual carriageway which becomes Peace Avenue, the main thoroughfare running through UB. Traffic is insane with cars weaving from lane to lane without any signals and doing all kinds of unpredictable maneuvers.

We come to an area where there are a number of hotels and begin making enquiries. Eduardo finds one that has a lock-up yard for the bikes and as it’s well after 11.30pm we gladly check-in. We get a quick bite to eat in a fast food place nearby, follow up with some beers in a local bar and head back.

It’s been a long and grueling day, but we made it back to UB.

Enjoying your report, it sounds like a great trip and a good way to see a little bit of the country/ I suspect a few folk will be having a look into flights and bike hire after reading this!

Obviously you don't get the full package of riding your own bike all the way there but you can have a taster in a couple of weeks which has to be worthwhile

Enjoying your report, it sounds like a great trip and a good way to see a little bit of the country/ I suspect a few folk will be having a look into flights and bike hire after reading this!

Obviously you don't get the full package of riding your own bike all the way there but you can have a taster in a couple of weeks which has to be worthwhile

I fully agree NJ, there's nothing like being away someplace with your own machine, but when that isn't achievable for one reason or another the fly-drive option is certainly worth considering. It makes far away places do-able and delivers on giving a taste of biking in someplace we wouldn't normally be able to get to.

Day 14

Well, it had to come - today is our last day with the bikes, we have to return them by this evening as our flight to Beijing leaves at 6am tomorrow morning. We have booked into the Khovsgol Lake Hotel again (this was the place we stayed on our first night two weeks ago) as it’s in the city centre and it should be easier to get a taxi to the airport from there at 4am. Last night’s hotel, The New West (it was excellent) is about 4.5km along Peace Avenue from the city centre

i-6vS9MMZ-X2.jpg

We decide to go to the Khovsgol Hotel first to see if we can leave our luggage there. Traffic is a little lighter as it is Sunday morning but we are kept on our toes nonetheless. Peace Avenue is pretty much a straight line through UB so we have no difficulty finding the Khovsgol again. There’s no problem leaving our bags there, it’s good to get rid of them.

The main thing on the agenda for today is to go to the giant statue of Genghis Khan which is about 60km outside the city to the East. The bike rally we were told about is finishing up there today so hopefully we’ll catch some of it. It’s the 5th Annual Steppewind Rally and it brings all the Harley and other chopper style riders of the region together. We’re not sure how a few Chinese 150cc bikes might fit in but we’ll go to see the statue anyway.

We are only gone about 10 mins from the hotel when traffic becomes gridlocked. A couple of cops are trying to do point duty at a big junction but it makes no difference. We weave and filter our way to the top of the queue and one of the cops gives us the nod to continue. Emboldened, we switch into full hooligan mode and whizz through the sometimes stopped, sometimes moving traffic. Having spent the last two weeks with virtually nothing around, I get a great buzz from it.

We had been told that the road out to GK’s statue was tarmac but after about 8km we come to extensive roadworks and it’s a gravel road from there until about the last 15km or so. The road is very busy in both directions and there is a huge volume of dust being generated. As we draw nearer to the statue we begin to meet bikers coming in the opposite direction. They are all riding Harleys and are decked out in the typical gear, half helmets, bandanas, leather waistcoats, etc. What is really surprising, apart of course from actually seeing Harley Davidsons riding off-road in Mongolia, is that they all give us an enthusiastic wave as they pass. Very strange indeed.

After a while we come over a hill and see the huge, shiny statue dominating the landscape. Built in 2008 it is currently the largest equestrian statue in the world. The three French guys are here and are hoping to find buyers for their Africa Twins. They plan on flying to the USA to continue their travels but would like to source some bikes there rather than ship these ones.

i-hSkCVSF-X3.jpg

i-gHxH66S-X3.jpg

Although the rally is winding down we are made feel very welcome.

i-FkBGDJd-X3.jpg

The band is still on stage and barbecue food and beer is available. I get a very definite sense that this is not your typical bike rally. These bikers are generally well-to-do gents who have lots of spare income to spend on expensive imported toys. It’s the first bike rally I’ve experienced where you can buy a set of cuff links, etc with the rally logo on them. I kid you not ...

i-KdN8wqt-X3.jpg

There is a good buzz around the place with bikers from southern Russia here too (some on GSs) but the clock is ticking and we need to get back to UB so we say our goodbyes and with Eduardo we hit the road. The traffic is still quite heavy and the dust is getting everywhere. It takes a while to get around UB and make our way out to Cheke’s past the airport. We have phoned ahead and she welcomes us back with some ice cold cans of beer. We feel a bit like the characters from the old movie “Ice Cold in Alex” a clip from which was more recently used in a Carlsberg ad. That’s me on the right …

i-42bRfdR-X2.jpg

She’s happy that the bikes are still running and there’s no red tape. We hand her back the registration documents and she gives us our passports. We could have left a money deposit at the beginning but decided to leave the passports when we saw that she had a safe to store them in and also lived onsite. She has a guy who does taxi work for her and he comes to bring us back to the hotel in the city centre. We also make an arrangement with him to pick us up in the morning at 4am.

After checking in we wash the dust of the day off in the shower and head out for a bite. As it’s our last evening in Mongolia we push the boat out with some good steaks and some more cold beers. A quick walk back across the main square to the hotel, sort out the bags for the morning and hit the hay.

We’re really happy to have finished the trip without any major issues, accidents, medical problems, etc.

The only question is … Where next?

Really enjoyed the report.
Glad you took the time to write it up.

Will see ye in Leenane shortly.
And will get you a Carlsberg in return.

Loved the report it looks like you all thoroughly enjoyed the trip.
May as well have the film star treatment too :D
6b553dba19f5e5e2766b31e3e7bb4fb4.png

Back
Top Bottom