Dead at the key...

Bypass doesn't make any difference - there is no electrics coming on at the key. BUT, there is plenty of power in the battery, it is fully charged and strong - and putting an allen key across the starter contact to the spade end connector created a fat spark! So the wiring has power in it - but it doesn't get to the key and it was before I took the old key section of wiring off - this is what puzzles me so much, I haven't touched anything else.

Any suggestions? PLEASE.

Bypass doesn't make any difference - there is no electrics coming on at the key. BUT, there is plenty of power in the battery, it is fully charged and strong - and putting an allen key across the starter contact to the spade end connector created a fat spark! So the wiring has power in it - but it doesn't get to the key and it was before I took the old key section of wiring off - this is what puzzles me so much, I haven't touched anything else.

Any suggestions? PLEASE.

It's unlikely that the new switch & its wiring are at fault, so try looking downstream - the bike's loom from the 'orange block'. You should be able to temporarily connect the pins in the loom socket to check. Wiring diagram here: LINKY

No power to the key-switch connector means there's a problem between it and the battery. Trace the wiring, fuses, connectors with a meter.

Bypass doesn't make any difference - there is no electrics coming on at the key. .

Have you done the bypass correctly ? Just to be clear, Unplug the orange connector and bridge the green and red wire on the bikes orange connector block, not the ignition switch loom connector.
:D

Stop blindly flailing around disconnecting and removing things.

Have you done the bypass correctly ? Just to be clear, Unplug the orange connector and bridge the green and red wire on the bikes orange connector block, not the ignition switch loom connector.
:D

Stop blindly flailing around disconnecting and removing things.

That was what I did , because of the advice with the two way switch picture attached.... I shall stick a wire in the orange block on the bike and try it.
Thank you.

No power to the key-switch connector means there's a problem between it and the battery. Trace the wiring, fuses, connectors with a meter.

I don't have one any more - and as it is about 25 years since I used one, I am not sure I can remember how to.

Bypass doesn't make any difference - there is no electrics coming on at the key. BUT, there is plenty of power in the battery, it is fully charged and strong - and putting an allen key across the starter contact to the spade end connector created a fat spark! So the wiring has power in it -.

Puzzled, surely there should be no power to the relay if the ignition is of???

I don't know - I am just trying to do what people have suggested. I think I am going to get a dealer to come and fetch it and sort it out. I am just getting more and more confused. The orange block crossed wirre hasn't brought the dash lights on either.

What relay ? Ratty has directly bridged the live terminal (which comes straight from the battery) on the starter motor.

Any suggestions? PLEASE.

I don't have one any more - and as it is about 25 years since I used one, I am not sure I can remember how to.

Perhaps you have a friend nearby who has one and can help. If you can't diagnose the problem, you'll struggle to fix it.

Thanks for trying to help folks. I have given up with it - a dealer is coming to fetch it tomorrow to take it to the workshop to fix it. It is causing me too much anxiety and I have lost the motivation now, but thank you for trying. Nothing seemed to work.

Well, it would appear that I must have not lined the plastic bit up properly in the barrel... it worked perfectly when they tried it at the workshop. I tried it with a screwdriver, can't have turned it to the correct position. :blast :surrender

Well, it would appear that I must have not lined the plastic bit up properly in the barrel... it worked perfectly when they tried it at the workshop. I tried it with a screwdriver, can't have turned it to the correct position. :blast :surrender

Sweet mother of Jesus.
I thought it was just modern tech that you had difficulty mastering... This is as analogue as it's possible to get. A plastic switch that needs turning :D

Sweet mother of Jesus.
I thought it was just modern tech that you had difficulty mastering... This is as analogue as it's possible to get. A plastic switch that needs turning :D

OK, OK - but what about the time you went through everything only to find the quick release fuel line wasn't propely fastened.... after you had swapped injectors and everything! :p

In King Rats defence I’m sure we have all had issues before that when looked at by another appears a simple solution which we missed. Though the “switch” to ribbing on here is not unusual and is a “key” reminder to step back from a problem sometimes to think it through.

In King Rats defence I’m sure we have all had issues before that when looked at by another appears a simple solution which we missed. Though the “switch” to ribbing on here is not unusual and is a “key” reminder to step back from a problem sometimes to think it through.

Are you sure you haven't got your wires crossed?

Back
Top Bottom