Rear shock

Benhur Malta

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dear all,

What are your collective recommendations in terms of aftermarket rear shocks....

Ohlins are out of my price range...

I have seen bitubo shocks on eBay, and would also considered a professionally reconditioned factory shock.

My problem is I cannot afford the time to take off my shock and send it to someone for refurbishment as the bike is a daily driver and no one in Malta is qualified to do this work ( in my opinion)

So given that my shock is 40000 miles old I am assuming that it is time for a change, and am open to any suggestions you wise gentlemen might consider suitable

Thanks

R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good questions all...

2010 gs (not adv) twincam with 60000km on factory shocks both front and rear

I am 90kg...14 stone

R.

I remember the British company Nitron asking to borrow a GS years ago as a test mule to develop some shocks. I know their products are reputedly good quality and reasonably priced, although I've never used them myself.

Wilbers are also very good, I had them on my previous GS. High quality but less money than Ohlins.

Why not buy a set of used OE shocks on eBay, post them off to UK for overhaul then fit, keeping your old units to repeat in future if needed? I had my 2008 ESA shocks rebuilt by MCT in Stowmarket, UK and other companies can also rebuild them, including our very own Denzo here on the forum (in Croydon).

Is it ESA? If not, do you use the remote preload adjuster much? (NB this is an expensive add-on for aftermarket shocks so it may make a difference to your choice)

It’s not esa...and the truth is that in my other bikes, I set the suspension once and forget about it....so the remote adjuster is not really that much of a priority. If I am going in a trip with SWMBO then I would adjust the preload before she gets on board...

R.

Depending on the riding you do you may want a spring that is about 10% stiffer than stock. If you get a new shock, most manufacturers will supply a spring for your weight. Obviously a reconditioned unit would need a new spring - if you wanted to change it, that is.

I would go with another linear spring, but Hyperpro units come with progressive if that is your preference.

In terms of new shocks, you need to decide on functionality as well as brand. OEM Showa has rebound and compression damping adjusted together. You can get the same again, or separate rebound and compression. This depends on what you use, but if you set up and leave it then there is no real reason to get separate adjustment.

I would discount YSS as only rebound is adjustable. Hagon and Shock Factory are cheaper brands although I can't vouch for them. Nitron is top quality although more expensive. Wilbers seems to be Nitron equivalent quality, but my understanding is that entry level Wilbers doesn't have compression adjustment, only rebound.

Lots of people on here seem to like Wilbers, so it is worth looking at.

Am not certain about reconditioned units myself. The Showa shock is not serviceable without drilling and tapping a hole in the unit to re-gas it. Speaking to a local suspension tuner he refuses to do this as he says it rarely holds the gas pressure very well and so needs more frequent servicing. I don't know if that's right as it is beyond my abilities to decide if that is true - although it isn't illogical. Lots of people on here have their shocks rebuilt and seem happy with them, so it can't be that much of an issue. Personally, if I was already spending a few hundred quid on this I would probably just get a new unit of good quality

The wilbers are made for you. You need to know yours and your wifes weights ,add panniers ,boxes and luggage, hair dryers, kitchen sink , and they make them for you to suit. They really are very good, they transformed my 1150 two up.

Back
Top Bottom