Rukka suit ( hot weather)

MAR.600

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
Looking for some advice I wear a Rukka suit looking at the temps aboard at the moment, its looking to warm to wear .
Heading to Portsmouth Santander, pyrenees, Barcelona areas. During from Scotland so I need the suit coming down for all weathers.
Can anyone recommend what to wear underneath ie keeping cool.

No funny comments please.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I always wear a EDZ all climate one piece under all of my bike clothing all year round, keeps you cool by wicking moisture away from your body and also you dont get clammy skin so your suit liner does not stick to your body or snag up when moving. That way you are much more comfortable on the bike especially in hot weather.

I also wear a EDZ helmet liner for the same reasons as it makes it miles easier putting your helmet on whilst holding your ears in place and helps with the wind noise.

Both are easy to wash and saves washing your Rukka suit or helmet liner frequently.

To top it all they are made in Cumbria

To wear underneath?

Anything that will wick sweat away.

Top of the pile comes Merino wool. Then the synthetics. Merino wool will work fine when the temperatures drop, too. Buy and use with absolute confidence. Looked after, it will last for years.

I used Pro Skins. BSB riders wear this kit as well. I have been wearing Pro Skins for a couple of years now, it keeps you at a constant temp in hot weather and keeps you warm in the winter. Used to wear marino wool, but IMHO this is stuff is a lot better. You will be warm, but you won't sweat at all and the stuff doesn't stink, it has stuff in the cloth to stop stinks. If you want to rinse it out, it will dry overnight. Wore it last year in France in 30 degs was hot but was very impressed. Infinity stock it.

The reality is when it is hot you will get hot regardless of your attire

Mesh jackets seem to be all the rage these days ( and are good for a couple of hours out in the English hot weather) but they may make you feel cooler but in reality will dehydrate you quicker and leave you at the mercy of heat stroke if riding say in Spain

As said thin merino base layers a little bit of venting just for the sake of it and drink twice as much water as you think you can

You will still feel hot

You don't say what Rukka you have - if Pro Shell with some venting, then Merino as mentioned above is good. If you have Performance Shell (Z Liner) with no vents, you should possibly look at a cheap summer Jacket / Biker Jeans with waterproofs as these Suits get very hot (from experience :mad:). If you have the removable Goretex liner, then you should be OK as these are supposed to be a four season Jacket - but tricky to use, especially if caught out in a heavy shower. A little more detail should get you better advice:rob

Marino is good, but the new technical base layers such as Pro Skins is better. You will be warm/hot, but comfortable and you won't get any hotter once you get to a point, it will be constant. When I was in France, I didn't have my air flow jacket with me, I was wearing a Rukka Navigator suit. I also wore the kit in Wales last year in the heat and again, warm, but didn't sweat and was comfortable.

Mountain warehouse isocool tee shirt
Rukka areas in 32C surprisingly bearable
Cycling shorts to keep nappy rash at bay
Soaked neckie helps to cool
Lots of water from hydration pack

Have a look at the Adventure Spec Layering stuff.

They do a range of jackets to cover all temperatures, if you need waterproof on top, they have a lightweight waterproof layer.

It looks to me like a really good system. I'll be investing in some at some point.

If it's silly hot, the best solution is to remove passport and other personal stuff from the jacket and then immerse the whole jacket in a sink at a motorway services and then ride on. The refrigeration effect will last an hour or so, then repeat. I once did this seven times coming through Spain using the radiator fill hoses at fuel stations, but the water in these can be tainted, so a wash basin source is better. Try not to get too much water on the floor...

I always avoid riding suits with black across the shoulders and back.

Thanks for all the info.
A wee trip to J&s and infinity at the weekend

Thanks for all the info.
A wee trip to J&s and infinity at the weekend

if looking for base layers go to a somewhere like Mountain Warehouse as they will be cheaper for merino wool plus their own brand "technical" shirts as mentioned above are pretty good - rinse out in the hotel sink and wear the following morning as they dry very quickly. Saves having to carry several shirts.

if looking for base layers go to a somewhere like Mountain Warehouse as they will be cheaper for merino wool plus their own brand "technical" shirts as mentioned above are pretty good - rinse out in the hotel sink and wear the following morning as they dry very quickly. Saves having to carry several shirts.

But Marino wool is not as good as the latest technical base layers, but hey ho!

merino wool is the devils spawn in my opinion, the most itchy material known to man if you ask me.

Make sure you try it against your skin before you buy

merino wool is the devils spawn in my opinion, the most itchy material known to man if you ask me.

Agreed initially itchy stuff but after a fews mins you get over it! Best at keeping you comfortable in hot weather imo.

I use proskin for the pants as they are more comfortable than merino wool and the snug fit means no creases on the joint areas so less discomfort.

Marino Wool T-Shirt and a Macna Dry Cooling Vest.

The cooling vest keeps you dry, but drops your core temperature by upto 15 degrees using a method of evaporative cooling and airflow.

In very humid conditions, use their wet cooling vest which you immerse it in water, gel capsules hold onto the water for longer AND you can add ice packs. Downside is you'll be wet through.

You sure you are wearing 100% Marino Wool, and not a blend?

Back
Top Bottom