Germany Austria Slovenia etc.....another view

gerarddwatts

huge member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Finally the long awaited annual trip.....

We left Glenshee in a day of light showers following a night of vicious storms and rain. Usual boring old trip round Embra and down to a fine luncheon at Eyemouth, thence on to DFDS at North Shields.
DFDS now start early boarding in the summer, so we were straight on and parked with plenty of room to move about the bike....the only snag was the only straps available were the 2 we were given...to keep...at checkin....if you want more, pack a couple.
Our sea view cabins turned out to be invalid ones, so plenty of room, especially in the shower! Also
on the same floor as the restaurant shop etc.
A new personal best for getting off and out....3rd vehicle off, straight through passport, driving out by 0955. Marvellous!

Cant do more now....beer arrived...

Hey Gerard, must have just missed you:eek: - Joyce an I just got off the boat this morning in Newcastle and had a dry - but windy run home.
Now having to re-acclimatise after a month of very hot weather in Europe.

Have a great time:thumb

Cheers..........................Grizzly:beerjug:

When you say they are doing early boarding, what exactly do you mean ? I'm guessing it's not the usual stand around there for 2.5 hours then board at 5.15 for the 5.30 departure like as always.

Very windy run down George....rain stayed off. Welcome back....you missed big storms on Sat night....

Have a look at the DFDS website...now boarding from 1300..no queue at all and straight on...maybe 5 or 10 minute wait. On, showered and in the Skybar!

So our first port of call was Landhotel Windlicht at Krombach, east of Frankfurt. A diversion round Frankfurt took us on the A45, but we were able to get a bit of progress...I know many will sneer at use of big roads, but if you've distance to cover there is little option.

We were at the hotel just before 5, having had one pee stop and a fuel stop. A long day but not too taxing. The hotel is great...well away from the motorway, in the Bavarian woods. Fabulous restaurant...obviously a popular destination. Comfortable rooms, balcony, etc. Genial host who came out and told us to put the bikes on the disabled area by the door.

https://www.google.com/travel/hotel...0wNy0wMyIYCgoyMDE5LTA3LTAyEgoyMDE5LTA3LTAzUgA

Very acceptable breakfast...scrambled eggs and smoked salmon....and onwards. Beautiful morning.

Bimble through the wooded lanes onto the A3....huge motorway, massive investment. Boring, but covers the ground.

Buggered if Ican see how to get pix on from my phone...only just managed from my laptop.

If you get Tapatalk on your phone and sign in to the forum using that, you should be able to add photos from your phone directly.

Just a small sorbet selection
86a678782bdfeabcce98721a9142d812.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ok...seem to have it...

Now at our next stop off in Rosenheim...

https://www.booking.com/searchresul.......I'll let you know what the grub is like.

A decent enough lodgings...let down by the welcome...door locked and had to phone to get let in at 3.40.
Grub ok but not as good as night before. Breakfast good.

The German motorway system is very much work in progress...hundreds of lorries! At least they are pretty good at keeping to the right, allowing normal humans to get about their business. Not looking forward to the return!.

The hotel was a bit away from the motorway, which gave us a decent run to the main roads. Even spotted a roe deer!

I think it will be a long time before I am persuaded to use German main roads to any great degree!

On the next day...much quieter roads, and into Austria. I had bought a digital vignette and digital tolls fot the A10, and the Karawanken tunnel, having been persuaded that it was all done digitally rather than have to ferret about in pockets. Not a bit! Despite several notces on the approach to the tolls assuring me that they were all digital, it aint so. Make sure you go to the kiosk with a person, and that you have printed, and have readily available your printed confirmation....so much for digital...erses.

A light shower on the border didn't do much, and on through the nearly 8k of Karawnken tunnel.....34 degs in the middle....yuk. I know there is a alternative....I've done it, but I just wanted to get to the hotel in Ljubljana fairly promptly. Having said that, we had bought Slovenian vignettes before departure, but they only last for 7 days, and we would need them to get to the Czech Republic at the other end. I had seen that there is an alternative route running pretty much parallel to the motorway so we did that...much nicer and not much slower.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/si/fl...02;srpvid=cfc16721bfd50065;type=total;ucfs=1&

https://www.booking.com/hotel/si/fl...44;srpvid=41da676795560085;type=total;ucfs=1&

Fuxxake...Florjankov Hram..

Was our hotel....on first acquaintance very nice....1006 miles from home!

I had a digital vignette for Austria last year and had no issues.
Maybe you look more dodgy than me Gerard!

I find that very hard to believe...it wasn't the digital vignette that was the problem, it was the A10 toll...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom